Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Native New Yorkers: Columbia vs. NYU Review Anyone?  (Read 4987 times)

Doraemon

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Native New Yorkers: Columbia vs. NYU Review Anyone?
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2006, 06:57:57 PM »

BoscoBreaux

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2006, 11:16:28 PM »
Hi All,

I love the concept of living in New York and going to Law school.  Was just wondering if someone out there who was in contention for these two schools could give me a run-down of the pros and cons of each.  Some things to consider would be:

1.  The safety and personality of each school's location
2.  The rigor and reputation of the two schools relative to one another
3.  The reputation each school has among native NYers in the area
4.  The cost of attendance in each area/living expenses
5.  The student body- helpful or snooty?

just a note about NYU--at times going there feels like you are at a real estate development company, instead of a university. In many respects, it doesn't feel like you are a part of anything at all when you go there. In some respects, you are made to feel like you are but an irrelevant speck annoying anyone affiliated with the school who are awaiting the next big building purchase or major renovation. When I called to get a transcript, I literally had someone tell me they weren't going to bother to fix an error on it, and if i didn't like it, "tough".

I don't know if such things go on at Columbia, but I doubt it.

bboyspekz

• Sr. Citizen
  • Yes, that is me in Union Sq, NYC
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2006, 07:34:01 PM »
I've lived in NYC my whole life...
Columbia environment is much more pleasant/relaxed feel
NYU: more spread out gritty city area, however much more active part of the city with a little more convenience. (To an outsider however convenience is about equal).

BOTH SCHOOLS: Students overall think they are better than everyone else in the world....snooty, pretentious, u name it..
Of course not all, but there are a good amount that fit this mold.
I have friends that go to both for UG and they see it.
Pompous losers from out of state without a NY accent do get put into line from time to time. lol.
Either way if you don't act like your better than anyone and your social than you will be fine.
As far as name is concerned Columbia is better no matter what rankings say!!
And yes I know plenty of lawyers in this great city that can vouch.
LOL  Hope I was of help  ;)

thorc954

« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2006, 09:54:39 PM »
Hi All,

I love the concept of living in New York and going to Law school.  Was just wondering if someone out there who was in contention for these two schools could give me a run-down of the pros and cons of each.  Some things to consider would be:

1.  The safety and personality of each school's location
2.  The rigor and reputation of the two schools relative to one another
3.  The reputation each school has among native NYers in the area
4.  The cost of attendance in each area/living expenses
5.  The student body- helpful or snooty?

I have heard horror stories about Columbia's law school. the students are overly competetive and will go to the extent of throwing away notebooks and ripping pages from books to prevent others from doing well.  NYU's undergrad is really chill from my experience. A lot of sexual minorities and a lot of pot heads. This may not be the same at the law school.

SouthSide

• Sr. Citizen
  • Full speed ahead.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2006, 07:39:27 AM »
I have heard horror stories about Columbia's law school. the students are overly competetive and will go to the extent of throwing away notebooks and ripping pages from books to prevent others from doing well.  

That's a common urban legend about law schools. I've heard it about Harvard too. I've never known anyone whose actually seen anything like this being done.
Columbia 2L.

Lily Jaye

• Sr. Citizen
  • A Schizophrenic Veronica
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2006, 08:57:10 AM »
I have heard horror stories about Columbia's law school. the students are overly competetive and will go to the extent of throwing away notebooks and ripping pages from books to prevent others from doing well.  

That's a common urban legend about law schools. I've heard it about Harvard too. I've never known anyone whose actually seen anything like this being done.

That's why you ask the librarians and people who went to law school there.  Evidently there was a kernel of truth to the statement 30 years ago, but not so much today.  (Although part of that may be the fact that virtually everything's online.  However, that's probably not the entire answer.)

From what I've seen, however, there is a subtle difference in vibe between the student bodies.  Some people could describe CLS as more "competitive," although I think different terms capture it more accurately.
Random 2L who does not spend nearly as much time here as she should.

SouthSide

• Sr. Citizen
  • Full speed ahead.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2006, 09:30:47 AM »

From what I've seen, however, there is a subtle difference in vibe between the student bodies.  Some people could describe CLS as more "competitive," although I think different terms capture it more accurately.

I think the most accurate term would be "better."

Columbia 2L.

Resident CLS Troll

« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2006, 09:39:39 AM »

how very true.

Steve.jd

• LSD Obsessed
  • I'm edumacated now, still not photogenic though
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2006, 02:14:47 PM »

how very true.

::) :P :o
HLS '09

Lily Jaye

• Sr. Citizen
  • A Schizophrenic Veronica
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2006, 02:58:57 PM »

If by "better" you mean "snobbier," then yes.  :P
Random 2L who does not spend nearly as much time here as she should.