Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: what's BC like?  (Read 4823 times)

long_gone

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: what's BC like?
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2004, 09:08:37 PM »
as a native of toronto, an alumnus of mcgill, and a current resident of vancouver, i have to say that BC and the city of vancouver are unequivocally the best places to live in the world.  i will be devastated if i don't get into UBC because i love vancouver so much.  the people in vancouver are so much friendlier than in toronto or montreal, the weather is way better (sure it rains during the winter but it's better than freezing your ass off), you are right by the beach and the mountains and can go snowboarding any day of the week at local mountains.  the atmosphere is relaxed and easy-going.  i remember when i first moved here, after spending my entire life on the east coast, i was baffled by the way people behaved.  they walked more slowly, drove slowly, smiled at you, and waited until the light turned green to cross the street.  it drove me INSANE!  if you live in toronto or montreal, you know about people rushing like they are always in hurries, honking horns and looking like the world is going to end.  now, i find myself walking slowly and smiling at people, too.  it sounds super cheesy, but i think the thing about vancouverites is that we enjoy life.  we are mellow, laid-back, and don't get as angry as those east-coast cities.  whenever my sister comes here (a torontonian), she always remarks at how at peace she feels and happy to be here.  the air is cleaner and everything is GREEN.

seriously, i should be paid to give these kind of endorsements but i love the city of vancouver!

Frendlier?  How could that be?  Everyone I met from Vancouver _is_ from Toronto or somewhere in Ontario.  Whistler's even worse.  I'm only half-joking btw.  Last time I was there I met only ONE actual native.

No longer here.

victrola

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2004, 09:16:22 PM »
it's true.  vancouver is like nyc:  everyone's a transplant.  still, i became friendlier and less of a stress-case after moving here.  people should take before and after blood pressure tests to see if the atmosphere is really as chill as i feel it is. 

long_gone

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2004, 09:28:29 PM »
it's true.  vancouver is like nyc:  everyone's a transplant.  still, i became friendlier and less of a stress-case after moving here.  people should take before and after blood pressure tests to see if the atmosphere is really as chill as i feel it is. 

Heh, it probably depends on a type of person you are.  Me, I will not be leaving Toronto (except for school like I did for my undergrad), but my friend also can't wait to leave for Vancouver.  We're into very different things, and I think this may explain a part of it.  The mountains, however, I adore in BC because I always lived around them in my 'old' country. 

If I wasn't a big city person, however, I'd move to Victoria in a second.  I really 'felt' something there.
No longer here.

Cheeks

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2004, 09:38:00 PM »
I want to move to a small town, like victoria.  I love the feeling of small towns.  It's weird because I've lived in Toronto my whole life, but I've spend a few months here and there in little places and I think that's how I want to spend the rest of my life.

Everything in Toronto is so complicated.  The smallest things take forever to do and people are just different.  blah ...

long_gone

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2004, 10:12:06 PM »
I want to move to a small town, like victoria.  I love the feeling of small towns.  It's weird because I've lived in Toronto my whole life, but I've spend a few months here and there in little places and I think that's how I want to spend the rest of my life.

Everything in Toronto is so complicated.  The smallest things take forever to do and people are just different.  blah ...

Heh, I'm a big fan of Toronto.  However, I LOVE crowds, being packed like a sardine on Yonge or Spadina, etc. etc.  I am into billions of coffee shops, immigrants from all ovver the place and so forth.  Funny too because I am claustrophobic and yet loved packed places.  With regards to small towns, I haven't been to a nicer one than Victoria.  I was rather amazed.  Unless you mean really really small town.
No longer here.

Crazy Canuck

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2004, 11:54:41 PM »
I live in BC and its absolutely beautiful, I could go on for hours about the many reasons to live here. If I had better marks I would go to law school here in a heartbeat.

Praetor

• Sr. Citizen
  • Proud Canadian
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2004, 08:43:08 PM »
Cheeks, BC is a lot of fun. I'm going there tomorrow to visit friends for a week and take my mind off wait for LSAT results. UVIC is a small campus, really laid back, there is an official pot smoking club on campus. Good club scene, right on the water. Five minute wak to the beach from campus. Can't say enough good things about it.

Vancouver is similar to Toronto with better weather, nicer people and a worse hockey team.

I love both cities and have spent a good deal of time there. If you go there you will have a lot of fun. However, I won't be applying there despite how much I like the cities.

Cheeks

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2004, 08:48:15 PM »
UVic is my dream school right now i think.  Just cause Victoria is so nice and i love small cities it seems really laid back which is something i need right now.

I'm going to call them tomorrow and ask about this "index" thingy.  With them weighting GPA so heavily, I want to know how they'll calculate my GPA.  If anyone has any questions, let me know and i'll ask them.

Praetor

• Sr. Citizen
  • Proud Canadian
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2004, 08:57:05 PM »
The only problem with Vic is that there are lots of old people and lots of homeless people. The homeless people are actually a serious problem. Besides that it is a great city. I can see why it would be your dream school, might be mine too if there was a decent hockey team within 4,000 km.

Cheeks

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2004, 09:08:36 PM »
well, i'm from downtown toronto so i think i would be okay with the homeless (and I lived in detroit for a bit  :-\).

And the canucks aren't bad...