Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Most Competitive/Cut throat students  (Read 15943 times)

Alamo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Most Competitive/Cut throat students
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2006, 01:38:36 PM »
I just looked at that Princeton Review most competitive law school page and it just seems off.

For those of you who didn't see the link:

Most Competitive Law Students:
1. Baylor
2. St. Johns (NY)
3. Cardozo
4. Roger Williams
5. St. Mary's (TX)
6. Ohio Northern
7. Suffolk
8. Brigham Young
9. Cornell
10. Ohio State

Only two T1 (and 1 T14) programs? And a bunch of T4? It just seems like a very random listing.

A lower ranked school might be competitive if the students are trying to transfer to a better school. Just a hypothesis.

Yes.  You don't have to be as competitive at Yale as you do at Cooley, because you're going to get a great job no matter what.  Everyone at the lower tiered schools is fighting to transfer up, or at least rank near the top of their class.  I don't think that we should equate higher ranked schools with higher degrees of internal competitiveness.
I must admit that I may have been infected with society's prejudices and predilections and attributed them to God . . . and that in years hence I may be seen as someone who was on the wrong side of history.  I don't believe such doubts make me a bad Christian.  I believe they make me human . . .

nmb238

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2006, 03:30:54 PM »
From my friends currently in law school: Columbia and Georgetown are unprecedented in their cut-throat environments. Killer atmosphere, especially for those on Big Law track.

Im surprised Cornell is making these lists- ive never heard that before, but who knows.

Im more interested in those known for NOT being remarkably cutthroat.
NYU06
PennLaw09

RIP Admissions Cycle
11.22.05 - 5.22.06

nukelaw

• Sr. Citizen
  • Get your eagle on
    • AOL Instant Messenger - jimmydahat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2006, 03:40:26 PM »
I just looked at that Princeton Review most competitive law school page and it just seems off.

For those of you who didn't see the link:

Most Competitive Law Students:
1. Baylor
2. St. Johns (NY)
3. Cardozo
4. Roger Williams
5. St. Mary's (TX)
6. Ohio Northern
7. Suffolk
8. Brigham Young
9. Cornell
10. Ohio State

Only two T1 (and 1 T14) programs? And a bunch of T4? It just seems like a very random listing.

This has been discussed at length elsewhere, but those rankings seems to make sense for a few reasons:

1) Some T-1 schools maintain a culture of competitiveness through rankings, public posting of grades, etc.

2) Many T-4's have an extremely harsh curve that can FAIL OUT a significant portion of a 1L class. They do this to maintain their ABA accreditation by having high bar passage rates. On top of that, the competition for jobs at a T-4 is intense since only top 1-5% may be ensured big law.

3) In rural markets with less employers, a local school again may face tough competition throughout for limited big law opportunities.

CoxlessPair

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2006, 11:41:57 AM »
Having recently finished my 1L, I continue to take issue with this whole competitive/non-competitive classification system.

The premise that the Yale Law student are more laid back than some T4 b/c their jobs are secure just seems faulty. Not including the handful of accidental geniuses among the group, I'm sure every Yale student has had to put foot to ass to get them to New Haven. Most of them I'm sure are highly ambitious and motivated people, the fact that they were accepted validates that. Do they flip the switch into off once they start 1L? "Well, I'm guaranteed a six figure job and in that Yale doesn't really grade anyone, I might as well bong a couple beers." Comparatively, people at T4s aren't always trying to transfer up and thus work harder.

Admittedly, I'm a very Type-A personality and I'm probably projecting a bit but I'm solidly in the opinion that everyone in law school works as hard as they can to do as well as they can. I draw the analogy to when I was a collegiate athlete and you had the few slackers on the team. I never could understand why someone what voluntarily join a sport so grueling and difficult and not go 100%. It seems like a pure waste of time otherwise. Why join the game if you aren't ready to play?

2-
Air Force JAG Corps

bruin

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • lsn profile
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2006, 12:26:31 PM »

That acutally sounds about right
Attending UVa
Click below for more info
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=bruin04
Come on, I know you want to click me.

bruin

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • lsn profile
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2006, 12:27:43 PM »
I'm probably projecting a bit but I'm solidly in the opinion that everyone in law school works as hard as they can to do as well as they can.

:D :D
Yes, you are projecting yourself, by quite a bit.
Attending UVa

bruin

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • lsn profile
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2006, 12:29:35 PM »
From my friends currently in law school: Columbia and Georgetown are unprecedented in their cut-throat environments. Killer atmosphere, especially for those on Big Law track.

Im surprised Cornell is making these lists- ive never heard that before, but who knows.

I have heard the same things, especially about Georgetown. Chicago too, an opinion which comes straight from my somewhat recent Chicago grad professor/boss. Haven't heard this about Cornell either. Who knew?
Attending UVa

Jolie Was Here

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3L. Meh.
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2006, 12:46:44 PM »
Having recently finished my 1L, I continue to take issue with this whole competitive/non-competitive classification system.

The premise that the Yale Law student are more laid back than some T4 b/c their jobs are secure just seems faulty. Not including the handful of accidental geniuses among the group, I'm sure every Yale student has had to put foot to ass to get them to New Haven. Most of them I'm sure are highly ambitious and motivated people, the fact that they were accepted validates that. Do they flip the switch into off once they start 1L? "Well, I'm guaranteed a six figure job and in that Yale doesn't really grade anyone, I might as well bong a couple beers." Comparatively, people at T4s aren't always trying to transfer up and thus work harder.

Admittedly, I'm a very Type-A personality and I'm probably projecting a bit but I'm solidly in the opinion that everyone in law school works as hard as they can to do as well as they can. I draw the analogy to when I was a collegiate athlete and you had the few slackers on the team. I never could understand why someone what voluntarily join a sport so grueling and difficult and not go 100%. It seems like a pure waste of time otherwise. Why join the game if you aren't ready to play?

2-

It depends on how you define "competitive".  A person can be driven, holding himself to a particular standard of excellence and striving to do the best work of which he is capable.  And yes, I'll concede that this mindset probably dominates at a school like Yale.  That doesn't neccessarily mean that this student will worry about how he's performing relative to his peers. 

My understanding is that the OP was looking for insight into which schools have the strongest atmosphere of interpersonal competition (rather than intrapersonal).  And it makes sense to me that, as a very general rule, the top law schools will have less institutionalized interpersonal competition.  Sure, most T14 students will still strive to do well and work hard just like most law students at any school.  But even students in the lower half of the class can feel fairly secure in their post-JD prospects, and therefore their greatest incentive to compete with their peers is removed. 

That said, there's something about the legal profession that seems to act as a sure-fire magnet for severely Type-A assclowns.  Lord, let me avoid as many of them as possible!
I was referring to your intellectual penis. Which is quite robust.

Jolie is creeping up on me. 

SoCo2008

« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2006, 04:14:05 PM »
Yeah I meant competitive/cut-throat like hiding books, telling peers wrong information on purpose, and all that crazy stuff....I did not mean competitive/cut-throat as in being driven, holding yourself to higher standard, etc. 

bruin

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • lsn profile
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2006, 04:39:29 PM »
Yeah I meant competitive/cut-throat like hiding books, telling peers wrong information on purpose, and all that crazy stuff....I did not mean competitive/cut-throat as in being driven, holding yourself to higher standard, etc. 

Just to clarify, it was the former that I've heard about Cornell.  The latter I hear about Chicago, specificially, but you would expect some of that everywhere.

Both apply to Chicago
Attending UVa