Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Shameful and Frightening: GOP takes measures to supress Black Vote...  (Read 5798 times)

nathanielmark

Re: Shameful and Frightening: GOP takes measures to supress Black Vote...
« Reply #60 on: August 16, 2004, 03:39:01 PM »
you need to take this stuff someplace else, pal.

And for what it's worth, I don't think you were lying either. I honestly think that you truly believe that you're open-minded. My posts were just meant to question that as an objective matter. You might disagree but I don't think its improper or integrity-impugning to say someone isn't open-minded. You said that to Zap and to me.

Right. And calling me a mouthpiece of the White House with no independent views isn't impugning my integrity?

I'm sorry if I impugned your integrity.  I meant it to question your dilligence in seeking the truth, not your honesty.  I did not accuse you of lying.

jgruber

« Reply #61 on: August 16, 2004, 03:40:23 PM »
I was referring specifically to this one issue.  If I say I have not made up my mind, that's what it means and I hard time with anyone who says otherwise.

And for the record, if you review my postings on this subject, I never said I believed the story. 

Hell, I haven't even read the damned thing.

And for what it's worth, I don't think you were lying either. I honestly think that you truly believe that you're open-minded. My posts were just meant to question that as an objective matter. You might disagree but I don't think its improper or integrity-impugning to say someone isn't open-minded. You said that to Zap and to me.

Right. And calling me a mouthpiece of the White House with no independent views isn't impugning my integrity?

I'm sorry if I impugned your integrity.  I meant it to question your dilligence in seeking the truth, not your honesty.  I did not accuse you of lying.

Bman

« Reply #62 on: August 16, 2004, 03:41:01 PM »
Nor, by the way, am I totally open-minded. I'm not an ultra-conservative but I'm pretty clearly on the right side of the spectrum and I'm sure my partisan passions cause me to sometimes take positions opposite from what I would take if the shoe was on the other foot. My only point was that, as an abstract matter, being open-minded need not be mutually exclusive with the idea of assuming innocence (or the untruthfulness of allegations, essentially the same thing) but being willing to change one's mind upon the presentation of evidence.

Bman

« Reply #63 on: August 16, 2004, 03:42:33 PM »
Hey, I'm happy to continue debating this topic, rather than our own personal grievances and misunderstandings. Go ahead and defend this article (which consisted of merely pointing out a police investigation and offering no evidence that it was improper) and I'll gladly chime right back.

you need to take this stuff someplace else, pal.

jgruber

« Reply #64 on: August 16, 2004, 03:42:52 PM »
Fair enough, just don't accuse me of lying and you can say just about anything you want.

Call me a bastard, call me stupid, call me a left wing dupe, but don't call me a liar.

Nor, by the way, am I totally open-minded. I'm not an ultra-conservative but I'm pretty clearly on the right side of the spectrum and I'm sure my partisan passions cause me to sometimes take positions opposite from what I would take if the shoe was on the other foot. My only point was that, as an abstract matter, being open-minded need not be mutually exclusive with the idea of assuming innocence (or the untruthfulness of allegations, essentially the same thing) but being willing to change one's mind upon the presentation of evidence.

Section Eight

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #65 on: August 16, 2004, 03:44:33 PM »
Left wing dupe!  (sorry Jj, I had to!)  ;D

Bman

« Reply #66 on: August 16, 2004, 03:45:02 PM »
I don't believe I called you a liar. I pointed out how a truly open-minded person might behave in hearing this accusation and suggested that you fall short of this ideal. But lying? I don't think I ever said that (I haven't rechecked the thread, so if I did, I apologize) nor did I imply it.

nathanielmark

« Reply #67 on: August 16, 2004, 03:45:43 PM »
relax, i was just busting your balls.  you guys got a little carried away though (you and jeffjoe).

Bman

« Reply #68 on: August 16, 2004, 03:46:14 PM »
Fair enough  :D. It's really hard to tell that kind of thing in an online convo.

relax, i was just busting your balls.  you guys got a little carried away though (you and jeffjoe).

Ginatio

« Reply #69 on: August 16, 2004, 03:46:28 PM »
stupid bastard left wing dupe, you...

Fair enough, just don't accuse me of lying and you can say just about anything you want.

Call me a bastard, call me stupid, call me a left wing dupe, but don't call me a liar.