Law School Discussion

Um...about those computer thingies...

mobo

• View Profile
Re: Um...about those computer thingies...
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2006, 08:01:41 PM »
(snip)

since i have been using pc's for 15 years (and am a reformed techie myself) and the last time i used a mac was a friend's mac...in 1989. remember the really cute ones with the floppy drive built right in (or am i talking to myself on this one)?

Oh no, I remember those.  They were all over my undergrad when I started there.  The monochromatic screens...

Ah, but they were so much better than the PCs running WordPerfect...

now THAT is funny, and so so true.

jolie - thanks for the website references, looks like i can't escape my research till you drop tendencies...

« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2006, 03:14:39 AM »
I'm about to purchase my school's recommended Dell laptop, even though I have a great Powerbook (purchased just 7 months before the Mac Intel switch so Bootcamp is not an option).  My PB has all the Omni software plus all of MS Office, but since Denver explicitly says no Macs I decided to just go ahead and buy the Dell. 

It's not that I have the $$ to waste- far from it- but I have firsthand experience with other university IT departments flat out refusing to deal with Macs at all.  It usually went something like "You can't access the network?  Must be because you have a Mac.  Nevermind that the guy on the PC next to you can't get on either..."

I plan on using the Dell ONLY for school stuff- all the fun stuff I do with Adobe, FinalCut, Macromedia, will stay with the PB...not that I'll have time for the fun stuff ::)

sck

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2006, 04:03:46 AM »
I remember the old Mac boxes... My computer in college (I started in 91) was an old Mac Classic :) That was my last experience with them until a friend started showing me his gorgeous Powerbook, and I got a Mac Mini. I swear at the Mini a lot, but that's because it's the first gen and is underpowered...

Oddly, I've never had a crashing problem with my PCs. Maybe I'm just lucky, maybe it's the fact that I've had a home-built computer for the past ten years, maybe it's because I run a ridiculously clean system. I dunno.

But for sheer beauty, I love the macs.

« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2006, 10:21:30 AM »
I don't see how people can take notes on a laptop. When I take notes (not that I did much in undergrad) I like to draw pictures and diagrams and write in weird places on the page so that the relationships between things I'm writing make sense. I guess you could do this on a computer, but I wouldn't know how to do it and keep up. Also, I prefer to use more of my attention on the prof and what he/she is saying and less on my notes, so there won't be pages and pages of dense text to transcribe. I plan on handwriting my notes and then incorporating them into my outlines, which will be typed.

Have you considered a tablet style notebook? In some respects you could have the best of both worlds.

Oingo

Yeah, but I bought a new mac (desktop) a few months before I decided to apply to law school and realized I would need a laptop.  So I just bought something simple and cheap :)  I think it should work out though.  Plus, fewer distractions in class from a pad of paper than a computer with games, chatting, and the whole world of internet.  Also, after quitting my job I'm looking forward to spending fewer hours of my day staring at a glowing screen.

« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2006, 11:46:04 AM »
I just started law school this week.  I'd say that about 50% of the students brought their laptops with them, but only around 25% (maybe less) used them to take notes.  One student asked if laptops were required and the prof said that they were not, but that they might be a good idea.  From what I could tell from the back of the room most people just used bullets in Word.  One other guy and myself used OneNote.  I really liked using OneNote, but the gist of my story is that I think it's all a matter of personal preference. 

I also echo Oingo's comment about tablet pcs for those of you who like to diagram.  One guy in class actually took all of his notes through his tablet.

Hope that helps :)

monet

« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2006, 12:05:13 PM »
I am really considering a macbook too... just because there are no PC notebooks out there that have all the features I want at a comparable price. The closest I can find is Dell XPS1210 but it is much too thick/ugly. Stupid I know but if I'm putting a grand down for something I have to like it.

I'll definately be getting the macbook once I am certain it will support exam software. Question... can you copy documents (such as the note taking ones) from the mac to a windows machine to print it?

sck

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2006, 12:09:53 PM »
I am really considering a macbook too... just because there are no PC notebooks out there that have all the features I want at a comparable price. The closest I can find is Dell XPS1210 but it is much too thick/ugly. Stupid I know but if I'm putting a grand down for something I have to like it.

I'll definately be getting the macbook once I am certain it will support exam software. Question... can you copy documents (such as the note taking ones) from the mac to a windows machine to print it?

Absolutely.

A word file is a word file is a word file.

At home, I have a little mini-network set up between my Mac and PC. I can open files from the PC on the Mac so long as I have the program on each computer.

Jolie Was Here

• 3L. Meh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2006, 12:12:47 PM »
The software I was talking about (OmniOutliner and OmniGraffle) is Mac-only.  But I'm pretty sure that you can save those documents in rich text format, which could then be transferred to a PC.  Hmmm, I'll have to double-check that.  Anything done in a regular word processor can be opened in either. 

That maclawstudents.com website has a section on exam software.  Erik's been doing a great job of contacting each company to inquire about their policy with the new generation Macs.  Most of them are still in testing.  The company that makes EBB (Electronic BlueBook) has already certified the software for use on the dual-boot machines (which is probably why Michigan made their Mac announcement...they use EBB.) 

Either way, you should probably ask your school's IT dept. whether they'll have a policy on the new Macs.  If they're booted as PCs, it shouldn't matter.  But who said that logic always prevails? ;)

OingoBoingo

• Simply the best band from the 80's
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2006, 02:03:46 PM »

For the most part the exam software question has been answered in the positive at most schools or soon will be. Enjoy that Macbook when you get it and make sure to buy the Applecare warranty - I think it is crazy to purchase a laptop for LS and skip the extra warranty coverage.

Oingo

monet

« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2006, 02:23:25 PM »
woohoo! I just found out that my law school doesn't use any exam software. I guess any typing software + printer will work. YAY I'M GETTING A MAC!

This is a little scary since I've only played around on a mac before and the no right click thing has annoyed me to no end. However I think 1 month of two finger scrolling and the trick where you can view all your windows will help me get over that. What other cool features are there?

Are there any other student deals at Apple besides the free nano? I've heard you can get 10% off... is that replaced by the nano offer? Or can I choose either or.

Sorry that I'm turning this into a mac thread  :-X