Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What are my chances???  (Read 2117 times)

drewpac

• View Profile
    • Email
What are my chances???
« on: February 05, 2004, 04:23:26 AM »
I know everyone asks this question but here goes:  I've applied to the following schools and I have a 3.26 GPA (UCLA), 164 LSAT, 2 years of work experience on a high-ranking CA official's campaign team as well as "Teach For America", and I am a childhood cancer survivor (personal statement).  Realistically, what are my chances of getting into:

Boston College
Boston U.
George Washington
Univ. of Maryland
Wake Forest
Fordham
William & Mary
Univ. of Conn.
Washington Univ.
Tulane

Also, do you think I would have a chance to get into any top 25 law schools?  Thanks in advance.

applyingsoon

• View Profile
Re: What are my chances???
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2004, 10:06:36 AM »
that's a tough call. everything you've got is great (assuming you also have strong LORs), but as i'm sure you know your GPA is slightly lower than the average at the top schools. if it was a really hard major, or if you showed progress from freshman - senior year, or if there is some event that can explain why you did not so great one semester that brought your grades down, i would say aim for top 20. its hard to say - but i do think you have a good shot at some really good schools in top 50.

drewpac

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2004, 08:51:58 PM »
Thanks for the reply.  I'd be happy with any school in the top fifty.  But I would really love to go to a top 30 law school

Findedeux

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2004, 09:35:18 PM »
The best way to know if you have a shot is to figure out your admission indes number (you can get the formulas from LSAC.com) and then estimate what the school's score that you are interested in would be. All you do is multiply your GPA x A and LSAT x B, take the sum of that and add or subtract C based on its negative or positive value. For example Boston University has a very simple formula. You would multiply 164 x 1, 3.26 x 10, and add O, giving a 196.6, or 197. This would be in contrast to the average at Boston for 2003 entering candidates (might be a little higher based on how much gone up in one year) which is 164/3.52=199. Making your chances less than 50%. Many schools in the botton 30 admit a large percentage of the class just based on numbers, so its a pretty accurate way to determine your chances. Hope that helps.

drewpac

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2004, 09:57:22 PM »
Thanks!  I'll calculate the indexes for the schools I've listed.  I know my gpa is not ideal but it was in a tough major and I'm hoping my life experiences will make up for the lower gpa.

EJRothman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2004, 01:49:25 AM »
I don't know how accurate those indice are going to be in your case.  I am not sure the cancer survival will actually help, but the work experience will depinately give your chances a boost.  I can't say what will actually happen, but you definately have a shot.

Findedeux

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2004, 12:40:19 PM »
I guess what you could do is use the Admissions index as a base and then try to (cautiously) quantify non-quantitative information such as work experience, and being a cancer survivor. I think non-quantitiative information can be so variable in its weight from school to school though. Maybe you could ask the school...

CarpeDiem

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2004, 12:41:15 PM »
You have a decent chance.

wemdomer04

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2004, 05:05:26 PM »
what is the exact site with the formulas on it.  I went to LSAC and i cant find it.

Cheers

WEMDOMER

drewpac

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2004, 01:24:48 AM »
Thanks to everyone that's replied. 
I'm really content to go to any top 50 law school.  I've come to terms with the fact that only the top 14 schools or so place nationally.  I'd eventually like to practice in CA but I'm sick of it here and want to experience someplace new.  I also want a good education.  I told my fiance that I would probably have to work in the region where I go to school for a few years and she's cool with it.  Then I'll use my LA law connections to find myself a job on the left coast. Thanks again and good luck to everyone rushing to the mailbox.