Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 3.56 170-176  (Read 1083 times)

hereshopin

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: 3.56 170-176
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2006, 01:02:57 AM »
You do have a shot at Harvard with a 176, especially if you have a major or if you went to a college that is known for low GPAs, and you have good soft factors. But it's a low shot. Maybe a 2 out of 10.

With a 170, all these schools are reaches. Maybe G*town, maybe Penn.

Not if this cycle is indicative of a new trend in their admissions.

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/search_schools.php?action=search&school_code=0008&lsat1=&lsat2=&fee_waiver=0&status=0&gpa_lsdas1=2.0&gpa_lsdas2=3.6&attending=0&cycle=3&gpa_degree1=&gpa_degree2=&withdrawn=0&program=1&index1=&index2=&state=0&application_type=0&scholarship1=&scholarship2=&sex=0&multiple_lsat=0&urm=0&x=25&y=8&international=0

Out of everyone accepted with below the 3.6, all are URM's, except for two, one of which is clearly a flame (151, 2.0), and the other which is either a flame or the guy has serious connections.

Obviously, LSN may not be perfectly representative of the applicant pool in general, but the fact that there are people with below the 3.6 who got the Toby call and were subsequently rejected says something. 

Yep.

Are you agreeing with him or me?

You.
DeVry Tech '10

Googler

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2006, 01:09:22 AM »
You do have a shot at Harvard with a 176, especially if you have a major or if you went to a college that is known for low GPAs, and you have good soft factors. But it's a low shot. Maybe a 2 out of 10.

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/search_schools.php?action=search&school_code=0008&lsat1=&lsat2=&fee_waiver=0&status=0&gpa_lsdas1=2.0&gpa_lsdas2=3.6&attending=0&cycle=3&gpa_degree1=&gpa_degree2=&withdrawn=0&program=1&index1=&index2=&state=0&application_type=0&scholarship1=&scholarship2=&sex=0&multiple_lsat=0&urm=0&x=25&y=8&international=0

Out of everyone accepted with below the 3.6, all are URM's, except for two, one of which is clearly a flame (151, 2.0), and the other which is either a flame or the guy has serious connections.

Obviously, LSN may not be perfectly representative of the applicant pool in general, but the fact that there are people with below the 3.6 who got the Toby call and were subsequently rejected says something. 

Yep.

You.

Ok.  I just figure people shouldn't waste their money if they have 0 chance of getting in.

hereshopin

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2006, 01:11:57 AM »

Yep.

You.

Ok.  I just figure people shouldn't waste their money if they have 0 chance of getting in.

I would agree, but the way I see it, nothings ever a 0% chance. Who knows, this might be the year that Yale decides they need a lanky white kid from rural NY to really round out their incoming class...
DeVry Tech '10

SouthSide

• Sr. Citizen
  • Full speed ahead.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2006, 02:06:54 AM »

here's a non-URM http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=trstn007

This is the guy I was referring to with serious connections.  He claims to have uncles who are professors at both Harvard and Yale.  I think this may be a flame anyway. 

I'd be willing to bet that this trstn007 guy is a flame.
Columbia 2L.

Googler

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2006, 02:19:31 AM »

here's a non-URM http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=trstn007

This is the guy I was referring to with serious connections.  He claims to have uncles who are professors at both Harvard and Yale.  I think this may be a flame anyway. 

I'd be willing to bet that this trstn007 guy is a flame.

I don't doubt that having close family members who are professors can get someone in with lower numbers.  It's more that he posted in his profile that "If you don't get into one of these schools, you shouldn't go to law school at all" or some nonsense.

will_dearborn

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2006, 12:14:42 PM »
what's a flame?

:) ;) :D ;D :( :o 8) ??? ::) :P :-[ :-X :-\ :-* :'(