Law School Discussion

"leasing: IBM think pad"

"leasing: IBM think pad"
« on: June 21, 2006, 02:05:38 PM »
i was just on the ibm website checking out the xseries think pads..theres an option to Lease them? :-\ i've never heard of that before...is anyones else going to lease theirs, or are you planning to outright buy it?

also...anyone know which stores in nyc sell the think pad x-series? i want to see it in person and see how heavy it is before i consider buying/or elasing one as the case may be. thanks in advance!

Re: "leasing: IBM think pad"
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2006, 05:42:07 PM »
i was just on the ibm website checking out the xseries think pads..theres an option to Lease them? :-\ i've never heard of that before...is anyones else going to lease theirs, or are you planning to outright buy it?

also...anyone know which stores in nyc sell the think pad x-series? i want to see it in person and see how heavy it is before i consider buying/or elasing one as the case may be. thanks in advance!

what would be your motivation to lease v. buy? i'm guessing it's a lot like leasing a car and once you 'turn' it in at the end there will be charges and such for things that have happened (wear and tear and otherwise) over the three years. Plus you have invested a lot of money and you don't own anything. if you're trying to do it to cut some costs i would recommend 1. charging the computer you want and making monthly payments and/or financing it through the retailer if you need to "finance" it so to speak or 2. finding another part of next year's budget to cut :) I know it's really tough to pay for all this stuff up front but i think your laptop is one of those non negotiable necessary expenses. but then again you could have totally different reasons for leasing :)

i saw the lease option and giggled only because i am the world's clumsiest person. i fully expect to break my computer AT LEAST once by falling down the stairs. therefore, leasing wouldn't be such a great idea for a girl like me :)

tonic

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2006, 05:44:40 PM »
I'm a fan of the Thinkpads, but I'm buying one rather than leasing. I'm like greengrl...I'd drop it and ruin the lease.

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2006, 02:34:05 PM »
oh im definitely NOT leasing it..i had just never seen or heard of such an option as far as laptops were concerned...so you are both getting the X60 series? i think thats what im going for... its highly recommended, and aside for that annoying red button in the middle which i plan to remedy with a wireless mouse, i really like them. i STILL havent seen one in persn yet..are you guys getting the 12in, 15 or 17in screen? im thinking the smaller the screen..the lighter the load

pandabones

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2006, 03:44:30 PM »
oh im definitely NOT leasing it..i had just never seen or heard of such an option as far as laptops were concerned...so you are both getting the X60 series? i think thats what im going for... its highly recommended, and aside for that annoying red button in the middle which i plan to remedy with a wireless mouse, i really like them. i STILL havent seen one in persn yet..are you guys getting the 12in, 15 or 17in screen? im thinking the smaller the screen..the lighter the load

I think leasing of computers is usually something businesses do, probably since they upgrade rather frequently and if they lease they don't have to deal with selling off the obsolete machines (when they still have value).