Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Warranty.  (Read 2227 times)

rajkp

Re: Warranty.
« Reply #30 on: June 21, 2006, 07:51:23 PM »
Default warranties have been 90 days for quite a few years.

One instance of a Dell catching fire should not compare to the many instances of Apple laptops catching fire (http://www.gizmodo.com/gadgets/laptops/ibook-in-flames-film-at-11-177941.php). Nor does it compare to the many instances of Apple laptops overheating and burning the user. Oh wait, that's right...Apple calls them notebooks now.

Do a Yahoo search (not Google unless you like spam results) on laptop and fire. You'll find that the batteries (which are not made by Dell or Apple) are always at fault. If the laptop overheats, the battery could overheat, resulting in smoke or even fire. Apple's laptop designs tend to overheat more than any other brand (one of the reasons for their low quality) b/c they're designed to look good, not to function well. They're very quiet, but it comes at the cost of the laptop become dangerously hot.

eclecticodoode

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 22, 2006, 02:50:31 AM »
Do you guys think it is worth it to get the 3 year warranty with accidental protection and onsite support? Or is the 3 year warranty enough? I'm considering the Sony Vaio SZ 13 inch laptop but am hesitant b/c of the suspect customer support.

rajkp

« Reply #32 on: June 22, 2006, 10:14:42 AM »
No matter what, don't get a Sony unless you have no other choice. Sony does not make quality computer products.

The 3 year onsite/accidental protection warranty is good if you plan to use your laptop a lot, ie, carry it around everywhere, use it everyday, or take it to places that aren't very safe for laptops, like airports scanners. If you use the laptop as a desktop replacement and leave it on a desk, the 3 year warranty is usually enough.

totally stoked

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: June 22, 2006, 05:19:25 PM »
Dude - I totally upgraded my warranty today!  I found out that it already came w/ a "if our *&^% sucks, we'll fix it for the next three years" warranty.  Now I have that "if you @#!* your *&^% up, we'll fix it for the next four years" warranty.

OingoBoingo

• Sr. Citizen
  • Simply the best band from the 80's
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 22, 2006, 09:56:00 PM »
Default warranties have been 90 days for quite a few years.

One instance of a Dell catching fire should not compare to the many instances of Apple laptops catching fire (http://www.gizmodo.com/gadgets/laptops/ibook-in-flames-film-at-11-177941.php). Nor does it compare to the many instances of Apple laptops overheating and burning the user. Oh wait, that's right...Apple calls them notebooks now.

Do a Yahoo search (not Google unless you like spam results) on laptop and fire. You'll find that the batteries (which are not made by Dell or Apple) are always at fault. If the laptop overheats, the battery could overheat, resulting in smoke or even fire. Apple's laptop designs tend to overheat more than any other brand (one of the reasons for their low quality) b/c they're designed to look good, not to function well. They're very quiet, but it comes at the cost of the laptop become dangerously hot.

Wild absolutely wild video. Where the heck is Officer Farva and AZWildcat - we need to argue about this!

Oingo
"It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man."

slacker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 22, 2006, 10:17:25 PM »
Wild absolutely wild video. Where the heck is Officer Farva and AZWildcat - we need to argue about this!

Oingo
I'm neither of those people, but I'll argue with you because I'm bored and things are too quiet on the student board.

Which side am I?

rajkp

« Reply #36 on: June 22, 2006, 10:19:29 PM »
Just another instance of typical Apple shoddiness:
http://apple.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=06/06/22/1828232 (includes link to original article).

Batteries are still overheating due to faulty airflow design in the laptops. It seems that Apple has discovered why most other manufacturers include lots of vents and fans.

slacker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 22, 2006, 10:35:42 PM »
So, if I grasp the plain meaning of your words, looking cool is not the same as keeping cool.

queencruella

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 22, 2006, 11:19:13 PM »
I really don't think an extended warranty is worth it unless it includes accidental drop/damage protection. Last time I looked, companies wouldn't even cover computers bought in Florida, so I have always gotten the basic warranty. 

As for Sony being reliable, the last data I read in Consumer Reports suggests that Sony is now the most reliable but has crap customer service so if it breaks, it won't be that easy to fix.

Perversely

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 22, 2006, 11:39:24 PM »
What do you guys/gals think about computer warranty?  I thought getting a long warranty would be smart, but I'm starting to reconsider.  I take good care of my computer and understand how to keep it running clean, so I'm thinking about just getting a 1 or 2 year to save money.

it would depend on how long of a warranty you're talking about...if length is something to consider, then maybe i should get one that's about 6 feet long. it will probably take me a year to read it. :D