Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Diversity Statement?  (Read 472 times)

LawJedi

• Sr. Citizen
  • I've got a bad feeling about this
    • View Profile
Diversity Statement?
« on: June 21, 2006, 11:50:08 AM »
I'm not an URM -- but I've had some experiences in my life that I think might warrant a diversity statement. I had a family member in prison who i visited frequently as a kid. Also, my sister has a form of autism... I was thinking the former not the latter if I were to do one.

Thoughts? I'd rather not include these two in my PS as I've got an experience (Hurricane Katrina-related) that I'm going to use.

juliemccoy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Treat??
    • View Profile
Re: Diversity Statement?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2006, 02:14:41 PM »
Katrina is likely to be very overdone in this cycle. Why not go for something really unique about you? I think either topic is great for a diversity statement or a PS.
Vanderbilt 2010

LawJedi

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2006, 03:32:42 PM »
You think so? I'm actually from the area, though, and was working in New Orleans three days after.

juliemccoy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Treat??
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2006, 04:00:27 PM »
But so were a lot of other people. This year will be rife with applications talking about their experience living in New Orleans, surviving Katrina, the 1000s of volunteers who gave up Spring Break to help clean up, etc... It's completely up to you. But think about 9/11. You definitely saw a lot of apps in that cycle talking about how 9/11 affected them, whether or not they lived in NYC.
Vanderbilt 2010

LawJedi

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2006, 04:09:47 PM »
Hmm... I guess I question whether those people had the same experiences I did.

I'll keep that in mind.

BigRig

• Sr. Citizen
  • Detroit Basketball!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - BTRig12
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2006, 04:29:41 PM »
I don't mean to burst your bubble or come across as cynical, but the reality is that your Diversity Statement will likely not even be read (as you are not an URM). There are far too many applications for Adcomms to go through and they really only care about diversity as it pertains to shaping statistics they can report to the ABA/LSAC/US News/etc. By and large, their interest in the matter is solely for political/business reasons; none of which will benefit from your story.

I say this because I wasted far too much time putting effort into extra essays/statements (I wrote a Diversity Statement as an non-URM too) when people who'd been through it before plainly said "All that matters is your LSAT." This is largely true, of course, weighting GPA and strength of undergrad curriculum/school too.

If it makes you happy or feel as though you will not have put your best foot forward, then do it for peace of mind. Even if they read it, they will not care in your case (sorry). Extra essays and/or effort of the kind will go further once you've been accepted and are negotiating for any scholarships, aid, etc. so that you'll attend their school vs. another.
Attending FSU.Go Noles!!!

madison07

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2006, 10:37:40 PM »
BigRig, I was just wondering how you found out that your diversity statement wasn't read?

johnnydavis

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2006, 11:50:54 PM »
doesn't hurt to submit one, unless it's poorly written.  but as someone already mentioned, think twice about whether you can truly contribute to the school's diversity.