Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Best Law-Related Movies  (Read 4882 times)

jippyjappa

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Best Law-Related Movies
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2006, 12:41:17 PM »
On the topic of Grisham, if any of you ever read Posner's "law and Literature" he has a hilarously (ok, mildly amusing for a judge) low opinion of those books. Which doesn't mean those books are bad- he is a bit of a fuddy-duddy- but he does make some good points.

I'm not ranking them on legal validity or anything, I'm just judging them on easy reading and enjoyable plot.

well they are easy reading and yes, I suppose they have plots, but what is amusing about Posner's review of them is not his criticism of their "legal validity" but his literary criticism of them.

PhiMuAmberkins

• Sr. Citizen
  • A self-tar.
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - amberkinsluvyoulongtime
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2006, 03:40:39 PM »
Dead Man Walking Great movie...we had to watch it in my Constitutional Law class.  It made me sad I was the only one who had seen it before...

The Hurricane This is one of my favorites, even if it's a little (A LOT) biased.  "The story of Rubin "Hurricane" Carter, a boxer wrongly imprisoned for murder, and the people who aided in his fight to prove his innocence."

THE RAINMAKER Awesome movie.  Very, very good, even though I kinda think Matt Damon looks like a gorilla. 

And A Time to Kill was amazing, although my favorite grisham BOOK was The Broker.

galex

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2006, 04:56:43 PM »

Judgment at Nuremberg: This movie is so tied to the courtroom that it's amazing how moving it manages to be. Maybe the best Holocaust film ever made, as well as one of the best legal movies.

I agree.  It's one of my favorite movies.  If you don't watch it for any other reason, watch it for the German defense lawyer.

SCgrad

« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2006, 03:34:26 AM »

my favorite grisham BOOK was The Broker.

i just read this.  who do you think should play Backman/Marco in the movie?

On the topic of Grisham, if any of you ever read Posner's "law and Literature" he has a hilarously (ok, mildly amusing for a judge) low opinion of those books. Which doesn't mean those books are bad- he is a bit of a fuddy-duddy- but he does make some good points.

I'm not ranking them on legal validity or anything, I'm just judging them on easy reading and enjoyable plot.

well they are easy reading and yes, I suppose they have plots, but what is amusing about Posner's review of them is not his criticism of their "legal validity" but his literary criticism of them.

Posner should find better uses for his time.

headmistress

« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2006, 03:22:00 PM »
is that with samuel jackson where he is on trial for killing people who were supposedly unarmed but it turns out the other side fired first?

that movie was pretty good.
I believe that was Rules of Engagement

A Time To Kill, Devil's Advocate

Goodfella

• Sr. Citizen
  • I get to live the rest of my life like a schnook
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2006, 04:11:58 PM »
Goodfellas.
UVA '09

ceb

« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2006, 07:37:56 PM »
Serious: A Time to Kill

Sorry, but how can Legally Blonde not be on this thread yet!  ;)

jippyjappa

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2006, 06:05:08 PM »

[/quote]

[/quote]

why?

theprocrastinator

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2006, 06:17:41 PM »
Dead Man Walking Great movie...we had to watch it in my Constitutional Law class.  It made me sad I was the only one who had seen it before...

The Hurricane This is one of my favorites, even if it's a little (A LOT) biased.  "The story of Rubin "Hurricane" Carter, a boxer wrongly imprisoned for murder, and the people who aided in his fight to prove his innocence."

THE RAINMAKER Awesome movie.  Very, very good, even though I kinda think Matt Damon looks like a gorilla. 

And A Time to Kill was amazing, although my favorite grisham BOOK was The Broker.

Is there another side to the Hurricane story out there? I mean, are you talking about politics or about the actual situation? The only things I know about it are from the movie and the Dylan song.

Also, I have to admit that I thoroughly enjoyed Runaway Jury as well as the first half of A Civil Action. You 0Ls will learn to look past legal inaccuracies in movies within a very short time of beginning law school. I don't know that it would be possible to write an entertaining legal movie without changing the law at least a little.

SCgrad

« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2006, 02:41:13 AM »

[/quote]

why?

[/quote]

Grisham writes books for people to enjoy.  He meets that goal.  There really is nothing else to it.  If he was claiming there was any truth to it, that would be one thing, but he is selling to the masses and last I checked, not doing too badly.  Posner finds it necessary to critique the literary quality of a pop fiction writer.   ??? ???

Seems like a waste of time to me.