• Full speed ahead.
    • View Profile
Re: Why is baseball so boring?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2006, 01:55:14 AM »
What sports do you enjoy?

SCgrad

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2006, 01:55:58 AM »
it's like fish or dr. pepper, you either like or you don't, and there is probably nothing anyone can say to change your mind in either direction.

SCgrad

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2006, 02:00:06 AM »
it's like fish or dr. pepper, you either like or you don't, and there is probably nothing anyone can say to change your mind in either direction.

Who doesn't like Dr. Pepper??!!???!???!!!

some people abhore it.  i understand this about as well as i understand your distaste for baseball, but i accept it and wouldn't try to change your mind or the minds of dr pepper haters alike.

SouthSide

• Full speed ahead.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2006, 02:01:35 AM »

Golf, Tennis, Basketball, Snowboarding, Skiing, Football, Soccer, and probably some others.

Wow, I can't imagine watching snowboarding either live or on TV for three hours. The same goes for golf, skiing, and soccer, at least. I enjoy participating in these sports, but as spectator sports I would rank baseball far ahead of them.

SCgrad

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2006, 02:04:05 AM »

Golf, Tennis, Basketball, Snowboarding, Skiing, Football, Soccer, and probably some others.

Wow, I can't imagine watching snowboarding either live or on TV for three hours. The same goes for golf, skiing, and soccer, at least. I enjoy participating in these sports, but as spectator sports I would rank baseball far ahead of them.

i don't particularly like watching golf, snowboarding or skiing, but i would rather walk on broken glass than watch tennis.

Miss P

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2006, 02:04:58 AM »

Wait, honestly, you enjoy watching golf but not baseball, bb?
I find that bizarre.

I think a love of baseball can be learned.  I didn't learn to really care about baseball until my late teens.  Before then, I had a team, and I enjoyed peanuts and CrackerJacks and stuff, but I didn't pay much attention.  Now I follow my team daily (usu. watch or listen to games) and I keep my eye on division competition, the leaders of the other NL divisions, and try to keep a pretty good sense, even of what's going on in the other league.  The difference for me was learning things like how to recognize pitches and getting some basic intelligence about strategies and stuff.  Now that I know why people are doing what they are doing, almost every pitch is interesting.  Yes, occasionally there's a really boring game or series (e.g., Mets v. Toronto last weekend), but this is rare.  It's kind of like calculus.  You have to understand it pretty well before you can see how elegant it is.

SCgrad

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2006, 02:12:06 AM »

Wait, honestly, you enjoy watching golf but not baseball, bb?
I find that bizarre.

I think a love of baseball can be learned.  I didn't learn to really care about baseball until my late teens.  Before then, I had a team, and I enjoyed peanuts and CrackerJacks and stuff, but I didn't pay much attention.  Now I follow my team daily (usu. watch or listen to games) and I keep my eye on division competition, the leaders of the other NL divisions, and try to keep a pretty good sense, even of what's going on in the other league.  The difference for me was learning things like how to recognize pitches and getting some basic intelligence about strategies and stuff.  Now that I know why people are doing what they are doing, almost every pitch is interesting.  Yes, occasionally there's a really boring game or series (e.g., Mets v. Toronto last weekend), but this is rare.  It's kind of like calculus.  You have to understand it pretty well before you can see how elegant it is.

i'm assuming bb has given baseball an honest chance.  if you do and still don't like it, i think there is little that can be done to change that.  there is of course the exception of actually going to games.  many people enjoy live baseball and conversely hate TV baseball.

SouthSide

• Full speed ahead.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2006, 02:15:06 AM »
It's a beautiful game. It has a flow unlike any other sport, where every game is like a well-crafted narrative. There is the complex psychological interaction between pitcher and batter, the high points of tension, the sudden bursts of surprising action, the unique ability of the game to change drastically from one moment to the next, the fact that it's never over until it's over.

It's great on tv, but it's also much better in person.

Miss P

• View Profile
SouthSide, it's even great on the radio.  Seriously.  That's how I get about 100 games a year (no cable).

SC, you're probably right.

bb, there wasn't much to it.  Basically, I said I thought a love for baseball could be learned if the problem is that you don't fully understand it.  

And now I have some insight into why you never respond to my more substantial posts.  They are too windy.  I'm not good at soundbites until I'm riled up.  

BTW, I skimmed the Sander rebuttal he has posted on his website, and it much more clearly asks a lot of the same questions I was asking.  It might be worth a read, and it's nowhere near 200 pages.