Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Does this mean the Iraqi Government is Failing?  (Read 793 times)

jgruber

Does this mean the Iraqi Government is Failing?
« on: August 14, 2004, 10:10:51 PM »
Talks collapse in Iraqi holy city
Mehdi Army gunmen rest inside the Imam Ali shrine in Najaf
Heavily armed gunmen control the centre of Najaf
Talks to disarm militants in the Shia Iraqi holy city of Najaf have broken down, the Iraqi government negotiator has announced.

Mouwaffaq al-Rubaie said he was going to leave the city, where fighters loyal to radical cleric Moqtada Sadr have been resisting US-led forces.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/3565200.stm

Section Eight

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Does this mean the Iraqi Government is Failing?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2004, 09:31:39 PM »
Does this mean the Iraqi Government is Failing?

I don't think so.  To be honest, I have high hopes for the Iraqi government, but I believe it is way too early in a still very volatile area to make a claim that the government is failing.

jgruber

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2004, 09:37:03 PM »
Does it mean they are struggling, need to change what they're doing or does it mean they are working through the process and this is to be expected?

Section Eight

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2004, 09:44:41 PM »
Considering what that country has gone through over the last century, I see it as to be expected.  I believe that it will take a long rough period of time to convert that nation over to a fully democratic society.  You have to remember that other than us and England, nobody wants to help them at all.

jgruber

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2004, 09:47:26 PM »
Considering what that country has gone through over the last century, I see it as to be expected.  I believe that it will take a long rough period of time to convert that nation over to a fully democratic society.  You have to remember that other than us and England, nobody wants to help them at all.

I think there are a great number of countries who want to help.  The US and the UK are the ones who wanted to do it through war.

But you're right it will be a long hard road.

Bisquick

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2004, 10:19:46 PM »
I think there is no negotiating with some fundamentalists, so I don't see that as a failure.  We obviously can't negotiate with UBL/OBL.

The only reason they are in charge of that city is that we are still attempting to fight a relatively sterile war (yes I know no war is sterile).  We don't want to inflict more civilian casualties than we have to and we don't want to invade the holy site.  That is a good thing, but I don't think you should give the militants too much credit.  Militarily, they did the stupidest thing they could by clumping in one spot.  They should have stayed in guerilla(sp?) bands.
3.8/155

jgruber

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2004, 09:41:54 AM »
Saying there is no negotiating with these people may or may not be valid.

There can be a number of reasons why negotiating won't work.  Some absolve us of responsiblity and some don't.

I think there is no negotiating with some fundamentalists, so I don't see that as a failure.  We obviously can't negotiate with UBL/OBL.

The only reason they are in charge of that city is that we are still attempting to fight a relatively sterile war (yes I know no war is sterile).  We don't want to inflict more civilian casualties than we have to and we don't want to invade the holy site.  That is a good thing, but I don't think you should give the militants too much credit.  Militarily, they did the stupidest thing they could by clumping in one spot.  They should have stayed in guerilla(sp?) bands.