Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Need some sound advice out here  (Read 1892 times)

louisvillegrad

• View Profile
Need some sound advice out here
« on: February 04, 2004, 01:43:49 PM »
Hello,
I recently graduated in December with a bachelors in Engineering and would like to go to Law school starting Fall 2005.My undergrad GPA is 3.75, and my school is not well ranked, however its engineering program is reputable in the Midwest. What strategy do I need to adopt to get into the top 10 (Like Yale, Harvard) or at least top 20 Law schools? I would like to move to the Northeast as I enjoy its cultural aspects( of course the cold weather sux . What kind of LSAT score would I need for those schools and what kind of work experience would I need to get to enhance my application? I worked my way through school at General Electric. Would experience with a Global corp help my chances especially since I am interested in International Law( I know many foreign languages)?

Ivy_Hopeful

• Sr. Citizen
  • Final UGPA 3.894 / LSAT 141
    • MSN Messenger - dduncan81@msn.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Dduncan81
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - Derryp999
    • View Profile
    • A website that I built and maintain.
Re: Need some sound advice out here
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2004, 02:21:26 PM »
In order to be moderately competitive (based on your UGPA of a hard science) you would most likely need to get in the low 170's (170-172) and if you wanted to be rather competitive then mid 170's (174-176)in you wanted to be highly competitive then 177+ (these are estimations)

As for work experience top 10 schools tend to look for  variety of succsseful jobs/carreers so much like the lack of emphasis on major while an undergrad (quasi-pre law student) the same is tru about experience (as long as you have viable employment with good reputation and experience of the field you are fine on that note)
Please note that:
A) There are exceptons to every rule AND
B) Top 10 LS's tend to look at ALL experiences not just the ones that ar spoon-fed to you by your pre-law advisor (if any)or other academic advisors during your UNDERGRAD!

Hope this helps,
IVY-Hopeful
(don't worry I am in the same boat as you except I haven't graduated undergrad yet, I have just done plenty of research on law school and prep.
Winners: Cooley w/$, UDM
Losers: MSU, DePaul, NYLS, UI, Georegtown, WSU, PSU, Kent, Cleavland State, ASU
In Limbo + Purgatory: N/A

Law School Numbers.com

LSD Debut UGPA 3.651 Final UGPA 3.894 / LSAT October 1st, 2005: 141