Law School Discussion

1L - Time for Sports?

1L - Time for Sports?
« on: June 19, 2006, 09:12:50 PM »
Posted this on the grad board, thought I'd seek some pre-law subjecture...

Do you think it would be possible to join the rowing team, which would require 3 days/week workouts from 5:00 to 7:30am... Three regattas in the fall, with the last one being early Nov. Exams start early Dec. at the law school. Each regatta requires leaving Fri. night and returning Sat. night.

Is this at all a feasible plan or should I just give up and plan on maybe an hour/day at the gym?

bruin

• View Profile
    • lsn profile
Re: 1L - Time for Sports?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2006, 10:05:48 PM »
It would be possible, I stress possible. It would be early enough in the day so not to directly interfere with classes or any concievable extra-curriculars, but you would really be regreting it later in the semester. I actually have a friend that did have an exercise schedule like that over tha past year, which seemed to work for her, of course the differnence being that no one relied on her, so if she had to skipp a day or 2, no big deal. There will be days where you just can't get up that early, and still be effective in class later in the day, and reading later.

rajkp

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2006, 10:27:06 PM »
From what I've heard, you should plan on the gym for 1L, but it would be feasible during 2L/3L.

tonic

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2006, 10:31:49 PM »
I don't know if you've gotten a response on the other board (I don't go over there yet), but a friend of mine who posts rowed during his 1L year. He managed to balance both and make the top of his class. Guess it depends on how well you juggle things.

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2006, 10:35:41 PM »
i plan on an early morning run before class but it will be nice knowing that if i want/need to sleep in, then the gym will still be there when i get home. on the flip side, however, if you think it will keep you in a routine then only you know yourself best. i do best with a routine, so running in the morning before work and lifting right after work has always worked for me in terms of keeping myself in a routine. my one concern would be the regattas; granted there are only three but you'll get little if anything done while you're gone and weekends can be a great time to catch up.

can i suggest joining a rowing club instead? i'm guessing there is still a commitment but if for some reason you absolutely can't do it it's probably less of a deal. i played university tennis my freshman year and it killed me and that was only undergrad--club/intermurals still let me play without the commitment. just a thought :)

and props to you for even HAVING that ambition!

Goodfella

• I get to live the rest of my life like a schnook
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2006, 11:45:37 PM »
The question you should be asking yourself is why would you want to spend time with the people on the crew team?

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2006, 11:57:13 PM »
The question you should be asking yourself is why would you want to spend time with the people on the crew team?

Granted its probably 97% ugrads... but it was more for the exercise aspects of it combined with the ability to participate competitively...

Unfortunately though, it seems that there are varied responses... I definitely see the perspective of being able to sleep in whenever need to, as I am much more of a late night person... so that aspect of rowing is loomingly unappealing.

Perhaps I shall check into if there are any clubs around that are not team oriented for 1L...