Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Michigan vs. Northwestern  (Read 2163 times)

Quail!

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Michigan vs. Northwestern
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2006, 04:27:47 PM »
Michigan no question...

The only think NU has that Michigan doesn't is a sitting US Supreme Court justice, and he won't be there much longer, and when he's gone NU's reputation and ranking will likely decline to more realistic levels as a result

That's quite the bogus statement.  Having a sitting Supreme Court Justice does not impact the quality of a Northwestern Law School education.  The school is top-notch on many legitimate bases, and consistently ranks in the top 3 for job prospects (NU uses a random lottery system with concealed GPAs to match its students with employers).  You don't get that for having a sitting S.C. Justice.

Either way OP chooses, he will have the chance to obtain an incredible legal education

Andromeda

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2006, 04:32:19 PM »
If you got any money at Northwestern, I'd definitely go that way. Michigan's prestige level is greater than that of Northwestern, but if they throw some money in the mix, I doubt there would be that much of a difference between the two.

junetesttaker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2006, 02:06:11 PM »
The OP wants to end up in a big city. If I assume he means any big city, then Michigan it is. I will return to NYC after 3 years, so when I faced this very same situation, I opted for Michigan.
The University of Michigan Law School Class of 2009

east_meets_west

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2006, 04:05:34 PM »
Honestly, both schools place well in pretty much every major American city. The difference between them is so marginal that my recommendation would be to decide based on other factors related to the school, such as how happy you think you will be there. If there are certain things about either school's location that make it much better (or much worse), then go there. But it's my opinion that one of the side effects of frequent posting/reading on LSD leads to pointless and ultimately meaningless hair-splitting with regard to rankings and placement statistics.
Northwestern 2010!

SCOTUS

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2006, 05:45:12 PM »
My final decision came down to these two choices, and I chose to go with Michigan.  I have nothing but accolades for Northwestern -- I got a very positive vibe from the school, the administration, and the students I met during my visit.  What did it for me?  1.)I'm sure I'd do just fine jobwise coming out of NU, but Michigan is much more national in its reach.  I believe that only Harvard beats Michigan for placing students in more regions.  As I'll probably return to NY when I'm done, that was important.  2.) I went with my gut.  Every experience with Michigan -- from interactions with the admissions staff, to hearing how the students articulate their law school experience, to things I read, to walking around the campus -- just clicked for me. 

If I'd only gotten into Northwestern, I would have been very happy to go there.  But since I was fortunate to have a choice, I went with Michigan.  Can you visit both and see whether either school has this kind of pull for you?

Actually, UVA is second to Harvard, not UMich  :P.

Actually, UChicago is second to Harvard.
http://www.leiterrankings.com/jobs/index.shtml

...and I have loyalties to both UMich and UVA, fwiw.

Goodfella

• Sr. Citizen
  • I get to live the rest of my life like a schnook
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2006, 05:48:37 PM »
My final decision came down to these two choices, and I chose to go with Michigan.  I have nothing but accolades for Northwestern -- I got a very positive vibe from the school, the administration, and the students I met during my visit.  What did it for me?  1.)I'm sure I'd do just fine jobwise coming out of NU, but Michigan is much more national in its reach.  I believe that only Harvard beats Michigan for placing students in more regions.  As I'll probably return to NY when I'm done, that was important.  2.) I went with my gut.  Every experience with Michigan -- from interactions with the admissions staff, to hearing how the students articulate their law school experience, to things I read, to walking around the campus -- just clicked for me. 

If I'd only gotten into Northwestern, I would have been very happy to go there.  But since I was fortunate to have a choice, I went with Michigan.  Can you visit both and see whether either school has this kind of pull for you?

Actually, UVA is second to Harvard, not UMich  :P.

Actually, UChicago is second to Harvard.
http://www.leiterrankings.com/jobs/index.shtml

...and I have loyalties to both UMich and UVA, fwiw.

Hmm, according to this table: http://www.calvin.edu/admin/csr/students/sullivan/law/results.htm we're tied. So I guess we'll have to call it even.
UVA '09

denk

• Sr. Citizen
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - music_art_pdx
    • View Profile
    • My Pre-law blog
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2006, 07:09:23 PM »
But it's my opinion that one of the side effects of frequent posting/reading on LSD leads to pointless and ultimately meaningless hair-splitting with regard to rankings and placement statistics.

I agree 100%.  Seeing an endless flood of posts with nothing more to add than, "School XXX for sure", based simply on a rating and no personal experience or sources makes me want to cut out my liver and eat it.

I'll try to lead by example:  Personally, I'd choose Michigan over NU.  Here's why:

I have a friend who just graduated from NU.  He thought it was a great education, very competent school and faculty.  But he didn't fit in with the student body.  Found them to be very homogenous; relatively young, conservative and well off.  He started law school in his early thirties, and is a very liberal democrat.  He had worked as a teacher before going back to school.  He felt very out of place.  He'd show up at social events dressed casually, and the other guys would be wearing ties.

So there's my take - for someone else, this description might be a positive. 

Bullsh1tDetector

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2006, 08:27:48 AM »
I have a friend who just graduated from NU.  He thought it was a great education, very competent school and faculty.  But he didn't fit in with the student body.  Found them to be very homogenous; relatively young, conservative and well off. He started law school in his early thirties, and is a very liberal democrat.  He had worked as a teacher before going back to school.  He felt very out of place.  He'd show up at social events dressed casually, and the other guys would be wearing ties.

So there's my take - for someone else, this description might be a positive. 

lololol, *beep, beep, beep, beep* (bull detector goes off)

NU is generally considered one of the most laid-back schools in the T14.

btw- east_meets_west had it absolutely right.  neither nu nor umich is the power it was 50 years ago (umich used to be top 3 with HY, nu used to be top 5 with HYMC); they're both obvious bottom-half t14 schools.  consider factors like how well you think you'd "fit" in with the area and stuff.  i know nu does better with firms, while umich might be better with clerkships/academia, so consider the route you want to take after school.

but for anybody to argue either school is much better than the other, or that one  "definitely" has more prestige, is ludicrous.

denk

• Sr. Citizen
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - music_art_pdx
    • View Profile
    • My Pre-law blog
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2006, 02:23:05 PM »
NU is generally considered one of the most laid-back schools in the T14.

Maybe conventional wisdom is wrong. :-) 

Also, I don't think this point of view is inconsistent with what I wrote.

UMGrad

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2006, 01:37:51 AM »
I think Michigan is a no brainer here unless there is some nice $$$ coming from NW. If you look at the most prestigious law firms, you will see many more Mich grads than NW. Regradless of whether BigLaw is the direction you want to go, this says something about the overall rep of a school. In my opinion Mich and UVA round out the "super national reputation" list. NW, while obviously a great law school, does not have the national name recognition as Mich.

Disclosure: the UM stands for Miami not Michigan.