Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Anyone planning on getting a pda or pda/cell phone hybrid for law school?  (Read 1036 times)

pinkybella

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Is anyone planning on getting a pda or pda/cell phone hybrid for law school to help stay organized? I have my sidekick right now which has pretty good organizational features. It has a to do list and a calendar, both of which I can wireless sync up to my outlook tasks and outlook calendar.

The Motorola Q just came out recently and the sidekick III just came out today. Anyone planning on getting such a device and if so, which one?

OingoBoingo

• Sr. Citizen
  • Simply the best band from the 80's
    • View Profile
I can answer the first question as no. Honestly it is a big reason why I chose an ultraportable. I got rid of my iPAQ 3835 a few months ago and I don't see myself replacing it anytime soon.

Oingo
"It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man."

flydog

You need a PDA to keep track of the meeting times of 5 classes? A post it would be a lot cheaper

pinkybella

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
You need a PDA to keep track of the meeting times of 5 classes? A post it would be a lot cheaper

I already have mine (I got it for work purposes). so I figured why not put it to good use & use it for law school as well. It wouldn't only be for scheduling classes; I would also use it for scheduling deadlines, assigment due dates etc.

krumanadi

I got a cingular 8125 and it is kickass..

I dont think having it for school is necessary, but I think it will definitly help.  Plus it is totally cool..;)

LawSchoolHopeful2009

• Sr. Citizen
  • make me "beautiful"...make me a perfect lie...
    • View Profile
    • LSN
I've actually owned my pda for almost two years now- the Loox 720- and it has come in very handy for organizational purposes so I figure I might as well use it for law school. It has wireless, bluetooth, VOIP, a camera, CF/SD, pretty much everything so I see myself using it from time to time in lieu of my laptop when I don't feel like lugging it around. I don't know that I would recommend someone go out and buy one specifically for law school, but if you have one already why not use it right? Plus, it makes for a good conversational piece with the big-wigs- I've whipped mine out a couple of times in a professional setting and many of the men were impressed that as a women I was so into gadgets and they were especially awed at the features it had. With that said, it probably wouldn't hurt to bust one out during OCI- all about image right?

onepoint

• Sr. Citizen
  • three down.
    • AOL Instant Messenger - nikepr0be
    • View Profile
i use a treo 650 extensively.  keeping track of classes is one thing; keeping track of classes + group meetings + study meetings + appointments with professors + westlaw/lexis training + writing assignment deadlines + class scheduling deadlines + personal life is another.

some people prefer a handwritten datebook, i prefer my treo.

i also use it to keep movies and music on tap.  internet access doesn't hurt, either.  oh yeah.. that 'phone' thing comes in handy also.
post-3L

Kevin26.2

• Sr. Citizen
  • i love this movie
    • View Profile
i'll be taking my treo 658 with me. i use it for tasks and calendar synching mainly. haven' tused it for movies or music yet.

if i was going to get a new one, i'd most definitely go with the Q. they are just so darn COOL.
Iowa Law Class of '09

Jolie Was Here

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3L. Meh.
    • View Profile
    • LSN
I almost got a Treo 650, until I realized that for law school I'm much more interested in streamlining.  Besides, I'll almost always have my computer with me.  My Tungsten E will suffice.
I was referring to your intellectual penis. Which is quite robust.

Jolie is creeping up on me. 

krumanadi

In addition to all of those benefits that you all listed above, dont forget that you can sync you're notes onto your PocketPC/PDA (mine has a 1gb mini-sd card) for backup/having them with you at all times.