Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Most Competitive/Cut throat students  (Read 16199 times)

Jolie Was Here

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3L. Meh.
    • View Profile
    • LSN
Re: Most Competitive/Cut throat students
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2006, 05:01:15 PM »
That said, there's something about the legal profession that seems to act as a sure-fire magnet for severely Type-A assclowns.  Lord, let me avoid as many of them as possible!

Just hang out with me.  I'm sooo not a type-A personality.  I would tell you what type I am, but I don't know the names of any of the other types and looking them up sounds a little too much like effort for my liking.

Yeah I meant competitive/cut-throat like hiding books, telling peers wrong information on purpose, and all that crazy stuff....I did not mean competitive/cut-throat as in being driven, holding yourself to higher standard, etc. 

Just to clarify, it was the former that I've heard about Cornell.  The latter I hear about Chicago, specificially, but you would expect some of that everywhere.

Oh, I plan to hang out with you. 

Eek, if I was a dude you'd think you had a creepy stalker.  That did NOT come out the way I intended. 

I just mean that you seem like someone I'd dig.  Did you see my post earlier (I think it was on the UMich 1L Diaries thread) about how incredibly chill the soon-to-be Wolverine 1Ls strike me?  I swear to joe, that played a big part in my decision.  I am so not interested in studying with the vein-popping-out-of-the-forehead types for three years.
I was referring to your intellectual penis. Which is quite robust.

Jolie is creeping up on me. 

greengrl

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2006, 05:54:24 PM »
That said, there's something about the legal profession that seems to act as a sure-fire magnet for severely Type-A assclowns.  Lord, let me avoid as many of them as possible!

Just hang out with me.  I'm sooo not a type-A personality.  I would tell you what type I am, but I don't know the names of any of the other types and looking them up sounds a little too much like effort for my liking.

Yeah I meant competitive/cut-throat like hiding books, telling peers wrong information on purpose, and all that crazy stuff....I did not mean competitive/cut-throat as in being driven, holding yourself to higher standard, etc. 

Just to clarify, it was the former that I've heard about Cornell.  The latter I hear about Chicago, specificially, but you would expect some of that everywhere.

Eek, if I was a dude you'd think you had a creepy stalker.  That did NOT come out the way I intended. 

I just mean that you seem like someone I'd dig.  Did you see my post earlier (I think it was on the UMich 1L Diaries thread) about how incredibly chill the soon-to-be Wolverine 1Ls strike me?  I swear to joe, that played a big part in my decision.  I am so not interested in studying with the vein-popping-out-of-the-forehead types for three years.

awww....man! are all the chill kids going to Michigan :(  perhaps I can sit outside and watch through the glass :)

but i second the emotion--i don't think i can handle three years of frazzled, stressed out, book stealing, type A personalities. maybe i'll hide random comics in the books I know we'll all be using, just to freak 'em out.  :)

Stephon Devante

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2006, 08:10:06 PM »

Lol...nice analysis...  ;D
Paradiso: Vanderbilt ($$), UNC ($$), Wake Forest ($$$$), William & Mary ($$)
Purgatorio: Duke (WL), Northwestern (WL)
Inferno: Texas, Michigan, Penn, Cornell, Virginia

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?&cycle=0506&user=sdevante

Jolie Was Here

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3L. Meh.
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2006, 08:14:22 PM »

awww....man! are all the chill kids going to Michigan :(  perhaps I can sit outside and watch through the glass :)

but i second the emotion--i don't think i can handle three years of frazzled, stressed out, book stealing, type A personalities. maybe i'll hide random comics in the books I know we'll all be using, just to freak 'em out.  :)

greengrl, you can come play in our sandbox anytime! 
I was referring to your intellectual penis. Which is quite robust.

Jolie is creeping up on me. 

Momo09

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2006, 01:14:09 AM »
I have to say, based on my education experiences so far, the worst thing about higher learning is finding out just how brilliant some people really are and realize you are not one.

I have met some increadibly bright people who do things absolutely amazing, and I was unable to match that. Yet I have reached inner peace with my measily 140 IQ and just above average performance. 

Like what others have said, there different types of competitions.  The bad one is when stupid people sabotage others to gain undeserving advantage.  The other is when you know you are getting your ass kicked by much smarter people so you stay up longer, try to read faster, and work harder than you ever thought possible or wanted to and realize that's what you need just to survive.  Believe me, when the class genius offers you answers you couldn't possibly have dreamed of, on neatly typed notes and offers to help you study, some people will take this generosity as competition and create hate. 

What you will find (if you haven't) if that the first time you are exposed to greatness will be the worst day of your life, because you will realize for the first time, you are not great and seeing what greatness is and knowing how short you are will be your saddest day.
Bruin once again.

slacker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2006, 02:56:12 AM »
i plan on telling them, i dont discuss grades, tests, or progress.  if someone was gone and needs a copy of an outline, that's different, but anything else serves no purpose.  someone will always feel worse after that type of exchange.

i'm old and cranky and can get away with it.
I won't discuss exams -- especially not right after taking them. I think that's a simple measure for sanity.

I do willingly give notes to people who've missed a class and, on the rare occasion that I've got one that no one else does, outlines.

The person who has the most impact on my performance is me. Giving my notes to someone else doesn't hurt me in terms of class standing, and does help to keep me human.

cyberrev

« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2006, 09:40:43 AM »
i plan on telling them, i dont discuss grades, tests, or progress.  if someone was gone and needs a copy of an outline, that's different, but anything else serves no purpose.  someone will always feel worse after that type of exchange.

i'm old and cranky and can get away with it.
I won't discuss exams -- especially not right after taking them. I think that's a simple measure for sanity.

I do willingly give notes to people who've missed a class and, on the rare occasion that I've got one that no one else does, outlines.

The person who has the most impact on my performance is me. Giving my notes to someone else doesn't hurt me in terms of class standing, and does help to keep me human.

and even if it would hurt my class standing, i'd do it anyway.  what comes around, goes around.

MindTheGap76

• Sr. Citizen
  • UChicago Alum ('08)
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2006, 04:01:00 PM »

Both apply to Chicago

Incorrect.

Lionel Hutz

• Sr. Citizen
  • aka Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
    • smarter
« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2006, 04:55:09 PM »
I do not buy that Cardozo and St. Johns are two of the most competitive law schools in the country. I'll accept that a tough market and being a lower-ranked school in a city with a surfeit of law schools would kick up the pressure a notch, but it's just not the sense I got at either school. I may turn out to be very wrong on this, and I will know for sure in a few months, but I am sceptical.

As far as I can tell, their rankings are based on respondents to online surveys. Given the amount of traffic on their message boards, I doubt that they have a very broad sampling.
Don't touch my stuff!...Hey this isn't the YMCA!

SJU 09

bruin

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • lsn profile
« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2006, 05:20:05 PM »

Both apply to Chicago

Incorrect.

It did at least in the mid 90's, if my law prof boss is to be believed.
Attending UVa
Click below for more info
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=bruin04
Come on, I know you want to click me.