Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Sorry,,,,what does everyone think?  (Read 2356 times)

legalkitty

• Sr. Citizen
  • The more people I meet, the more I like my cat!
    • View Profile
Sorry,,,,what does everyone think?
« on: August 15, 2004, 01:35:50 PM »
Here's my situation. I have a 147 LSAT and a 3.06 UGPA. I am planning to go into Public Interest (I want to work at an animal rights org.) and I currently work for a national animal org that I have since been promoted and have also been published in our magazine. I have a lot of community service. Downsides (besides LSAT): since grad, I took some non-degree classes and twice had to drop out without withdrawing formally. I have an addendum explaining why (once for work and once for illness that ended up being a brain tumor-this cost me my hearing in my right ear and my undergrad is in Music. How's that for irony?). Anyway, will this really hurt me despite the good I have to offer? Here's where I am applying: Rutgers (Newark), Temple, U of Balt., CUNY, Pace, HOfstra, Touro, NYLS, Widener (both campuses), U of DC--all part-time except U of DC and CUNY. Help! I need a pep talk!!
Attending: Widener PA!!
http://www.aldf.org

foxnewssucks

Re: Sorry,,,,what does everyone think?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2004, 01:45:27 PM »
Out of the schools you listed, I think you have a chance at CUNY, Touro,Widener and DC.  I think the key to your application would be to focus on your animal rights work and how you want to continue this after LS.  A lot of people BS about going into Public Interest, but you can actually back it up with relevant work and a perceived desire.  I think your addendum will be fine and what about retaking the LSAT?

jgruber

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2004, 03:52:22 PM »
Widener at Harrisburg has ties to the state government and could be a good school for you.

I've been thinking about trying to transfer -- for just that reason -- one of these days, if I can tear myself away from Tennessee.

legalkitty

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2004, 09:58:44 AM »
Widener at Harrisburg has ties to the state government and could be a good school for you.

I've been thinking about trying to transfer -- for just that reason -- one of these days, if I can tear myself away from Tennessee.

Thank you for being so helpful and nice! Some of these people are brutal!! As for Harrisburg, I would LOVE to attend there. I think I will apply to both Wideners to increase my chances, but that is where I am really hoping for.

As for retaking the LSAT, I am an appalling bad standardized test taker (860 on SAT), and while in practice I have gotten as high as a 151, I am too concerned that I will do worse. Ugh! I can't wait until this process is OVER!!!

jgruber

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2004, 10:17:18 AM »
Be warned that Widener is ranked deadlast by US News & World Report.

Thank you for being so helpful and nice! Some of these people are brutal!! As for Harrisburg, I would LOVE to attend there. I think I will apply to both Wideners to increase my chances, but that is where I am really hoping for.

As for retaking the LSAT, I am an appalling bad standardized test taker (860 on SAT), and while in practice I have gotten as high as a 151, I am too concerned that I will do worse. Ugh! I can't wait until this process is OVER!!!

NYKnicks

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2004, 10:19:37 AM »
Lol, isn't that because its alphabetical though?
Sucks for them anyway.  :D

jgruber

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2004, 10:23:07 AM »
USNWR is entitled to their opinion, but it is weighted against schools that don't fit their mold.

I would like to be able to move up to Pa. and go to Widener.  They offer what I want.  I don't want BIGLAW or to teach law or anything of the things you need highly rated schools for.

legalkitty

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2004, 01:43:33 PM »
USNWR is entitled to their opinion, but it is weighted against schools that don't fit their mold.

I would like to be able to move up to Pa. and go to Widener.  They offer what I want.  I don't want BIGLAW or to teach law or anything of the things you need highly rated schools for.

Me either. High ranks are totally irrelevant to what I want to do. I am really hoping for Widener!!

S.J.

• Sr. Citizen
  • That which does not kill us, makes us stronger
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2004, 03:18:27 PM »
Kitty, as long as you can get a job with the group you're with (or a similar group, based on your experience), it won't matter where you go to school, so just have fun and learn a lot wherever you go.  You'll definitely get in somewhere.
T25 or bust

Monkey

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2004, 03:47:45 PM »
Kitty, someone I know got a 141 LSAT (just a really bad test-taker, too) and had a GPA of around 2.8 (college athlete who didn't really care at the time.)  He had to go through a summer program at Widener (Harrisburg) before being admitted, but successfully completed it and was accepted.  He's now a consulting attorney for the State Dept. in DC, and loves it.  These situations are definitely what you make of them.  Long story short, I think Widener is realistic for you.  (And Widener is T4, but it's only at the bottom of T4 because they list T3's and T4's alphabetically.)
Attending: W&M