Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: part time or full time  (Read 1076 times)

lsacko

• View Profile
    • Email
part time or full time
« on: June 21, 2006, 01:58:57 AM »
Ive gotten into some schools as full time and some as part time.  I am set on attending as part time because the school ive gotten into as part time is a better school.  I wanted to see if there were any disadvantages to being part time that could change my mind.  I realize it takes a year longer, i dont mind that. Anything else would help though, thanks.

cultural_vacuum

Re: part time or full time
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2006, 12:14:54 PM »
Do a search for more info on part-time.

Personally, I think the minor downsides are no big deal if it means going to a better school.

What schools are you considering?

latinlord

• Sr. Citizen
  • ME... Litigating at the Indiana State Court house!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - latinlord
    • View Profile
    • myspace profile, "come and say hello"
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2006, 12:30:29 PM »
Ive gotten into some schools as full time and some as part time.  I am set on attending as part time because the school ive gotten into as part time is a better school.  I wanted to see if there were any disadvantages to being part time that could change my mind.  I realize it takes a year longer, i dont mind that. Anything else would help though, thanks.

Hey first offf Congrats!! What school are you considering for part time?? My choice was easy. I am currently in a summer start up program for the school I got accepted into for part time. The difference in rank is rediculous. I went from a Tier 4 or provisional school to a high Tier 2. Plus i'm after one year, you can change over to fulltime if you want and still graduate in 3 years. Plus my school was nice enough to put me on the full time wait list, but to tell you the truth, part time now seems more appealing. Do a search this topic has come up a lot here is a link from one guy who knows a lot about it and helped me when I was faced with the same decision. The benifits of parttime far out weigh the restraints. For one, you actually get to have a life, haha. Check out this link http://www.lawschooldiscussion.org/prelaw/index.php/topic,47645.msg1079417.html#msg1079417 there is another link, let me see if i can find that one also. Take care and good luck
Graduated from Indiana Law - Indianapolis!!
Was a 3rd year Visiting Student at Villanova University School of Law.
Graduated from Temple University Beasley School of Law - LL.M in Trial Advocacy Candidate 2010
 Published by Chicano/Latino Law Review of UCLA LAW. & I'm a Licensed Esq. NOW!

LawJedi

• Sr. Citizen
  • I've got a bad feeling about this
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2006, 12:59:27 PM »
Is it easier to get into PT programs at better schools? I suspected it was but wasn't 100%.

I'd say go with the best school you can get into.

revelareveritas

• Sr. Citizen
  • Something strange is afoot at the Circle K...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2006, 01:04:20 PM »
Full-time... That way u get $$$
"It's not whether Iran likes carrots," he said. "Iran likes carrots. Iran demands carrots! If there is to be a solution in Iran, carrots must be part of the solution! We don't expect others to cook carrots for us then present them and then tell us, 'Eat them or else.' We can cook our own carrots!"

TheJesus

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2006, 01:18:25 PM »
I think the biggest downside is that your degree will read:

Be it known that STUDENT'S NAME, having completed the course of study as prescribed by the Faculty and Board of Trustees, and having complied with all other requirements of the University is awarded the degree of:

Juris Doctor
(Except he/she attened school part-time, so feel free to make of that what you will)

latinlord

• Sr. Citizen
  • ME... Litigating at the Indiana State Court house!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - latinlord
    • View Profile
    • myspace profile, "come and say hello"
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2006, 10:12:59 PM »
I think the biggest downside is that your degree will read:

Be it known that STUDENT'S NAME, having completed the course of study as prescribed by the Faculty and Board of Trustees, and having complied with all other requirements of the University is awarded the degree of:

Juris Doctor
(Except he/she attened school part-time, so feel free to make of that what you will)

Yea ok that was a stupid quote!... But anyway...., it doesn't matter b/c going to a better school parttime is a lot better. And yes it can be easier to get into some part time programs before full time. I'v heard that my program is the same, but I still don't think i believe that b/c parttime stats are different than full time stats. I guess though it is just a coincidence.  And of course if you are worried about what employers may think (even though most won't care and some will actually like that you can organize your time by working and still doing law school) then by all means switch the next year to full time. I plan on switching not for that reason but because i can still graduate in 3 years, but as i said earlier I am still not 100% sure. Right now i'm just enjoying going to class and learning the law.
Graduated from Indiana Law - Indianapolis!!
Was a 3rd year Visiting Student at Villanova University School of Law.
Graduated from Temple University Beasley School of Law - LL.M in Trial Advocacy Candidate 2010
 Published by Chicano/Latino Law Review of UCLA LAW. & I'm a Licensed Esq. NOW!

lsacko

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2006, 05:12:33 AM »
Thanks for all the replies, i actually wanted to know if it said part time on the degree.  The schools im considering btw are western, chapman, or pacific pt, san fran pt.  Its tier four or low tier two. I gotta give it some thought, but part time doesnt sound so bad.  Oh, and does anyone know about transferring from part time?  Might as well think about everything.  Thank everyone in advance

TheJesus

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2006, 09:29:45 AM »
Thanks for all the replies, i actually wanted to know if it said part time on the degree.  The schools im considering btw are western, chapman, or pacific pt, san fran pt.  Its tier four or low tier two. I gotta give it some thought, but part time doesnt sound so bad.  Oh, and does anyone know about transferring from part time?  Might as well think about everything.  Thank everyone in advance

lol, no, it doesn't say Part-time on the degree...I was just being a smart ass...

I'm actually a Part-time student too, and when I go to apply for a job, I'll make sure to let my interviewers know...it's much more difficult to have a career/job working 40 hours a week going to LS part-time and paying your way through than it is to be a full-time who only has to go to class 15 hours a week...anyone who says otherwise is kidding themselves

Erapitt

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2006, 09:43:45 AM »
But for the rankings of the schools the OP is considering it isn't necessarily more beneficial to go PT unless it is for strictly financial reasons.

Tier II and Tier III are going to be regional regardless.  Go where you want to work.
Attending GW in Fall '06