Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Science RC Passages!!!  (Read 379 times)

Jets

• Sr. Citizen
  • At least the Pats missed the playoffs...
    • View Profile
Science RC Passages!!!
« on: June 29, 2006, 12:24:39 PM »
I don't really know how (or why) but whenever I do a science RC passage I have NO IDEA what is going on, and am absolutely CERTAIN i'll bomb all the questions as I'm reading it. Somehow, though, I always seem do get the answers right on time -- does this happen to anyone else? How can I make myself comfortable to the extent that I feel like I know what I'm doing as I do it and am not surprised to learn that I got them all right?

coselmed

• View Profile
Re: Science RC Passages!!!
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2006, 12:55:21 PM »
I work in pharmaceutical marketing, but find I do better when I pretend I have no knowledge of science or medicine when approaching any science RC passages or arguments.

I've found the science passages to be the easiest--since the developers know that the testtakers are going to be intimidated by the vocabulary, they will often waste unnecessary time reading the entire passage and trying to understand the meaning. The RC questions test your ability to read carefully, not your knowledge of science, and they are mostly comprised of detail questions, not inference questions (ie, ask you to refer to line 'xx' or ask questions about very specific information in the passage vs asking you to draw a conclusion or make an assumption). Once you know that almost all of the answers can be found right in the passage (often verbatim), it should help you cross the mental hurdle.

c00kie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2006, 12:59:53 PM »
I work in pharmaceutical marketing, but find I do better when I pretend I have no knowledge of science or medicine when approaching any science RC passages or arguments.

I've found the science passages to be the easiest--since the developers know that the testtakers are going to be intimidated by the vocabulary, they will often waste unnecessary time reading the entire passage and trying to understand the meaning. The RC questions test your ability to read carefully, not your knowledge of science, and they are mostly comprised of detail questions, not inference questions (ie, ask you to refer to line 'xx' or ask questions about very specific information in the passage vs asking you to draw a conclusion or make an assumption). Once you know that almost all of the answers can be found right in the passage (often verbatim), it should help you cross the mental hurdle.
this is pretty good advice.You may find reading the q's first solely on these passagea helps focus your attention on the important unfamiliar terms.

StudentUVA

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2006, 01:27:06 PM »
I like science passages, they are usually easier for me than other ones. They tend to be very specific, and thus i find it helpful to look over the questions before reading the passage (something everyone advices against)