Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Should I take this job- will it help with my application? I have to decide today  (Read 1169 times)

Atossa

• View Profile
Hi there,

I have been offered a job as Academic Affairs Supervisor.  Currently, I am an academic counselor.  Everyone talks about the importance of showing leadership skills for a non-trad student, so I am very tempted to take the job. It would show a "promotion".   However, my current salary is already above the salary range for the new position (due to getting a good raise on my annual review).  Is it stupid to take a "supervisory" job just for the title? I would then have to hope a higher role opens up sometime soon in the new job so that I could also get a raise. Any thoughts about this would be greatly appreciated. Thank you. 

jgruber

You're measuring money against increased chance of admission.  The first step should be to measure your current chances for admission.

dsong02

• Sr. Citizen
  • small. yellow. different.
    • View Profile
itll be good only if youre going to stay in your current profession.  i dont think that a supervisor title will help you enough on law school applications enough for you to take a paycut.  you might want to just explain on your resume that youve been given great reviews on your current position.

IMHO, the fact that you are a counselor shows leadership in itself.  
'why does it hurt so much when i poke it?'

Atossa

• View Profile
Does it? Wow, I never thought of it that way before.  That makes sense.  My current chances of admission are: 3.7 LSAC cumulative.  (3.12 UC Berkeley). I took the LSAT 4 years ago, didn't study much and got a 152.  I plan on taking an LSAT course to raise it. ( If I ever master those darned logic games).  I have been working my entire adult life.  I am pretty average, I guess.  I am happy in my current position so if you don't think adding "supervisor" is going to make much difference, I probably shouldn't take the job.  I know I am confusing issues, making it harder to make a decision.  In general, would you take a job with a higher title if you were not offered a raise?  Thanks so much for your quick replies, I have to be there at 10:00 with a decision.  :-\

jgruber

Titles mean nothing to me.  I can't spend them.

I think the other poster is right.  The supervisor title won't gain you much, so don't go for it unless you really need to boost your chances.

dsong02

• Sr. Citizen
  • small. yellow. different.
    • View Profile
i cant empathize with your situation because my profession automatically equates a pay raise with a rise in rank.  however, if i were ever put in your situation, i would probably opt to take the money, rather than the supervisor position.  and since youre going to law school, the money will be more important than a title that you will be giving up after you enter school.

i dont think it is going to make that much of a difference on law school applications though...

and looking at it completely objectively, the title of 'academic counselor' and 'Academic Affairs Supervisor' do not seem that different.  id have to look at job descriptions and responsibilities before making the distinction that one is 'better' than the other.  but thats just me...
'why does it hurt so much when i poke it?'

Atossa

• View Profile
Thanks so much. Great advice.  I am going to stay put and thank them for the offer.  By the by: when I told the requisitioning manager what my salary was, he immediately assumed I was turning down the position and said, "oh, okay, I will still be calling on you when the next higher level opens up".  I should have taken that as a sign.... Thanks again.