Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Indiana-Bloomington (IUB) Fall 2006  (Read 1009 times)

IUB09

• View Profile
Re: Indiana-Bloomington (IUB) Fall 2006
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2006, 10:57:57 AM »
august 1st.  check out bloomingtonrent.com, or contact the law school office, and they can point you in the right direction.  i wish i could be more of a help, but i only looked at houses.  when is everyone else getting there?  because i am gonna have 3 weeks to kill. and i dont know a soul in btown.

amaizinbluechick19

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2006, 11:00:36 AM »
august 1st.  check out bloomingtonrent.com, or contact the law school office, and they can point you in the right direction.  i wish i could be more of a help, but i only looked at houses.  when is everyone else getting there?  because i am gonna have 3 weeks to kill. and i dont know a soul in btown.

Thanks for the tip... I'll be doing that all day now, instead of work...  :P

I am probably going to be moving in beginning the third week of August... sometime between the 11th and the 14th.  Not positive yet, though.  I'm slated to work though the first two weeks of August, so we'll see.  :)
Accepted: IU-Bloomington ($), Case ($$), American
Waitlisted: ND, Wash&Lee
Rejected: Northwestern, GWU, UNC

lah05

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2006, 09:06:32 PM »
I'm acutally a joint student (MPA/JD) and started the MPA program this past year.  The ability to get both degrees in 4 years is what really drew me to IU.  Plus, I really liked Bloomington when I visited, and the admissions people were great. 

I'm living over in the Crossing, which is close to the mall.  I would definitely look for someplace closer to the law school/downtown if I had the option.  Buses stop running at around midnight (although there is a rumored "drunk bus" that was never there when I needed it), so it would be nice to be within walking distance of the school and the bars.

Attending:  Indiana University-Bloomington
Go Hoosiers!

tacojohn

• Sr. Citizen
  • "I voted. P. Diddy told us to vote"
    • ICQ Messenger - 176834534
    • MSN Messenger - tacojohniu@msn.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - TacoJohnIU
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - tacojohniu@yahoo.com
    • View Profile
    • Fearfully Optimistic
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2006, 08:34:16 AM »
I'm acutally a joint student (MPA/JD) and started the MPA program this past year.  The ability to get both degrees in 4 years is what really drew me to IU.  Plus, I really liked Bloomington when I visited, and the admissions people were great. 

There's a new program which starts real soon (maybe this year, maybe next year) that will allow you to get both degrees in three years.  However, you have to be an exceptional candidate for both the law school and Kelley, and you have to have extensive work experience to prove you can handle the workload.

lah05

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2006, 10:02:51 AM »

There's a new program which starts real soon (maybe this year, maybe next year) that will allow you to get both degrees in three years.  However, you have to be an exceptional candidate for both the law school and Kelley, and you have to have extensive work experience to prove you can handle the workload.

Taco, are you speaking of the B-school joint program or the SPEA program?  I know that the MBA program just started an intensive 3 year joint law program, but I hadn't heard anything about SPEA moving in that direction (and I had Professor Barnes last semester so I'd think he would have mentioned something).  I wouldn't qualify either way, but just curious...
Go Hoosiers!

HoosierTroll09

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2006, 08:50:39 PM »
just moved into poolside apts gettin ready for summer start...anybody else already in town?

amaizinbluechick19

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2006, 02:29:06 PM »
bump...

and...  anyone get a new computer yet?  :)  how about the GradPLUS Loan?
Accepted: IU-Bloomington ($), Case ($$), American
Waitlisted: ND, Wash&Lee
Rejected: Northwestern, GWU, UNC

lah05

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2006, 08:18:46 PM »
For those of you doing summer start, how is it going so far?

I have a Dell Latitude D610 that I bought last year.  It's been a trooper so far (I don't go easy on electronics), so I think it was a good buy.

No GradPLUS loan yet.  Hopefully by the end of this weekend.  I still haven't finished reading the email they sent about it, but I'm not a huge fan of an interest rate fixed at 8.5%.  I guess if rates keep moving in the direction they are currently headed, I should get used to it.  Are you guys going to try to take out all the IU budget will allow, or are you trying to determine your own budget and going from there?

Also, do you know if the law school has a decent student lounge or any sort of convenience store in it?  I did the tour and have been over there several times since, but I don't recall ever seeing either.     
Go Hoosiers!

tacojohn

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Fearfully Optimistic
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2006, 03:22:46 PM »
Taco, are you speaking of the B-school joint program or the SPEA program?  I know that the MBA program just started an intensive 3 year joint law program, but I hadn't heard anything about SPEA moving in that direction (and I had Professor Barnes last semester so I'd think he would have mentioned something).  I wouldn't qualify either way, but just curious...

Sorry, yeah, it's an MBA program, not an MPA program.

tacojohn

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Fearfully Optimistic
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2006, 03:25:09 PM »
For those of you doing summer start, how is it going so far?

I have a Dell Latitude D610 that I bought last year.  It's been a trooper so far (I don't go easy on electronics), so I think it was a good buy.

No GradPLUS loan yet.  Hopefully by the end of this weekend.  I still haven't finished reading the email they sent about it, but I'm not a huge fan of an interest rate fixed at 8.5%.  I guess if rates keep moving in the direction they are currently headed, I should get used to it.  Are you guys going to try to take out all the IU budget will allow, or are you trying to determine your own budget and going from there?

Also, do you know if the law school has a decent student lounge or any sort of convenience store in it?  I did the tour and have been over there several times since, but I don't recall ever seeing either.     

Sorry for the double post.

The student lounge on the ground floor (basement) has lots of nice seating, a big TV, tables and chairs, and a kitchen type area with a coffee machine, fridge, and microwaves.  There is no convienence store, probably because everyone goes to the Circle K across the street, or down the street a tad further (half a block) to Starbucks.