Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Admissions Advice  (Read 806 times)

jarhead

• Sr. Citizen
  • "i keeps it reeaal!"
    • View Profile
Admissions Advice
« on: June 17, 2006, 02:55:13 PM »
Hello everyone. I'm hoping you all will give me some advice. I am an older student looking to apply for Fall 07. I would like to know what people wrote about in there personal statements and do they think it made a difference. I've been adivsed to talk about socioeconomic factors etc. problem is I'm 33 and though I did have socioeconomic factors growing up I have a very good paying job now, I did a stint in the military, work as a government contractor and have all kinds of life and work experience since that time. I'm afraid if I don't tell the typical growing up in the hood story then my statement won't cut the mustard. In additon seems kind of lame to write about something that affected me as a teen ager now that I am grown. Any advice by those who have been accepted could give would be greatly appreciated.
...man, you was who you was before you got here

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Admissions Advice
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2006, 03:15:23 PM »
that's still your story tho, so don't feel like you have to exclude it.  The whole point of the personal statement is to give the ad coms an inside picture as to what you're about - how you got here is a large part of that.
"A lawyer's either a social engineer or a parasite on society. A social engineer is a highly skilled...lawyer who understands the Constitution of the U.S. and knows how to explore its uses in the solving of problems of local communities and in bettering [our] conditions."
Charles H. Houston

jnc18

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2006, 04:53:47 PM »
I would say focus it on your more recent experiences, how you are now, and what leads you to law school.

You don't need to force some "up-out-the-hood" story, but if you overcame anything significant in your younger days you can at least mention it in a paragraph within context.

jarhead

• Sr. Citizen
  • "i keeps it reeaal!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2006, 06:14:57 PM »
thanks for the advice so far but I'm more interested in knowing the range of subjects people wrote about. Paritcularly those who are not right out of college. I plan on including an addendum discussing my socioeconomic roots but I am trying to gauge if anyone was succesful writing about something other than overcoming disadvantage, no offense to anyone but keeping it real I am pretty far removed from that time in my life right now.

PaddyWack

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2006, 08:08:21 PM »
I spent less than a paragraph talking about my socioeconomic status, but my PS was peppered with references to it throughout.  In talking about other relevant subjects, I would hint at it (e.g. I made a joke about living with my mom, brother, and a legion of cockroaches who thought they owned the place, while discussing how my mom wanted me to be a doctor). I talked about my Mom's aspirations for me, and how trying to follow that wasn't good for me.  I moved on to talk about how deciding to pursue my own interests led me to achieve a great deal, gain experience elsewhere, and eventually a decision to attend law school.

Don't beat them over the head with some sob story about growin up poor; they've heard it before and you might sound like you're trying to buy sympathy.  Don't make it the primary subject of your PS.  Talk about other significant achievements, and how your SE background influenced your mindset and actions in pursuit of those achievements.  Remember, you're tough.  You went through a lot; you enjoyed the good, overcame the bad, and you're not sorry you went through it all because it made you the person you are today.

jarhead

• Sr. Citizen
  • "i keeps it reeaal!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2006, 07:38:31 PM »
Okay thanks that helps a lot.

Young Esq.

• Sr. Citizen
  • B-More Careful
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2006, 10:11:26 AM »
It is lame to write about something that affected you as a teenager now that you are grown. To be honest your 33, If you dwell on “growing up in the hood” Adcoms will know what you are doing. Talk a lot about your military experience because it shows your character and discipline and some on how that experience may have taken you out of the hood. Other than that I would focus on your professional experience and if you have done anytime overseas I would play that up a lot. The key is to stand out in a positive light and your professional and military experience does that more than your “growing up in the hood” experience.