Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Most Competitive/Cut throat students  (Read 14713 times)

SoCo2008

Most Competitive/Cut throat students
« on: June 19, 2006, 09:03:11 AM »
I was trying to think of schools that Ive heard have the most competitve/cut throat students and ones that have students that are more friendly/willingly to help each other out.

I remember there was an old thread on this topic...but Im too lazy to go thru 50pgs to search for it. I remember reading Georgetown was competetive but I heard from a student thats not the case. Any thoughts...on any schools?

Alamo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Most Competitive/Cut throat students
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2006, 09:11:29 AM »
UC Hastings also has a pretty cutthroat rep.  I've also heard it rumored about Columbia and Chicago, but I've also heard denials of this as well.  It's really hard to know what to believe before you get somewhere and experience it for yourself.
I must admit that I may have been infected with society's prejudices and predilections and attributed them to God . . . and that in years hence I may be seen as someone who was on the wrong side of history.  I don't believe such doubts make me a bad Christian.  I believe they make me human . . .

SplitFinger

• Sr. Citizen
  • I'm a real pretend lawyer now!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2006, 09:16:52 AM »
I've heard from people at other schools that students at the school I'm going to are hyper-competitive, but I've also heard from people who actually go there that it's actually not so bad.

I'm currently trying to figure out the best way to communicate to everyone in my 1L section that there's no need for b---s--- tricks like hiding books in the library and stuff, and that while I'm normally a very laid-back guy, I will be first in line to organize a lynch mob if anybody pulls any crap like that.  :)  I'm too old to put up with that kind of garbage.

Emory '09

LSN

greengrl

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2006, 09:25:40 AM »
I've heard from people at other schools that students at the school I'm going to are hyper-competitive, but I've also heard from people who actually go there that it's actually not so bad.

I'm currently trying to figure out the best way to communicate to everyone in my 1L section that there's no need for b---s--- tricks like hiding books in the library and stuff, and that while I'm normally a very laid-back guy, I will be first in line to organize a lynch mob if anybody pulls any crap like that.  :)  I'm too old to put up with that kind of garbage.

agreed. i just hope that if this is an issue the administration at my university is prepared to deal with it. because i'm not in any mood to look like a moron because someone feels that their "academic advantage" is their range of clepto skills.

on that note, has anyone considered how they will avoid the "stress ovens"? you know, those people that have to tell you nine million times how stressed they are and check in with you and make sure you are just as stressed and find out EVERYTHING you are doing to study and check in with you every day to see how far you are in the reading assignments--you KNOW the people i'm talking about. i'm just afraid my collegiate, kind personality is going to break down and female dog slap the first person who finds the need to be up in my business all the time.

thoughts?

cyberrev

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2006, 09:27:59 AM »
i plan on telling them, i dont discuss grades, tests, or progress.  if someone was gone and needs a copy of an outline, that's different, but anything else serves no purpose.  someone will always feel worse after that type of exchange.

i'm old and cranky and can get away with it.

CoxlessPair

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2006, 01:25:36 PM »
I just looked at that Princeton Review most competitive law school page and it just seems off.

For those of you who didn't see the link:

Most Competitive Law Students:
1. Baylor
2. St. Johns (NY)
3. Cardozo
4. Roger Williams
5. St. Mary's (TX)
6. Ohio Northern
7. Suffolk
8. Brigham Young
9. Cornell
10. Ohio State

Only two T1 (and 1 T14) programs? And a bunch of T4? It just seems like a very random listing.
Air Force JAG Corps

goodnews

• Sr. Citizen
  • We're moving to where??
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2006, 01:31:41 PM »
Those Princeton Review rankings seem off in general. 
I'm pretty sure I'm going to be a W O L V E R I N E

Andrew Largeman

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2006, 01:36:21 PM »
A lower ranked school might be competitive if the students are trying to transfer to a better school. Just a hypothesis.

denk

• Sr. Citizen
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - music_art_pdx
    • View Profile
    • My Pre-law blog
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2006, 01:37:41 PM »
Only two T1 (and 1 T14) programs? And a bunch of T4? It just seems like a very random listing.

That's actually exactly what I would expect.