Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Brooklyn Law Student Taking Questions  (Read 48843 times)

epicac

• press play
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Brooklyn Law Student Taking Questions
« Reply #140 on: March 26, 2008, 04:00:43 PM »
I have a question.  What will happen first - a letter of some sort from Brooklyn (Admission/Rejection/Waitlist) or the burnout of the Sun.  ???

Is the admissions office's "fast as molasses" speed indicative of the whole administration's pace?  I'd heard the staff was incorrigible, but I didn't want to believe it.
riding a gravy train with biscuit wheels...

cannotpick

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: March 28, 2008, 11:58:30 AM »
No, the staff here is quite good. I've always found them to be accessible and willing to solve issues promptly. I looked at your LSN profile and you look like a borderline applicant. My guess is that they are waiting to see how many people accept/reject before they reach a decision on your application.
'08 graduate of Brooklyn Law

...The Dude abides...

ronaldo699

• View Profile
« Reply #142 on: March 28, 2008, 12:05:25 PM »
i second that the adminstration has been great...

i'm a 2L who transferred this year from another nyc school..  ive mainly dealt w/ the career center and registrar, and both offices have helped a ton for everything i needed..   

if you're comparing ny law, that top 15 percent renewable sounds pretty tough - i would negotiate w/ them to lower that if possible..  also, if you get into brook - GO no questions asked ..   

Cloggie

• View Profile
« Reply #143 on: March 28, 2008, 01:31:51 PM »
Kinda a big question, but worth a shot...what are some of the things you found out in your first year that you wish someone had told you ahead of time? 

E.g. It took me until my 3rd year of university (i finished in 3 years) to figure out that instead of sleeping in and studying late, I could/should study 9 am- 6pm and then enjoy my evenings.

Things that seemed like a big deal but weren't or vice versa? Also what are the legal fraternities/lawyers guild about?

epicac

• press play
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #144 on: March 28, 2008, 02:11:17 PM »
i second that the adminstration has been great...

i'm a 2L who transferred this year from another nyc school..  ive mainly dealt w/ the career center and registrar, and both offices have helped a ton for everything i needed..   

if you're comparing ny law, that top 15 percent renewable sounds pretty tough - i would negotiate w/ them to lower that if possible..  also, if you get into brook - GO no questions asked ..   

Ah, but since my two main options are private practice and patent law, I've been really leaning towards NYLS.  Plus, the fact that I'd actually be able to see my special lady occasionally for lunch (she works in lower Manhattan) helps too.  I'm definitely planning on negotiating though.  Brooklyn won't give me a cent, though, if they let me in.  30k on the table is hard to pass up, even if I don't get the 60k for top 15%.  Don't you think?

ronaldo699

• View Profile
« Reply #145 on: March 28, 2008, 03:35:21 PM »
look, you'll get into brook since you broke 160, at least if you r down for the pt program..

i have some friends at NYLS, and it seems cutthroat to say the least...  i transfered from a school a lil further down the pecking order in ny, and brook is making things significantly easier

i do not think 30k is worth turning down brook for nyls..  and top 15 is dammmmmnnn tough no matter where you go..

oh - and ur literally in lower manhattan w/in 10 mins by subway

epicac

• press play
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #146 on: March 28, 2008, 04:00:16 PM »
look, you'll get into brook since you broke 160, at least if you r down for the pt program..

i have some friends at NYLS, and it seems cutthroat to say the least...  i transfered from a school a lil further down the pecking order in ny, and brook is making things significantly easier

i do not think 30k is worth turning down brook for nyls..  and top 15 is dammmmmnnn tough no matter where you go..

oh - and ur literally in lower manhattan w/in 10 mins by subway

10 mins?  Don't trains come every 10?  I thought the stop itself was a 5 min walk from the station.  Maybe I'll have to check out the campus.  And I understand that I'm on the bubble.. but that's what the waitlist is for, you know?  There are people on LSN who went complete in November and haven't heard anything.

I'll give it a shot, but I just got a great feeling when I was around NYLS and it's neighborhood.  I'll probably end up living in Brooklyn, though.. Bushwick maybe?

ronaldo699

• View Profile
« Reply #147 on: March 28, 2008, 04:46:31 PM »
the best part of brooklyn is the location..  the courthouses and legal opp's in downtown brooklyn aside, there are tons of subways literally underneath the school.. yes, the 4/5 and 2/3 will put u in the financial sector w/in 10 or 15 mins max after ur class is over..   i live near union square and am door to door from my apt w/in 30 mins max - 20 mins during rush hour.

ur right, i guess its annoying that brook doesnt waitlist people, but like i said, hound em a lil (i.e. send an updated resume maybe) and say ur interested in pt and i bet your golden.   

lurker128

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #148 on: March 29, 2008, 01:17:40 PM »
Been reading this thread with interest. I have been offered a very, very substantial scholarship at BLS, and having lived in Brooklyn before am in love with the school's location. You guys have already been over the essentials of career prospects and academics at BLS, and I am comfortable with it on some level.

It's not so much that one needs to be in the top 10% to nail a biglaw job, or a bit lower depending on market, resume, luck, etc...it's these doomsday stories I hear on internet boards that you will be relegated to years of dead-end document review and personal injury work if you don't finish that high. There will be less pressure on me to do big law since my debt, while substantial, would be not at all crippling. I would be willing to give biglaw a shot for a few years but knowing that kind of lifestyle I can't imagine myself in it long term. So what other (good!)jobs do people get, and do you have to have similar grades to have a shot at them?

rosetta

• View Profile
« Reply #149 on: March 29, 2008, 06:11:20 PM »
hi, ive read this thread from start to finish and have a few questions:

1) CP, were you admitted into Columbia as a transfer student? What was the outcome of your transfer application?

2) I'm also choosing b/t BLS (with a huge scholarship covering 80% of tuition) and Fordham. Do you think it's easier to be at the top of the class at BLS compared with Fordham? I know that one must be at the top of the class at both schools to land the BigLaw jobs. However, I heard that firms dig deeper into Fordham.

3) Compared to last year, do you think BLS and Fordham differ a lot in terms of corporate law/private sector jobs now?

4) Are the journals accessible to students in the top 30% of the class? What is the cut off for journal invitations/placement?

Thanks so much for volunteering your time to write to us and help us make these very difficult life-altering decisions about where to attend law school. Speaking on behalf of all the pre-law students here, we really appreciate your time and advice.