Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: my car got scratched...  (Read 1150 times)

Dewitt

my car got scratched...
« on: August 15, 2004, 12:54:57 PM »
i parallel parked it in front of my apt behind a beater. when i went out there this morning, there was a scratch on the front bumper. it was just a scratch but it pissed me off cause 2 months ago, my car got stolen and when it was recovered the insurance company just retouched the whole car so it looked brand new.

the car is gone now but if it comes back, i'll be able to identify it. do i have any legal remedy against this mother fucker?

wstaffor

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3.35/174
    • AOL Instant Messenger - WillyRayCyrus06
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: my car got scratched...
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2004, 01:19:02 PM »
i parallel parked it in front of my apt behind a beater. when i went out there this morning, there was a scratch on the front bumper. it was just a scratch but it pissed me off cause 2 months ago, my car got stolen and when it was recovered the insurance company just retouched the whole car so it looked brand new.

the car is gone now but if it comes back, i'll be able to identify it. do i have any legal remedy against this mother fucker?

What I would do is when it comes back, get it's license plate no. and call your insurance company. Tell them the story, and see what they say. They will probably attempt to recover the cost of fixing it in some way, and they will definitely fix your car, assuming you have full coverage.
Accepted: Georgetown, Penn, Baylor ($Full$)
Pending: Harvard, Chicago, UVA, Northwestern, Emory, Tulane
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=wstaffor

Dewitt

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2004, 01:55:05 PM »
there will be a $250 deductable though. i was wondering if i could take him to small claims or something like that.

foxnewssucks

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2004, 02:01:28 PM »
you definitely can, but it may not be worth it.  Is there a witness?  If not, it could be problematic.  If you do want to take them to small claims, filing would be about $30 and serving them with the papers would be $20.  If you win, you can get this money back... but there is always a chance that you will not win and you are out the $50.  Also, keep in mind that you will have to take time off work or school etc to go to court... this might not be a problem for you, but again you could be losing 100+ dollars if you miss some work.  If you do win the case, you still have to collect the money... the person might just write you a check then and there, but they also may never pay you and getting the money can be difficult. 

if anything you may want to just go talk to the person and see if you can get them to pay for it if they realize they caused you damage.

thechoson

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2004, 09:45:25 PM »
Yes there is a remedy.  Buy 3 plane tickets.  One from LAX to Minneapolis for me, one from Newark to Minn. for Dsong, and one from Newark to Minn for Reindeer.

Then teh 4 of us get together, and beat the living *&^% out of the mofo.

that's your remedy

Tobias Beecher

• Sr. Citizen
    • MSN Messenger - roger_76@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2004, 10:02:03 PM »
a fellow LSDer did it...

it was me....

;)

Dewitt

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2004, 10:50:12 PM »
Yes there is a remedy.  Buy 3 plane tickets.  One from LAX to Minneapolis for me, one from Newark to Minn. for Dsong, and one from Newark to Minn for Reindeer.

Then teh 4 of us get together, and beat the living *&^% out of the mofo.

that's your remedy

i like that. 4 asian guys on the rampage. and we get to beat up clone too in the process.  ;)

thechoson

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2004, 10:51:07 PM »
ahh, this is your chicks, dig my cute face, avatar

Dewitt

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2004, 11:18:24 PM »
ahh, this is your chicks, dig my cute face, avatar

yeah. you look cute with glasses.

NYKnicks

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2004, 11:21:10 PM »
You're all hot...any luck with your car situation?