Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: How to?  (Read 2371 times)

abonni

• View Profile
    • Email
How to?
« on: February 04, 2004, 03:16:05 PM »
I am a Surgeon in practice.
I am 39 years old.
would like to do part time, afternoon law school in southern california.
I did my MD school abroad, one of those 7 year programs and then did all of my specialty and subspecialty training in US ( total of 9 years)...

I have no clue as to how to apply to what law school, and is there any way that I could get in without LSAT? Do I need to first have my degrees leveled and verified here by a certain authority?

I don't think I can study for LSAT now, but please throw in your thoughts.

Ivy_Hopeful

• Sr. Citizen
  • Final UGPA 3.894 / LSAT 141
    • MSN Messenger - dduncan81@msn.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Dduncan81
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - Derryp999
    • View Profile
    • A website that I built and maintain.
Re: How to?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2004, 06:10:43 PM »
I can gaurantee you that you need the LSAT to go to law school no matter what your previous educational experience (be it PhD, MD etc...).

As for your other questions please look around this forum and you will get your answers from various sources (including myself) GOOD LUCK WITH THE LSAT!
Ivy
Winners: Cooley w/$, UDM
Losers: MSU, DePaul, NYLS, UI, Georegtown, WSU, PSU, Kent, Cleavland State, ASU
In Limbo + Purgatory: N/A

Law School Numbers.com

LSD Debut UGPA 3.651 Final UGPA 3.894 / LSAT October 1st, 2005: 141

kattiewitch

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2004, 07:18:01 PM »
I was working full time before my LSAT and barely studied.  I got a 163, which isn't going to get you into yale, but should get you into any part time program.  I would say if you can read one of the books you'll be fine.

lawschoolafterdark

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Law School After Dark
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2004, 03:49:46 PM »
I don't know about CA schools but there are some schools that do not require LSAT's.

I have a couple of doctors including a Cardiologist in my part time section.  They tend to do well because of their problem solving skills.

Ivy_Hopeful

• Sr. Citizen
  • Final UGPA 3.894 / LSAT 141
    • MSN Messenger - dduncan81@msn.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Dduncan81
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - Derryp999
    • View Profile
    • A website that I built and maintain.
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2004, 04:20:31 PM »
Well there you have it, I stand corrected. There ARE schools out there that do not require LSAT however their motives for this are questionable in my opinion (I wish that there was no standardized LAW ADMISSIONS test but there is so everyone should use it to gauge prospective applicants).  ;)
Winners: Cooley w/$, UDM
Losers: MSU, DePaul, NYLS, UI, Georegtown, WSU, PSU, Kent, Cleavland State, ASU
In Limbo + Purgatory: N/A

Law School Numbers.com

LSD Debut UGPA 3.651 Final UGPA 3.894 / LSAT October 1st, 2005: 141

lp4law

• Sr. Citizen
  • super genius
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2004, 05:20:59 PM »
If you want to attend an ABA accredited school, I believe you'll have to submit an LSAT score.  However, there are non-ABA accredited schools in California that do not require an LSAT score.  One of those schools is up in Ventura (Ventura College of Law).

As far as part-time ABA day programs go, you might want to take a look at Southwestern (in LA). They are one of few (if not the only) ABA law schools to offer 4 different JD programs.  Three of these programs are part-time.  One of those part-time programs is a 4-year day program called PLEAS ("Part-Time Legal Education At Southwestern").  Check out this link for more info:  http://www.swlaw.edu/programs/pleas.htm

I'm in the evening program at Southwestern.  One of things I really enjoy about the part-time program is being in a classroom with people who have substantial experience working in a variety of fields.  This is an advantage in that we are better equiped to discuss how a legal concept might apply to a variety of scenarios that are likely to come up in the real world.  My classmates range from musicians and writers to engineers and yes, even a neurosurgeon.

I hope this helps you.  Good luck.
"What we do in life...echoes in eternity." -- Gladiator

jgruber

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2004, 02:18:31 PM »
Go to www.lsac.com and download their sample test.  It is the actual 1996 test.  I took that test cold, timing myself, and got a 156.

Since then I've taken four more sample tests.  I got 156, 156, 154 and 156.
I just got my actual LSAT score a few days ago.  155

Ya wanna talk about consistent?

Taking the sample test should give you a very good idea of how well you would do without studying.  It should take you about 3 hours to complete.