Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Kaplan Course  (Read 2098 times)

sammyr2

• View Profile
    • Email
Kaplan Course
« on: August 16, 2004, 02:14:34 AM »
Seems like everyone bashes Kaplan's course or at least rec's powerscore or testmasters over it.  I took kaplan last spring for the june lsat, got freaked out and postponed to october and since I enacted kaplan's higher score guarantee, I get to take the course again for free.  I am hoping to put a lot more in this time and hopefully I get a lot more out of it.  Any thoughts from others about Kaplan?

foxnewssucks

Re: Kaplan Course
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2004, 02:16:37 AM »
3rd tier.

Trancer

• Sr. Citizen
  • Conan the Republican!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2004, 08:39:57 AM »
i dont like it.  they are very limited in the information they teach.  the most i learned was from self-teaching.  so i would consider either saving your precious time and study on your own or dish out some more cash and take PS.
Its not the size of the army that counts, its the fury of the onslaught.
Seton Hall, August 05

shanrocks

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2004, 08:58:26 AM »
I am currently enrolled in a Kaplan course and it has helped me immensely.  Granted, my diagnostic test was only a 146.  I have been out of college for eight years and have never taken a logic course in my life. 

I think the people that bash the Kaplan program are ones that went in with a decent score to begin with.  The course is not meant for people who are already doing well on the test.  It is for people who are scoring low and want to improve.  If you already have a grasp on logic and the concepts that are prevelant in the LSAT, you will probably find the course useless.  Just my two cents.

Dewitt

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2004, 09:18:42 AM »
one negative thing i experienced from kaplan, and i hope this is an isolated incident, was that the teachers at my center would bash the students behind their backs. i would be near the front desk and they'd be talking about how some student didn't improve at all between the diagnostic and the midterm, etc... in my opinion, that's pretty unprofessional.

Trancer

• Sr. Citizen
  • Conan the Republican!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2004, 09:47:33 AM »
my instructor was good, really explain things well.  But he came late to every lesson, i think thats very unprofessional considering we are paying him top dollar... considering he only teaches 8 classes at three hours a pop thats 24 lesson hours at $1100 thats close to $46 an hour.
Its not the size of the army that counts, its the fury of the onslaught.
Seton Hall, August 05

nathanielmark

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2004, 09:55:10 AM »

immature and unprofessional.  i would ask for a refund.

one negative thing i experienced from kaplan, and i hope this is an isolated incident, was that the teachers at my center would bash the students behind their backs. i would be near the front desk and they'd be talking about how some student didn't improve at all between the diagnostic and the midterm, etc... in my opinion, that's pretty unprofessional.

Louder Than Bombs

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2004, 10:26:50 AM »
What qualifies as bashing?

Dewitt

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2004, 11:30:14 AM »

saying "yeah, john didn't do the homework. no wonder he still got a 148 on the midterm!" in public where any student can hear it.

dsong02

• Sr. Citizen
  • small. yellow. different.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2004, 11:44:05 AM »

saying "yeah, john didn't do the homework. no wonder he still got a 148 on the midterm!" in public where any student can hear it.

i would consider that negative encouragement.  it would have been better if they had the balls to say it to his face.  i bet he was pasty.
'why does it hurt so much when i poke it?'