Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: FSU- What do I need?  (Read 566 times)

redsawxnation

• Sr. Citizen
    • MSN Messenger - amyablue03@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - FUTUREMRSBLUE
    • View Profile
    • myspace
    • Email
FSU- What do I need?
« on: June 29, 2006, 11:32:49 AM »
Hi guys...I have a 3.1 uga and was wondering what lsat score do you think I need to have a good chance of going to fsu? Thanks

BigRig

• Sr. Citizen
  • Detroit Basketball!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - BTRig12
    • View Profile
Re: FSU- What do I need?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2006, 12:43:38 PM »
It's hard to give you an exact number here. Generally, I would say you need higher than 160 if you are not a URM. How much higher depends on several things. Here are the variables I believe you should consider in order to best assess your chances (at FSU or anywhere else):

1) Strength of undergraduate institution and/or curriculum. While I do not believe these factors are necessarily weighted fairly/objectively, you need to consider how they will be viewed by Adcomms in assessing your candidacy (especially if your GPA/LSAT index is on the border).

2) Regarding GPA, make sure to consider the GPA calculated by LSAC (could be higher or lower).

3) URM status or lack thereof. While I cannot be certain, I would estimate that a URM, with a 3.1 from a decent school, with a respected courseload, and no aberrations that would preclude admission might only need a 155.

Unfortunately, admissions decisions are largely a function of a GPA/LSAT weighted index (see law school numbers) and if there are any considerations that you believe need to be taken into account, they can be difficult hurdles (a hurdle I faced was a 12-point jump in my LSAT score -- people will no longer have this problems with the new reporting standard, however). Regardless, it's up to you to position all relevant facts to be considered in the most positive light (like an attorney).

I will answer any questions on the process, as I would have saved a lot of time and energy had I been more informed.
Attending FSU.Go Noles!!!

redsawxnation

• Sr. Citizen
    • MSN Messenger - amyablue03@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - FUTUREMRSBLUE
    • View Profile
    • myspace
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2006, 12:55:56 PM »
what is urm?

BigRig

• Sr. Citizen
  • Detroit Basketball!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - BTRig12
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2006, 02:21:12 PM »
Sorry, I should've known you were new to this. Underrepresented minority = URM. A particular URM classification also could have an effect.
Attending FSU.Go Noles!!!

FSUGeoff

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - FSUGeoff06
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2006, 03:00:48 PM »
Hey BigRig, how's everything going? You have any orientation information mailed out to you yet? We just got our schedule for stuff today.

superchode

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2006, 04:08:16 PM »
I'm planning on being in Tallahassee at the end of July.  Any of you guys like to play golf?  I'm a big golf nut and am looking for people to go with before school starts.  If not we still should all get together before class.

Happy_Weasel

• LSD Obsessed
  • Me and Gir, the happy weasel.
    • MSN Messenger - ominusdemon2@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2006, 04:09:41 PM »
Though, is FSU doable with a higher 150s if you are a resident? But yeah, 160 will probably just get you wled if you are not a res.

FSUGeoff

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2006, 05:57:19 PM »
Though, is FSU doable with a higher 150s if you are a resident? But yeah, 160 will probably just get you wled if you are not a res.

I'm a resident and alum, got 155 pwned.

MrSheep

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2006, 05:57:25 PM »
FSU is banned by state law from using race in their decision process. I'm pretty sure they are breaking that one though.

FSUGeoff

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2006, 05:58:51 PM »
I agree strongly with the above statement