Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Best Law-Related Movies  (Read 4514 times)

SouthSide

• Sr. Citizen
  • Full speed ahead.
    • View Profile
Best Law-Related Movies
« on: June 27, 2006, 07:50:38 AM »
I'm sure this thread has been done before, but I'm wondering what suggestions people have. My favorites (focusing on older/more obscure ones for now, although you're welcome to add anything):

The Caine Mutiny: This is only a law movie for the last third or so, but Bogart breaking down on the witness stand is unforgettable. I think this movie is better and more believable than the similar A Few Good Men, which is another must-watch movie about law and the military.

12 Angry Men: The greatest movie about jury duty not starring Pauly Shore.

A Dry White Season: Marlon Brando's last great role, as a British barrister fighting apartheid in South Africa.

Judgment at Nuremberg: This movie is so tied to the courtroom that it's amazing how moving it manages to be. Maybe the best Holocaust film ever made, as well as one of the best legal movies.

To Kill a Mockingbird: This has to be the top. I get goose bumps every time I see Atticus Finch walking out of that courtroom.

Columbia 2L.

jippyjappa

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Best Law-Related Movies
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2006, 08:01:11 AM »
Anatomy of a Murder- George C. Scott's city prosecutor v. Jimmy Stewart's country defense attorney. Great moral ambiguity here as I don't think there is a clear answer to what outcome would have been "just"

The Verdict- Paul Newman's greatest performance.

And Justice for All- Al Pacino's most hilarious performance. The courtroom flip out scene is classic.

Worst law movies:

The Paper Chase.

Anything based on Grisham.

Civil Action - (I guess it was okay but...)

SCgrad

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2006, 08:20:01 AM »
runaway jury sucked, at least the airplane version i was forced to watch.  the firm is a good book, haven't actually seen the movie.

I like Class Action, My Cousin Vinny, and Liar, Liar.

SCgrad

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2006, 08:29:29 AM »
is that with samuel jackson where he is on trial for killing people who were supposedly unarmed but it turns out the other side fired first?

that movie was pretty good.

SCgrad

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2006, 08:34:59 AM »
is that with samuel jackson where he is on trial for killing people who were supposedly unarmed but it turns out the other side fired first?

that movie was pretty good.

Yes to Samuel L.  He's on trial for outright murdering (with an assault rifle in the courthouse) 2 white guys who raped and left for dead his young daughter.  Matthew McConaughey is the lawyer who takes his case, Sandra Bullock is a firey law student who volunteers to help him, and Kevin Spacey is the prosecutor.  It's an excellent cast and a great movie/plot.

don't think i've seen it, but may have just forgotten, that tends to happen when you watch lots and lots of movies after getting wasted. 

SouthSide

• Sr. Citizen
  • Full speed ahead.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2006, 08:49:52 AM »
A Time to Kill is the best Grisham movie, and it's actually not bad. The Firm has its moments, and is high on the list of all-time guilty pleasures movies.
Columbia 2L.

SCgrad

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2006, 08:51:52 AM »
Look for The Broker to come out soon.  It is only loosely related to law, though.  grishams books are pretty good for easy reading.

jippyjappa

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2006, 02:34:33 PM »
On the topic of Grisham, if any of you ever read Posner's "law and Literature" he has a hilarously (ok, mildly amusing for a judge) low opinion of those books. Which doesn't mean those books are bad- he is a bit of a fuddy-duddy- but he does make some good points.

Alamo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2006, 02:50:13 PM »
The Exorcism of Emily Rose is pretty good, if you're into that sort of thing.  I thought it was great.
I must admit that I may have been infected with society's prejudices and predilections and attributed them to God . . . and that in years hence I may be seen as someone who was on the wrong side of history.  I don't believe such doubts make me a bad Christian.  I believe they make me human . . .

curry2lt99

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2006, 02:50:40 PM »
My favorite is "A Man For All Seasons".