Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What is this concept of URM?  (Read 1001 times)

uesi

• View Profile
What is this concept of URM?
« on: June 22, 2006, 03:23:14 PM »
Where did people get the notion to come up with the term of “under represented minority”? I am still struggling to understand what conditions qualify an ethnic group to have this status and the AA benefits. It’s true that there may still be some racial discrimination, but that is a problem that will persist forever. Under the current AA rules, does anyone feel that maybe native Indians are the only group that may deserve the status of URM? African-Americans and Hispanics may not be well represented in society, but they are still visible to the public in law related careers. There are a number of Hispanic/African-American mayors, judges, senators, etc. When was the last time anyone has ever heard of an Asian, Indian, or Native Indian in prominent positions? What have they done to be excluded from the URM group? It can even be stretched to lower class whites. Very rarely do any of them make the jump from minimum wage to Supreme Court Justice. Should they be included as URM’s as well?

How do others feel about this subject? I may just be thinking the completely wrong direction.

pikey

• LSD Obsessed
  • Did ya do it? Then why are ya sorry?
    • View Profile
Re: What is this concept of URM?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2006, 04:05:00 PM »
Where did people get the notion to come up with the term of “under represented minority”? I am still struggling to understand what conditions qualify an ethnic group to have this status and the AA benefits. It’s true that there may still be some racial discrimination, but that is a problem that will persist forever. Under the current AA rules, does anyone feel that maybe native Indians are the only group that may deserve the status of URM? African-Americans and Hispanics may not be well represented in society, but they are still visible to the public in law related careers. There are a number of Hispanic/African-American mayors, judges, senators, etc. When was the last time anyone has ever heard of an Asian, Indian, or Native Indian in prominent positions? What have they done to be excluded from the URM group? It can even be stretched to lower class whites. Very rarely do any of them make the jump from minimum wage to Supreme Court Justice. Should they be included as URM’s as well?

How do others feel about this subject? I may just be thinking the completely wrong direction.

It's underrepresented minority, not unvisible minority.  I'm not about to guess at percentages but the percentage of Blacks, Latinos, and Natives in the legal profession and law schools is much less than their representation in the US population.  Natives are included as URMs.

Not visible=/=not present.  Just because you don't know many big name Asian judges doesn't mean that they aren't represented in the legal profession.  In fact, they may be slightly over represented, when compared to the US population. 
The noobs are so into themsleves you'd think they allready have offers at Tool, Tool, feminine hygiene product & Dumbass LLC

lsn