Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Law related internships to get after first year of college  (Read 4321 times)

aug1

• View Profile
Law related internships to get after first year of college
« on: June 18, 2006, 07:18:21 AM »
I am currently a highschool senior who has been accepted into Yale.  I plan on double majoring in physics and economics.  I would like to be a patent attroney someday.  I want to intelligently use the next four years to increase my chance of acceptance into top law schools.

For personal reasons, I can't work this summer but would like to have a law related internship next summer.  I do not have any work experience in law related fields and would like to know how to begin. 

I can think of interning in the local DA's office, in a district judge's office, or in a law firm.  How should I go about finding an internship position in these areas?  Should I just send my resume and cover letter?  Should I make a personal visit?  What other ways will I have, as a college freshman, to look for these internship positions and get them?  Lastly, what other law related internship positions are there other than the other three?

Even if your knowledge does not directly answer my questions, I would be delighted if you would share your knowledge and/or experiences.

Thank you sincerely,     

NJHandyGirl

• Sr. Citizen
  • Are you listening or are you waiting to talk?
    • View Profile
Re: Law related internships to get after first year of college
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2006, 08:21:37 AM »
As a high school senior, you will be hard pressed to get a law-related internship over 1Ls and recent grads (undergrad). Your best bet would be to volunteer at an "advocacy" type group. I don't know where you are from, but, there might be an innocence project in your area or an organization which provides free/low-cost legal assistance. You will learn a lot of research-type skills and start to pad your resume with the type of knowledge that will help you get a job during your 1L summer.

Also, as each summer progresses between now and your 1L year, you may have the opportunity to obtain a paid job.

Good luck!
Attending: Georgia State
I'm not a lawyer, I just watch one on TV.

aug1

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2006, 10:14:48 AM »
"Legal assistance" groups do sound like a good place to begin.  Volunteering/interning in them will definitely be on my list to consider doing in my first summer in college.  Thank you NYHandyGirl! 

Any other ideas from other members?  The more advice the better  ;).

Ipsa Dixit

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2006, 10:26:08 PM »
Get involved in student government when you are an undergrad for exposure to rules and regulations or what not. 

See what resources your school has such as an internship center that could help you find an opportunity in the area you are interested in.  My undergrad school had such a center and you could read past students comments about their intern experience. 

If you can't get an internship at an office that does something similar to what you are interested in (patent attorney), call some places and see if you can do some informational interviews.  This way you can learn more and find out if you are truly interested in that area.

(I thought for a time that I was interested in criminal law, but after interning a summer with the investigators at a DA's office, I realized criminal justice was not for me.  A very valuable learning experience!)
'tis herself!

PhiMuAmberkins

• Sr. Citizen
  • A self-tar.
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - amberkinsluvyoulongtime
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2007, 05:27:25 PM »
I got an internship as a legal researcher at a small firm in my hometown after my second year of undergrad.  I probably could have gotten it after my first year, but I worked at a summer camp instead.  It can be done, you just have to work for it!

Denny Crane

• LSD Obsessed
  • Where's my Shirley Schmidt-ho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2007, 06:49:57 PM »
Look into the DC Public Defender's Service (or any city's public defender's service).  They offer work that is very hands on and substantive.  Unfortunately I was only waitlisted for the DC PDS, but I imagine it would have been a wonderful experience.
Yale.Law.School.2010

jeffrey

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2007, 02:35:42 AM »
actually, i think that in your case a science related internship/job would strenghen your application since it would definitely stand out in a pool of political sci majors who interned t the gov't office.
lol.which is what i'm dping..so go for something with science-a def.+

tehjew

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2007, 02:46:21 AM »
I'm a first year student in undergrad right now and I just got finished with setting up an internship with the State Attorney's office.

Call lawyers. Network. Be motivated. Don't expect pay.

It's very possible to do. Determination and networking is whats most important.

I knew a friend who knew a lawyer who got me the human resource director's email who gave me a call after the email and then we had an interview. And then I got the internship.

ANBUDOM

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2007, 04:54:22 AM »
why does a recent high school graduate have more initiative and drive than most law students????

are you gonna become president?
testing testing 1 2 3

bamf

• Sr. Citizen
  • legal eagle
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2007, 08:53:49 PM »
wow
guys
deep breath
talk to your career services people once you get to college

but really, the best thing you can do
is to stop caring about law school for a while
and just care about the work you have to do in UG
and get the HECK off this website
or you will drive yourself insane
2L, Boston College Law

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/bamf

Around from time to time.  Always willing to answer any Qs about BC, my '06/'07 cycle or law school in general ... PMs work better ...