Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Pacific versus Hofstra  (Read 1115 times)

BollywoodESQ

• View Profile
Pacific versus Hofstra
« on: June 22, 2006, 02:55:23 PM »
Hi everyone,

I'm currently torn...for the past 2 or 3 months, I have had my heart set on moving to NY to begin the full time program at Hofstra in the fall.  Yesterday, I received a spot off the waitlist for the UoP PT division.  I am a native southern Californian with the belief that I will ultimately come back to California to practice law.  While I do believe the ranking difference between Pacific and Hostra is marginal, I do think Pacific offers a better chance at my attaining a job in California.  With that said, however, I think Hofstra is a better fit for me personally - and I think I could really benefit from the new experience.  Also, something to know, the Dean of Pacific has told me that I should have NO problem getting into the full time program (whether it is this summer or the next) and ultimately graduating in 3 years.  Otherwise, I wouldn't mind working in the meantime. Anyone with any comments/experience/advice would be of GREAT help.  I am of course leaning toward Hofstra at this point, but I'd like to make an informed decision.  Thank you ahead of time to those who take the time to respond!

-bw
Hofstra Law '09

Makin the big move from cali... :)

cultural_vacuum

Re: Pacific versus Hofstra
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2006, 03:04:02 PM »
Don't go to Hofstra with the intent of practicing in California unless you are prepared to possibly scramble for work or open up your own solo practice.

Pacific/McGeorge appears to do okay in California, particularly Sacramento, but you will face a lot of competition in southern California from all the schools there.

BollywoodESQ

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2006, 03:09:32 PM »
I should have prefaced that statement by saying I at this point, I see myself coming back to cali, but that's simply because socal is all I know.  I know it is a highly competitive job market, and I'm ready to deal with that -- my concern at this point is deciding which school will be the best for me.  And, I know it will be hard to get a job either way.  Thank you for your response :-)
Hofstra Law '09

Makin the big move from cali... :)

scottyd1982

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • I'm a MySpace Whore
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2006, 06:01:10 PM »
Was it Adam Barrett who told you that you'd have no problem transferring to full-time? For the record, Adam is perhaps one of the most candid guys I've met, and I had two personal interviews with him before deciding to go to American instead. I think you could take his word for it.

It basically boils down to this, though...which do you value more, and which scenario would you prefer:

1. Going to law school in New York and getting that experience, then facing an uphill battle getting a job back in California.

-OR-

2. Having an good time in Sacramento during law school while sacrificing NYC, but having a much easier path to working in California.

And, for the record, the rhetoric on this board regarding jobs is, I think, an exercise in overkill. Yes, it is easier for a UCLA or Loyola grad to get a job in Southern California, but, come on...it's not like you go to McGeorge and then work at McDonald's. I think ALL THINGS HOLDING EQUAL the name on the diploma matters. Other than that, it's the niche that YOU choose to carve out for yourself.

What is your heart telling you? I followed mine, and I've been at peace with my decision ever since.
UGPA: 3.4, 3.9 last 3 years
LSAT: 163
B.A.: University of Nevada
Majors: History/Poli Sci

Dates: DePaul ($$), San Francisco ($$), Temple, Villanova, Cincinnati ($$), Pacific ($$), Loyola Marymount, San Diego

Friends: Loyola-Chicago, UC-Davis

Rejections: None

Fiancee: American

cultural_vacuum

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2006, 06:24:33 PM »
What is it about Pacific/McGeorge that has you hesitating? Are you just dying to get out of Cal? Are you afraid to enroll in a part-time program?

What is it about the Hofstra that makes you think it would be measurably better than McGeorge? I assume you have visited both schools.

If you went to Hofstra, would you be comfortable with practicing in NY? Are you comfortable with the level of competition you'd be up against in NY?

It might be best to try to address whatever concerns you have with students or graduates of both schools and the schools' administration.

For the record, I have nothing against Pacific/McGeorge , I was just stating the obvious-the school seems to do better in Sac/NorCal than it does in SoCal.

scottyd1982

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • I'm a MySpace Whore
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2006, 06:31:49 PM »
I agree, it is the obvious....BUT....I think far too much is made of the whole "you'll never got a job from X Law School in X City" thing.

Dates: DePaul ($$), San Francisco ($$), Temple, Villanova, Cincinnati ($$), Pacific ($$), Loyola Marymount, San Diego

Ron Shivenstein

• SHIVENSTEIN!!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2006, 06:48:03 PM »
I was kind of in the same situation as you a few months back (Yale vs. NYU$$$). If I had to choose between those schools, I would have to say TAKE THE LSAT AGAIN!!. Please take my advice to heart. With some real dedication you can get that LSAT score you really want. Remember, "Rome wasn't built in a day", so set those goals a little higher and aim for Ivy!

Hi everyone,

I'm currently torn...for the past 2 or 3 months, I have had my heart set on moving to NY to begin the full time program at Hofstra in the fall.  Yesterday, I received a spot off the waitlist for the UoP PT division.  I am a native southern Californian with the belief that I will ultimately come back to California to practice law.  While I do believe the ranking difference between Pacific and Hostra is marginal, I do think Pacific offers a better chance at my attaining a job in California.  With that said, however, I think Hofstra is a better fit for me personally - and I think I could really benefit from the new experience.  Also, something to know, the Dean of Pacific has told me that I should have NO problem getting into the full time program (whether it is this summer or the next) and ultimately graduating in 3 years.  Otherwise, I wouldn't mind working in the meantime. Anyone with any comments/experience/advice would be of GREAT help.  I am of course leaning toward Hofstra at this point, but I'd like to make an informed decision.  Thank you ahead of time to those who take the time to respond!

-bw
LSAT: 177

VASSAR '05

cmedici

• Sr. Citizen
    • MSN Messenger - camila_de_medici
    • AOL Instant Messenger - c+of+dreams13
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2006, 07:17:59 PM »
I was kind of in the same situation as you a few months back (Yale vs. NYU$$$). If I had to choose between those schools, I would have to say TAKE THE LSAT AGAIN!!. Please take my advice to heart. With some real dedication you can get that LSAT score you really want. Remember, "Rome wasn't built in a day", so set those goals a little higher and aim for Ivy!

Mmmm...well, I respectfully disagree.  You see, I had a high LSAT, got into some amazing schools (including one Ivy) but opted to go to Hofstra and not pay anything instead.  You would be surprised at the placements for last year's class!  Hofstra Law is a fairly new school, established in 1970, so I think it has a lot of potential, and it is a group of talented students that can help it achieve a higher status.  Plus, Ivys are more crucial if you are planning on becoming a Professor than if you want a corporate job.  As to the original question, I would go to school where I feel the most comfortable and think you would do best in. 
UMD graduate 05
1st LSAT: Oct 1st 2005

scottyd1982

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • I'm a MySpace Whore
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2006, 07:18:51 PM »
Ron Shivenstein, you are a feminine hygiene product.

scottyd1982

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • I'm a MySpace Whore
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2006, 07:20:28 PM »
Frickin' FCC. I can't even say "d0uchebag" on here?