Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Um...about those computer thingies...  (Read 4233 times)

Quintana

• View Profile
Um...about those computer thingies...
« on: June 21, 2006, 12:21:01 PM »
  I have this mental picture of me showing up to the first day of class and whipping out my trusty pen and notebook while other students look on with bemused contempt.  I'm not exactly computer illiterate, but when I was in undergrad nobody even had cell phones, much less laptops.  Is taking notes in class the old-fashioned way a thing of the past?  I'm starting to think maybe my Trapper Keeper isn't so cool after all :-[
Attending Brooklyn Law School

Jolie Was Here

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3L. Meh.
    • View Profile
    • LSN
Re: Um...about those computer thingies...
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2006, 12:29:26 PM »
I'm a non-L at this point, so take my advice for what it's worth (which could possibly be nothing!):

I think that there are definite advantages to using a computer in school (utility, clarity, legibility, ability to quickly back up info, etc.)  But I think that these advantages will only take you as far as your comfort level with computers.  My opinion -- if staying non-digital will keep you saner, then by all means embrace that Trapper Keeper!  As long as your school doesn't require a laptop, buck the trend. 

I was referring to your intellectual penis. Which is quite robust.

Jolie is creeping up on me. 

sck

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2006, 12:32:02 PM »
Computers are more the norm, but some profs have started banning computers in the classroom, too. So it might depend. You will probably need a computer for exams, so you definitely need one... But there's nothing wrong with hand-written notes, just you'd probably have to transcribe everything later. Personally, I favor legal pads for notes -- I used them exclusively in grad school, and I used spirals in college.

I type faster than I can write, so I would definitely use my computer for note-taking. I just hate having to transcribe and I would rather be able to organize everything on the computer for faster access.
LSN
Nontrad, with a crazy split

Quintana

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2006, 12:55:39 PM »
Computers are more the norm, but some profs have started banning computers in the classroom, too. So it might depend. You will probably need a computer for exams, so you definitely need one... But there's nothing wrong with hand-written notes, just you'd probably have to transcribe everything later. Personally, I favor legal pads for notes -- I used them exclusively in grad school, and I used spirals in college.

I type faster than I can write, so I would definitely use my computer for note-taking. I just hate having to transcribe and I would rather be able to organize everything on the computer for faster access.

Thanks.  I have a laptop but I've never used it for note-taking, and as Jolie said, I think my comfort level is priority.  I also think transcribing actually helps me retain and process information. 

Why are they necessary for exams? 
Attending Brooklyn Law School

Jolie Was Here

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3L. Meh.
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2006, 12:59:56 PM »
Why are they necessary for exams? 

They're not, unless your school mandates that you take your exams on computer.  I think that most schools still offer the option of paper-based exams, and I'm betting that a fair number still opt this way.

terralily

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2006, 01:05:27 PM »
I've never taken class notes on a computer, and I am going to try, but a little voice in the back of my head is wonder if I'll probably end up handwritting notes since my typing isn't 100%.  I wholeheartedly agree with the idea that transcription helps you retain info.  At least it does for me too.
Windy City here I come....DePaul it is!!!

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=terralily

phooey

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2006, 01:20:40 PM »

How do people take notes on a computer?  Do they just type away in a Word document?  Do they use that OneNote software?  Seems like either way, you're going to have to go back later and organize what you've written.

Jolie Was Here

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3L. Meh.
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2006, 01:41:42 PM »
Actually, this is one of the reasons why I love being a Mac user.  There's a program bundle (OmniOutliner and OmniGraffle) that allows you to create beautiful, effortless and highly functional outlines as you go.  You can draw great complex diagrams if you're a geek (as am I) who likes to analyze relationships in material.  And it interfaces with everything else on your computer, so you can create action reminders for yourself and, and...

Sorry.  I'm such a starry-eyed loser about this stuff.  Comes from being a latter-day Mac convert.  I used to roll my eyes at the Apple cultites too. 

But I'm sure that everyone just works by trial and error until they come up with a system that works. 

sck

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2006, 01:56:16 PM »
Hee. I love my Mac. I really really want a one of the new laptops, but I'm wary of necessary software running on it for law school. I know some of the required exam software isn't compatible. But now, of course, I can dual boot....

For me, it'll be better to do things on the computer, I think, although I definitely love the ability to draw and make note of things when taking notes by hand -- I write all over things, leave space, draw arrows..... My problem is, my handwriting is atrocious. I'd be afraid of not being able to read things, especially with my abbreviations.

The main problem with typing, I think, is getting into the habit of doing straight transcription rather than actually listening and taking thoughtful notes. Some people just data dump and don't listen actively and try to absorb. (Although this is true of handwritten notes as well.)
LSN
Nontrad, with a crazy split

mobo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2006, 02:56:43 PM »
i am so glad that someone asked this question, because i am in the same boat, there were no cell phones or laptops (and hardly any personal computers) when i was in college. and i was wondering about how i was going to take notes too, especially since i have no idea if typing something will make it stick in my head the way that writing does.

that said, from everything i have read about how 1L classes go, the work is in the thinking and identifying of issues, not so much in the material retention. so i don't think, for me, it will make that much of a difference if i type or write. besides, i have a hunch that i type way way faster, and more legbiely (;)) than i write.

besides, taking typing lessons on an electric ibm back in high school has paid off in ways i never expected. i can't tell you how amazed i am at the number of 20 somethings i have seen who do a combination of two-five fingered huntnpeck. are typing classes no longer a norm? do they use typing software these days, or are people just left to acquire the skill on their own?