Law School Discussion

SCgrad

Re: Why is baseball so boring?
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2006, 02:18:19 AM »
It's a beautiful game. It has a flow unlike any other sport, where every game is like a well-crafted narrative. There is the complex psychological interaction between pitcher and batter, the high points of tension, the sudden bursts of surprising action, the unique ability of the game to change drastically from one moment to the next, the fact that it's never over until it's over.

And this is all doubly true on the Senior Circuit (read: the AL sucks a$$)

i'm assuming bb has given baseball an honest chance.  if you do and still don't like it, i think there is little that can be done to change that.  there is of course the exception of actually going to games.  many people enjoy live baseball and conversely hate TV baseball.
I have to agree, SC. Sports are such a diverse area that everyone has their own tastes, like the excellent soda analogy. I like baseball for the statistics and strategies which I think sometimes faster-paced games lack.

I do think it's hard to get into a sport, though, unless you've got friends and the whole culture that goes along with it. I never gave football (soccer) much of a chance because no one ever scores! World Cup Madness has potentially changed my mind, though, with tons of people going nuts over it all the time. It's fun to imagine it as just the giant game of foosball...

SCgrad

Re: Why is baseball so boring?
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2006, 02:21:41 AM »
It's a beautiful game. It has a flow unlike any other sport, where every game is like a well-crafted narrative. There is the complex psychological interaction between pitcher and batter, the high points of tension, the sudden bursts of surprising action, the unique ability of the game to change drastically from one moment to the next, the fact that it's never over until it's over.

You've just described basketball, soccer, and just about every other team sport.

soccer lacks the psychological interaction and is often times over before it's over.  basketball just doesn't have the high points of tension, maybe at the very end of the game, but until then, it is just too easy to score for one shot or one chase for the ball to have the effect that you see a steal attempt in the eighth inning have in baseball.

Miss P

• View Profile
And now I have some insight into why you never respond to my more substantial posts.  They are too windy.  I'm not good at soundbites until I'm riled up.

Perhaps you missed my meaning. i.e. I was kidding.  ;D

No, I got that.  I was just taking an opportunity for a very soft-fisted jab.  :D

SouthSide

• Full speed ahead.
    • View Profile

You've just described basketball, soccer, and just about every other team sport.

I definitely disagree. I don't think anyone has come back from 2 goals down for the entire World Cup, for example. It's very easy for a game to be functionally over in the first half.

And no other sport has the man on man confrontations that make up the heart of baseball. The pitcher and the batter, the challenge between the two, with no one else intruding, is unique.

SCgrad

I definitely disagree. I don't think anyone has come back from 2 goals down for the entire World Cup, for example. It's very easy for a game to be functionally over in the first half.

is there an echo in here?

Miss P

• View Profile
And now I have some insight into why you never respond to my more substantial posts.  They are too windy.  I'm not good at soundbites until I'm riled up.

Perhaps you missed my meaning. i.e. I was kidding.  ;D

No, I got that.  I was just taking an opportunity for a very soft-fisted jab.  :D

I can't believe you did it again, that was clearly an acknowledgement of your jab with a harder but non-returnable return jab.

Non-returnable?  Oh, okay.  I'm too tired to try to be clever.  And too dim.  Go on with this whole un-American hating-on-baseball thing.  It's humanizing.

SCgrad

And no other sport has the man on man confrontations that make up the heart of baseball. The pitcher and the batter, the challenge between the two, with no one else intruding, is unique.

Chess.

this rebuttal refutes itself.

SouthSide

• Full speed ahead.
    • View Profile
One other thing: most other team sports have a huge problem that baseball doesn't have. They often end with contests of skills that aren't really central parts of the game itself.

Football often ends with a field goal (the most boring play in sports, usually), basketball often ends with free throws (see above), and soccer and hockey both often end with shootouts (which are kind of cool in hockey but just stupid in soccer) or, even worse, ties. Baseball just keep playing the same way until one side blinks. It's much more satisfying.

SCgrad

One other thing: most other team sports have a huge problem that baseball doesn't have. They often end with contests of skills that aren't really central parts of the game itself.

Football often ends with a field goal (the most boring play in sports, usually), basketball often ends with free throws (see above), and soccer and hockey both often end with shootouts (which are kind of cool in hockey but just stupid in soccer) or, even worse, ties. Baseball just keep playing the same way until one side blinks. It's much more satisfying.

and a homerun means it is over, therer is no looking for flags on the field, checking the replay to see if the shooter had the tip of a finger on the ball when it hits triple 0s, etc.  you get a safe or out call and that is it, with absurdly few exceptions.