Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Brooklyn Law Student Taking Questions  (Read 49109 times)

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: Brooklyn Law Student Taking Questions
« Reply #250 on: June 09, 2008, 10:36:19 PM »
Yes, I think the latest class offered on Fridays is 11:00-12:50, so you will definitely be out by 1:00 on Fridays.  The latest class people in the day program have ends at 4:50, but you will probably be out before that most days if not every day.

ETA: I've noticed when comparing schedules with friends at other schools that BLS seems to have longer classes that meet fewer times/week.  This may change a little with this year's class.  I understand that all the five-credit courses (conlaw, contracts, civpro) will be offered as one-semester courses; in my year, most sections split two of the three over two semesters.  A five-credit class likely requires three meetings per week.
That's cool how you referenced a case.

Quote from: archival
I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.

Adverse Possession

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #251 on: June 24, 2008, 10:03:03 AM »
Yes, I think the latest class offered on Fridays is 11:00-12:50, so you will definitely be out by 1:00 on Fridays.  The latest class people in the day program have ends at 4:50, but you will probably be out before that most days if not every day.

ETA: I've noticed when comparing schedules with friends at other schools that BLS seems to have longer classes that meet fewer times/week.  This may change a little with this year's class.  I understand that all the five-credit courses (conlaw, contracts, civpro) will be offered as one-semester courses; in my year, most sections split two of the three over two semesters.  A five-credit class likely requires three meetings per week.

I was in the experimental section this past year - 1 semester conlaw and civpro. I guess we did so well that they are now doing it for all the incoming 1Ls  :D

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: June 26, 2008, 12:32:40 AM »
I was in the experimental section this past year - 1 semester conlaw and civpro. I guess we did so well that they are now doing it for all the incoming 1Ls  :D

:P

I don't know how they would assess whether you've done well compared to other sections since all of the courses are on the same curve, but I know faculty have been lobbying for this for a long time.  It's easier for them to plan sabbaticals and such and they only have to write one exam per course.  I always envied the experimental section people, though: it seems as if it could only be a good thing to have fewer exams each semester.
That's cool how you referenced a case.

Quote from: archival
I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.

cannotpick

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: July 06, 2008, 10:20:47 PM »
I'm a rising 2L at BLS and was wondering if you have any suggestions as to how I should approach OCI.  I finished with a 3.4X gpa (top 22%) w/ fed. judge internship this summer.  Do I have a chance at landing a v100 SA position?
(1) I wouldn't think just in terms of V100. Also consider other firms that pay 'market' salary, but are outside of the Vault ranking. Apply broadly and do a lot of direct write submissions.

(2) How did you feel about the writing competition? If you make law review, I give you a very good shot. If not, it will be more of a challenge.
'08 graduate of Brooklyn Law

...The Dude abides...

JbooklynD

• View Profile
« Reply #254 on: July 06, 2008, 10:55:51 PM »
I'm a rising 2L at BLS and was wondering if you have any suggestions as to how I should approach OCI.  I finished with a 3.4X gpa (top 22%) w/ fed. judge internship this summer.  Do I have a chance at landing a v100 SA position?
(1) I wouldn't think just in terms of V100. Also consider other firms that pay 'market' salary, but are outside of the Vault ranking. Apply broadly and do a lot of direct write submissions.

(2) How did you feel about the writing competition? If you make law review, I give you a very good shot. If not, it will be more of a challenge.

I felt like I had a decent thesis, but I'm not sure if I said anything profound.  I did have A-
s both semesters in LWR.  Any idea how much that helps for getting on a journal?

cannotpick

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #255 on: July 07, 2008, 10:11:51 AM »

I felt like I had a decent thesis, but I'm not sure if I said anything profound.  I did have A-
s both semesters in LWR.  Any idea how much that helps for getting on a journal?
Well, we don't look at your actual class-by-class grades, just your overall class rank. So, the A- won't get you in on its own, but it is an indicator that you have a strong writing ability.

It sounds like you approached the writing competition properly. Your goal really shouldn't be to write anything profound. Each student has to grade like 40 of these, so (1) if you write something too profound, it might go over our heads, (2) the goal is to get through the whole pile of submissions, so nobody wants to have to pause and digest each paragraph, and (3) we end up looking for the easier things to dock people for: improper citations, bad spelling/ grammar, lack of topic sentences, improper format, etc. You'd be suprised just how many submissions are 4 pages long with no title, only 8 citations, and poor grammar.

...The Dude abides...

JbooklynD

• View Profile
« Reply #256 on: July 07, 2008, 11:59:19 AM »

Well, we don't look at your actual class-by-class grades, just your overall class rank. So, the A- won't get you in on its own, but it is an indicator that you have a strong writing ability.

It sounds like you approached the writing competition properly. Your goal really shouldn't be to write anything profound. Each student has to grade like 40 of these, so (1) if you write something too profound, it might go over our heads, (2) the goal is to get through the whole pile of submissions, so nobody wants to have to pause and digest each paragraph, and (3) we end up looking for the easier things to dock people for: improper citations, bad spelling/ grammar, lack of topic sentences, improper format, etc. You'd be suprised just how many submissions are 4 pages long with no title, only 8 citations, and poor grammar.

Well, that's good to know.  Though, I didn't have a title, and I can't remember the packet requiring one...

I'm just hoping that the journals make their calls this week.  I've heard that sometimes they wait until close to the end of the time (July 21) to make decisions.

cannotpick

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: July 07, 2008, 12:39:15 PM »
A title isn't required, but it is certainly helpful. I always recommend that people keep in mind the goal of this process: to find people that can do good bluebooking (for weekly assignments) and can write solid Notes (for publication). As such, we are looking for people with good attention to detail, clarity, and writing skills. Thus, things like organization, topic sentences, sub-headings, and transition sentences are important.

This advice goes not just for the writing competition, but for law school exams in general. For example, if a torts exam question says, "Name all of the claims that plaintiff could raise and the defenses to such claims," then don't write, "Plaintiff could sue defendant based on negligence based on abc... However, defendant might be able to prove that there was an assumption of risk because of def.. or he can argue that the plaintiff wasn't actually a foreseeable plaintiff because of uvw... But plaintiff might be able to that defendant is strictly liable because defendant was engaged in an ultrahazardous activity because of xyz." Instead give subheadings to the analysis, like:

A. Plaintiff's Claims
     1. Negligence
     2. Strict Liability
B. Defenses
     1. Unforeseeable Plaintiff
     2. Assumption of Risk

Disclaimer: I'm not saying you did this. This is just advice for 0Ls and 1Ls that are reading this thread.

...The Dude abides...

stephster416

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #258 on: July 30, 2008, 09:11:27 AM »
This is kind of a random, non-school related question. I'm moving to Feil soon and was wondering which nearby gyms have the best student discounts with Brooklyn?
In - Cornell, Brooklyn, Cardozo ($$$), Baylor ($$$), Notre Dame ($), Washington & Lee ($$), Loyola ($)

ronaldo699

• View Profile
« Reply #259 on: July 30, 2008, 09:21:12 AM »
i heard the ymca.. im moving into feil too and wondering same thing