Law School Discussion

Um...about those computer thingies...

phooey

Re: Um...about those computer thingies...
« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2006, 04:16:34 PM »
Here's what I got from my school:

Macintosh computers are not supported and will not work properly with exam-taking software and may not function with print services. Macintosh computers are used in less than 10% of the legal market and the School of Law does not have the resources to support multiple unrelated operating systems.

Now that Macs can run Windows, their contention may start to change, but I don't want the computer lab geeks to be hostile about helping me troubleshoot problems on a Mac.  Guess I'll just get what they tell me to and see about getting something else when I graduate.
 :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

OingoBoingo

• Simply the best band from the 80's
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 22, 2006, 07:00:21 PM »
Here's what I got from my school:

Macintosh computers are not supported and will not work properly with exam-taking software and may not function with print services. Macintosh computers are used in less than 10% of the legal market and the School of Law does not have the resources to support multiple unrelated operating systems.

Now that Macs can run Windows, their contention may start to change, but I don't want the computer lab geeks to be hostile about helping me troubleshoot problems on a Mac.  Guess I'll just get what they tell me to and see about getting something else when I graduate.
 :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

My school had this exact policy up until a few weeks ago. Now they offer Mac support. That said, I'm going to end up doing the same thing by waiting until after LS to make that first Mac purchase.

Oingo

« Reply #32 on: June 22, 2006, 09:55:20 PM »

This is a little scary since I've only played around on a mac before and the no right click thing has annoyed me to no end. However I think 1 month of two finger scrolling and the trick where you can view all your windows will help me get over that. What other cool features are there?

Sorry that I'm turning this into a mac thread  :-X

I use a 2 button Kensington optical scroll mouse with my mac, and I right-click all over the place.  I can do everthing with the right-click on my mac at home that I can do with the right-click on my PC at work.

btw, thanks for turning this into a mac thread.  I'm not a mac-preacher but I do think they need more exposure, especially in LS! ;D

monet

« Reply #33 on: June 22, 2006, 10:04:07 PM »
I just bought the macbook.... this is my 1st post on it!  :D :D :D

sck

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 23, 2006, 04:24:14 AM »
Heh. I should add tht I'm currently using a Microsoft wireless keyboard and mouse and I'm on my Mac Mini. Not only that, I'm using them through a KVM switch. I was worried they wouldn't work, but I don't have a single problem, other than feeling like they don't track fast enough (I downloaded a toy to increase the tracking speed....)

Jolie Was Here

• 3L. Meh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 23, 2006, 05:28:39 AM »
I just bought the macbook.... this is my 1st post on it!  :D :D :D

Congrats!  I think that you and your macbook will be very happy together!  Feel free to PM me if you have any questions or run into any snags...there are MANY people on here with more sophisticated computer know-how than I, but I'm not sure anyone's more starry-eyed or evangelical about their Macs.   :P  Plus, I just did the PC to Mac conversion a few years ago.

There must be something in the stars.  Last night my mother informed me that she's decided to ditch her PC and buy a Macbook Pro -- it was so cute to hear her wax sentimental about how superior Macs are, when she's never used one a day in her life.  I guess she's determined to visit the Apple store today and pick one up.  The cult grows! 

« Reply #36 on: June 23, 2006, 12:03:28 PM »
My Dell Latitute X1 should get here July 3rd.  I used to like Macs, but I really don't like the scroll bar thing at the bottom they did, but apparently you can get rid of that.  Oh well, I didn't want to worry about not being able to have IT support in school.

phooey

« Reply #37 on: June 23, 2006, 05:22:30 PM »
I think non-computer types like myself get excited about Macs because they give you this naughty, self-righteous little twinge, like you're stickin' it to the man.
Plus, they're cute.  PC's are ugly (usually).

« Reply #38 on: June 24, 2006, 09:30:36 AM »
Hey, I'm so glad this thread is happening!  I'm trying to figure out which Laptop to purchase and have been eyeing the Macbook.  The thing is, I'm not tech savy and don't really know what I should be looking for.  What's the difference between the different Macs, (regarding the diff. pricing)?  Will I have a hard time figuring out the Mac software?  How exactly would I Share files with a PC, notes  for example?  Do you need a Pro to run windows?  Do you need windows to share your docs with other computers?  Also, how do you guys plan to back up your work??  I hope these ????s make sense!  Thanks for helping!
Julie

Jolie Was Here

• 3L. Meh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 24, 2006, 10:07:38 AM »
Hey Julie.  Ask away. 

Software:  nothing to it.  The different software for the Mac platform is much more intuitive and integrative than with a PC, so there's very little to figure out and it all just works.  I was pleasantly surprised to find that even Microsoft software is better on a Mac -- I use MS Office, and I find the Mac version to be much more user-friendly than the PC version.  And you can just swap files back and forth without doing anything special.  I use PCs at work, and I just carry a USB drive to exchange files b/w the computers.  No prob. 

( I know this all sounds very vague and probably somewhat suspect.  But the thing is, I'm not that tech savvy and it's tough to explain.  Macs just work.  I was amazed when I made the switch.)

Backing up:  I have a two-pronged backup strategy.  I bought an external hard drive to back up everything on the computer.  I try to update that once a week, but never let it go more than a month.  I also back up all of my documents to my .mac account (online storage) once a week.  Theres' software built into all of the macs to manage this.  As the tech who rescued everything off my old powerbook (after I'd fried it with a spill :() told me, the world is made up of two kinds of people: those who backup because they once lost everything and those to whom it hasn't happened yet. 

You won't need Windows on your computer unless you plan to use your computer for exams.  Even then, you'll only need Windows if your school uses PC-only exam software.  And you'll only need to boot up in Windows while you're using the computer for exams.  The rest of the time you can pretend it's not there. 

As far as which computer to get, the Macbook will be all the computer you'll need for law school.  They're noticeably faster than the old Powerbooks were (the Macbook is the Intel version of the iBook and the Macbook Pro is the upgrade of the Powerbook.)  The Macbook can run Windows just as the Pro can. 

Okay, hope all of this helps.  Feel free to PM me with more questions.  Or, better yet, feel free to ask for advice from actual computer people rather than an aspiring geek such as myself.  ;)