Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Native New Yorkers: Columbia vs. NYU Review Anyone?  (Read 4935 times)

paigeroo

Native New Yorkers: Columbia vs. NYU Review Anyone?
« on: June 21, 2006, 08:49:50 AM »
Hi All,

I love the concept of living in New York and going to Law school.  Was just wondering if someone out there who was in contention for these two schools could give me a run-down of the pros and cons of each.  Some things to consider would be:

1.  The safety and personality of each school's location
2.  The rigor and reputation of the two schools relative to one another
3.  The reputation each school has among native NYers in the area
4.  The cost of attendance in each area/living expenses
5.  The student body- helpful or snooty?

Lily Jaye

• Sr. Citizen
  • A Schizophrenic Veronica
    • View Profile
Re: Native New Yorkers: Columbia vs. NYU Review Anyone?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2006, 09:45:23 AM »
In addition to what Stan said...

Hi All,

I love the concept of living in New York and going to Law school.  Was just wondering if someone out there who was in contention for these two schools could give me a run-down of the pros and cons of each.  Some things to consider would be:

NYU does not have a traditional campus feel; Columbia does. 

At this point, there's a negligable difference unless you want to do something specific.

I'm not sure this is a relevant question.  Unless you want to go into politics, the people you should be worried about are lawyers.  (Remember, being a solo practitioner is the bottom of the legal barrel for a reason.)

Columbia's better.  However, both are still New York schools, and I can't shake the suspicion that both are radically deflating their COL allowances.  When you compare scholarship offers, it's very, very important to keep that in mind.  You would need roughly 75k at either school to match a 54k scholarship at Michigan.

I'm not sure if this is the best way to look at it.  It's probably better to think in terms of "do I like the students' vibe."

FWIW, Columbia gave me flashbacks to my UG, which is why I withdrew early on.  I also realized pretty quickly that I had nothing in common with the girls at NYU. The guys there were pretty cool, though. 
Random 2L who does not spend nearly as much time here as she should.

Lily Jaye

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2006, 09:49:03 AM »
but you know fun people in next year's 1L class, right?  ;)

I do believe "duh" is the correct answer. ;)

Lily Jaye

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2006, 10:01:57 AM »
Aww, thanks :)

Off to work I go.  ttfn :)

paigeroo

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2006, 03:06:22 PM »
Thank you guys.  Can you give me any idea as far as monthly rent goes for a 1 bdrm in the two different areas? 

Also, why doesn't NYU have a traditional campus feel vs. Columbia as someone mentioned?

Stanley thanks!  Would 'preciate the friendly Columbia students being sent my way =)

Lily Jaye

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2006, 03:24:56 PM »
Thank you guys.  Can you give me any idea as far as monthly rent goes for a 1 bdrm in the two different areas? 

Er, I'm going to defer to Swats on that one. ;)

FWIW, the NYU students I spoke with at the ASW said that most of them just live on campus for as long as possible.  If they're forced to move off, they tend to move to Brooklyn and less expensive, outer neighborhoods.

Also, why doesn't NYU have a traditional campus feel vs. Columbia as someone mentioned?

Because it's just a bunch of buildings in the city surrounded by tons of non-University buildings and businesses.  (Incidentially, my family's one business is a few blocks away.)  Yes, Washington Square is there, but it's a run-of-the-mill small city park. 

Columbia, on the other hand, has trees and lawns encompassing its buildings like a normal college. 

weddingcrasher

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2006, 04:20:22 PM »
Hi All,

1 NYU wins
2/3 Columbia is losing its lead very very quickly, much more buzz about NYU
4 Negligible
5 NYU has more hippies

Lily Jaye

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2006, 01:06:20 AM »
Hi All,

1 NYU wins
2/3 Columbia is losing its lead very very quickly, much more buzz about NYU
4 Negligible
5 NYU has more hippies

For the record, there is a BIG difference between hippies and aging punk/intellectual liberal hipsters.

Well, at least there is to those of us on the liberal hipster side of the fence. ;)

Steve.jd

• LSD Obsessed
  • I'm edumacated now, still not photogenic though
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2006, 01:23:52 AM »

The rent for both is fairly obscene.  For NYU, the rent on a bedroom in a 3 person suite ranged from 1100 to 1600 a month depending on building and floor (small bedrooms).

CLS was better since they're buildings are subsidized - rent on a studio apartment (with kitchen and bath) in a new building ranged from 1200 to 1400.  Older buildings were a few hundred dollars a month cheaper.
HLS '09

SouthSide

• Sr. Citizen
  • Full speed ahead.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2006, 02:48:05 AM »
Hi All,

Here are my thoughts:

1. Very different personalitites. As many people have commented, Columbia feels much more like a college campus. There is an actual quad surrounded by college-looking buildings, and you are very close to Riverside Park, which is a great place to run, bike, etc. NYU is just a bunch of buildings scattered across a few city blocks. That being said, the area around NYU has more cool bars, nightlife, etc. Safety is virtually identical in both neighborhoods.

2. Reputationally, the two are virtually identical in the legal field, with a hair-thin advantage to Columbia. Outside the legal profession, however, Columbia has a definite advantage. Also, Columbia is more well-known internationally. In terms of rigor, I definitely got the sense that Columbia is slightly more rigorous and the students are more intellectually serious.

3. About the same, and largely irrelevant.

4. Columbia is significantly cheaper in terms of cost of living. It's possible to get a one bedroom apartment for well under $1500 (I've seen nice places in the $1200 range) and a room in a two or three bedroom apartment for well under $1000 (A friend of mine was in a Columbia three bedroom for $700 a month). At NYU, you will get a much smaller one bedroom apartment or studio, and you won't find it for less than $2000, and that's being optimistic. For a small room in an apartment, you'll probably spend at least $1500. Many more NYU students end up not living in the school's area due to the high cost of living.

5. The student bodies are much more similar than they are different, so any differences tend to get exaggerated. Keep that in mind when you hear generalizations thrown around about the two schools. That being said, Columbia is generally thought to be more business-oriented and less public interest-oriented. Also, it is thought to be more academic, while NYU is thought to be more party/clubbing/etc.

Columbia 2L.