Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Fighting Latinos for political powwer?  (Read 1521 times)

2Lacoste

• Sr. Citizen
  • Johan Santana for President
    • View Profile
Re: Fighting Latinos for political powwer?
« Reply #30 on: June 27, 2006, 11:34:37 AM »
9. Race isn't biological,

So how do you explain certain biological features of some races? Black folx having a higher chance of heart disease or higher chloestoral.

Native Americans being Lactose intolerant?

Pigmey's

the obvious difference in body structure of Africans compared to that of say. . . Cambodians.

Race IS a social contruction.  The physical differences  that you speak of are more "adaptations", if you will, for better survival in the surrounding living enviroment.     

Race is not a social construction.

"Obviously if you are comparing the Japanese and Swedish ethnic groups you would not think they are social constructions, but, the key here is that the ethnic groups correlate to racial differences. My point is that though broad racial clusters seem to exist, ethnic differences are far less clear cut. While the predictive power of race as a level of classification is quite often rather high, that of ethnicity is far less clear cut when the racial component is extracted. There are haplotype discontinuities between neighboring groups (Lithuanians vs. Poles on the TAT-C), but they are far less substantial than the differences between races, and often individuals within each group have a difficult time telling one from another by inspection alone."
Mets will take the NL Pennant.

mivida2k

• Sr. Citizen
  • Do I Really Need to Answer This Question
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 27, 2006, 01:27:26 PM »
9. Race isn't biological,

So how do you explain certain biological features of some races? Black folx having a higher chance of heart disease or higher chloestoral.

Native Americans being Lactose intolerant?

Pigmey's

the obvious difference in body structure of Africans compared to that of say. . . Cambodians.

The heart disease and cholesterol is related to fast food and high fat foods that African-Americans, particularly low income, tend to eat on a regular basis.  Also, the daily stresses of being African-American and the drama we deal with.

Race is a social construct.  The origins were what group would win the race for the most material goods/wealth.
The president's approval rating has dropped to 33 percent, matching his low in May. His handling of nearly every issue, from the Iraq war to foreign policy, contributed to the president's decline around the nation, even in the Republican-friendly South.

PaddyWack

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: June 27, 2006, 09:37:28 PM »
Quote from: mivida2k
The heart disease and cholesterol is related to fast food and high fat foods that African-Americans, particularly low income, tend to eat on a regular basis.  Also, the daily stresses of being African-American and the drama we deal with.

I could be wrong, but I think you're mistaken (...that made me laugh).

According to my doctor, being black is a risk factor for heart disease and diabetes, independent of other factor, such as income, for sodium-rich foods.  In other words, if you're black and eat and MickeyDs, you're still more likely to develop heart disease and diabetes than if you are white and eat at Burger King.  It is a genetic predisposition to an illness targeted at a particular group of people, who, as it just so happens, we refer to as a "race".  That seems pretty compelling evidence that genetics plays a significant role in race.  That is, it is compelling in it's own right, assuming we ignore the fact that two black parents will have a black child.*

As for the article, the outcome was sad, but not really surprising.  It's like crabs in a bucket.  Only, it really isn't, because crabs can't help what they do while we, as human beings, can. 

The problem here was a lack of adequate leadership.  Blacks and Latinos lack strong leaders.  This is an especially difficult problem since only extraordinary leaders, men of vision, will serve to elevate the status Blacks and Latinos to something resembling equality.  Men like that are hard enough to find, even under ideal conditions.

* Note: that was mostly a retort to the statement that race isn't biological, which is an absurd assertion, and one which I know you don't share.