Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Pacific versus Hofstra  (Read 1131 times)

dok101

• View Profile
Re: Pacific versus Hofstra
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2006, 07:21:34 PM »
I agree, it is the obvious....BUT....I think far too much is made of the whole "you'll never got a job from X Law School in X City" thing.

AMEN, brother!

gibbsale

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2006, 08:39:21 PM »
I don't think I would recommend going to Hofstra if you planned on working in California. I am not even sure it is wise to go to a place like, say,  Indiana Bloomington without keeping in mind that a significant majority end up in either Indiana or elsewhere in the Midwest.

I can tell you that McGeorge has been a pretty good experience so far. I'm in the FT division, but I have a couple of friends in the PT division who loved it. There are plenty of people who get jobs outside of Sacramento, but it is primarily the Bay Area, central California, LA and Las Vegas; I think 90% of the graduates remain in CA. I really like Northern California, so I'm pretty happy to have job opportunities in the region. I knew I would  prefer living out West, so the decision was not too difficult.

On the other hand, if you really think Hofstra would be a better fit and McGeorge would not be a good fit, you might want to go to Hofstra. But the difference between the two (as far as reputation) is very small.

sbr224

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2006, 08:45:47 PM »
the competition you will face from hofstra going into the ny market probably will be comparable to the competition you will get from pacific going into the cali market.

go to the area you'd prefer.

chevelle

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2006, 08:56:33 PM »
I got into higher ranked schools than Hofstra but Hofstra was always my first choice...Hofstra has a great faculty and students get great jobs.

I am happy with my decision to attend Hofstra; I went to an Ivy for undergrad...it's not everything you think it is. I know a lot of people who are still struggling to get decent jobs.   I know it isn't the same for law, but I have come to learn that name isn't everything.

Choose where you'll be happy, and the place you feel is the best for you. In the end, it's really your own comfort level and happiness that matter the most.

I am so sick of hearing about rankings. I believe they cause too many people to make the wrong decision when it comes to what school they should attend - your concern when making such a decision should be yourself, not some magazine's ever-changing formula.

cmedici

• Sr. Citizen
    • MSN Messenger - camila_de_medici
    • AOL Instant Messenger - c+of+dreams13
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2006, 10:19:57 PM »
I got into higher ranked schools than Hofstra but Hofstra was always my first choice...Hofstra has a great faculty and students get great jobs.

I am happy with my decision to attend Hofstra; I went to an Ivy for undergrad...it's not everything you think it is. I know a lot of people who are still struggling to get decent jobs.   I know it isn't the same for law, but I have come to learn that name isn't everything.

Choose where you'll be happy, and the place you feel is the best for you. In the end, it's really your own comfort level and happiness that matter the most.

I am so sick of hearing about rankings. I believe they cause too many people to make the wrong decision when it comes to what school they should attend - your concern when making such a decision should be yourself, not some magazine's ever-changing formula.

:)indeed! :)
UMD graduate 05
1st LSAT: Oct 1st 2005

BollywoodESQ

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2006, 10:35:01 PM »
To those who have been helpful, thank you.  I've been thinking about it...and I know in my heart that 10 years down the line, I just might regret not going to NY - irregardless of the experience that awaits me - if I decide now to go to Pacific. I can't seem to find a dealbreaking reason to pick Pacific over Hofstra even if going to Hofstra means a 'tougher' time getting a job. 

Let me tell you guys the reasons I would attend Hofstra:
1. Transactional Legal Studies Program
2. New Location = Whole New Experience
3. New People (I'm stuck in the OC bubble!)
4. Decent/Good Rep
5. Environment I feel I can thrive in

Pacific:
1. International Law Specialization
2. Location
3. Decent/Good Rep
4. Perhaps an easier time getting a job (something I'm not all that concerned about)

If anyone has anything to add or help with the weigh in, feel free...

thanks again,
bw
Hofstra Law '09

Makin the big move from cali... :)

BollywoodESQ

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2006, 10:51:53 PM »
and yes, my conversation was with Adam Barrett
Hofstra Law '09

Manwithaplan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2006, 11:23:52 PM »
Ron Shivenstein you are a bastard. you're answer is trash and belongs in the trash. i dont see how you can relate to bollywood esq position at all on any level. you have been marked. search around you have been nominated for the most pretigious award on the board, and this is something im sure a person like you would appreaciate.
USD Law grad

BollywoodESQ

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2006, 11:25:28 PM »
Ron Shivenstein you are a bastard. you're answer is trash and belongs in the trash. i dont see how you can relate to bollywood esq position at all on any level. you have been marked. search around you have been nominated for the most pretigious award on the board, and this is something im sure a person like you would appreaciate.

hehe, thanks richard  :)
Hofstra Law '09

scottyd1982

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • I'm a MySpace Whore
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2006, 12:01:54 AM »
Bollywood, I think my situation was very similar to yours. I live in Reno, and McGeorge is considered THE Nevada law school (even ahead of UNLV, which has an awful bar passage rate). I do have some desire to wind up back in Nevada upon graduation...but I chose to go to American which places principally in the Mid-Atlantic region. The thing is, I already have connections and ties in the Reno legal community. I currently work for a criminal defense attorney handling the most high-profile cases in town, and I can guarantee that THAT connection, moreso than any T14 experience I might have, will get me in the door quicker than a resume that says "Ron Shivenstein".

Kudos to you on following your heart. I decided the night before seat deposits were due to forego McGeorge and their $$$ offer in favor of American. Haven't regretted it to this day.
UGPA: 3.4, 3.9 last 3 years
LSAT: 163
B.A.: University of Nevada
Majors: History/Poli Sci

Dates: DePaul ($$), San Francisco ($$), Temple, Villanova, Cincinnati ($$), Pacific ($$), Loyola Marymount, San Diego

Friends: Loyola-Chicago, UC-Davis

Rejections: None

Fiancee: American