Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Warranty.  (Read 2272 times)

whoisjohngalt

• Sr. Citizen
  • "I go to Cornell... ever heard of it?"
    • View Profile
Warranty.
« on: June 20, 2006, 02:48:24 PM »
What do you guys/gals think about computer warranty?  I thought getting a long warranty would be smart, but I'm starting to reconsider.  I take good care of my computer and understand how to keep it running clean, so I'm thinking about just getting a 1 or 2 year to save money.

totally stoked

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Warranty.
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2006, 03:16:24 PM »
Dude - I so did not get the warranty.  I figure it's new, it's tough, it should make it.  Plus - it might cost less to pay to fix whatever problems it might have than to pay for some warranty.

I mean - come on...it's a dell!

OingoBoingo

• Sr. Citizen
  • Simply the best band from the 80's
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2006, 03:18:30 PM »
Dude - I so did not get the warranty. I figure it's new, it's tough, it should make it. Plus - it might cost less to pay to fix whatever problems it might have than to pay for some warranty.

Famous last words.

Get the warranty. You'll thank me later.

Oingo
"It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man."

totally stoked

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2006, 03:19:37 PM »
Dude - I so did not get the warranty. I figure it's new, it's tough, it should make it. Plus - it might cost less to pay to fix whatever problems it might have than to pay for some warranty.

Famous last words.

Get the warranty. You'll thank me later.

Oingo

*&^%!  For real?  Dude - it's too late.  :(

Yeah!

tacojohn

• Sr. Citizen
  • "I voted. P. Diddy told us to vote"
    • ICQ Messenger - 176834534
    • MSN Messenger - tacojohniu@msn.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - TacoJohnIU
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - tacojohniu@yahoo.com
    • View Profile
    • Fearfully Optimistic
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2006, 04:19:41 PM »
Dude - I so did not get the warranty.  I figure it's new, it's tough, it should make it.  Plus - it might cost less to pay to fix whatever problems it might have than to pay for some warranty.

There are very few computer problems that you will have to send the laptop out for, and which will cost less than the service plan/extended warranty.  If it's cheaper than the service plan, it will probably be something you can fix yourself and wouldn't be worth sending out, even if it was free.

fainana

• Sr. Citizen
  • :)
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2006, 05:24:52 PM »
the warranty is completely worth it, but only if you get the longer one. Your computer will likely be fine for the first year, maybe even two, because its new. However, once it gets older, things start going wrong all at once- I had to send in my Gateway laptop three times in the third year, and it would have cost WAY more to not have a warranty. Don't take the risk.

wunder

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2006, 07:12:47 PM »
My husband got a three year warranty with his Gateway (he bought it through his law school).  He sent it back at least once a year for repairs, including the year he had to send it away during exams because the thing shut down on him.  He had it back in a day and a half and I believe they even covered shipping.  Don't skimp on this.

chevelle

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2006, 09:02:37 PM »
for Dell? Get the warranty.

slacker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2006, 09:17:10 PM »
Get a 3 year (length of school - 4 yrs if you're an evening student) warranty.

rajkp

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2006, 10:46:12 PM »
For every brand except Thinkpads, getting the extended warranty is an absolute must. Thinkpads can take lots of abuse before failing. Dells have the next most reliable laptops, followed by eMachines.

If you get a Sony or a Mac, you *will* be using your warranty every few weeks.

If possible, get the laptop through your school, since Dell has a program with many schools whereby they provide you a loaner or replacement laptop if yours goes kaput.