Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: How much use will my laptop get?  (Read 2240 times)

euphuistical

• View Profile
How much use will my laptop get?
« on: June 17, 2006, 01:36:04 AM »
In general I prefer desktop computers, so how much will I be using my laptop? Will I be using it way more than my desktop, or will its use be more limited?

If I am going to be on it all the time I will look in to getting a better one, but if its just a situation where I don't need to use it all the time I want to invest in a cheaper one.

hereshopin

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: How much use will my laptop get?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2006, 04:09:44 AM »
In general I prefer desktop computers, so how much will I be using my laptop? Will I be using it way more than my desktop, or will its use be more limited?

If I am going to be on it all the time I will look in to getting a better one, but if its just a situation where I don't need to use it all the time I want to invest in a cheaper one.

All depends on where you're going, each school has different requirements

NYU's the only one I know anything about, but there, everything, all tests, notes, etc. are done with laptop, which it is mandated for students to have.
DeVry Tech '10

euphuistical

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2006, 11:06:37 AM »
I will be going to Quinnipiac.

And I know I will be most likely using it for all tests, notes, stuff when I am in the library et cetera. I am just wondering if I will be using it for most of my writing assignments (if those tend to be mostly written on campus or not).

tonic

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2006, 11:13:12 AM »
I will be going to Quinnipiac.

And I know I will be most likely using it for all tests, notes, stuff when I am in the library et cetera. I am just wondering if I will be using it for most of my writing assignments (if those tend to be mostly written on campus or not).

If you're using it for test, notes, etc., it seems as though that is a lot of use, even sans writing assignments. I know that writing assignments can be long and involved, but notes are every day. Whatever you decide to do, invest in a good USB flash drive. If you have two computers, the desktop will be a great backup for your notes, etc. in case the laptop crashes.

silva

• vc n ss
    • AOL Instant Messenger - donel1921
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2006, 11:50:23 AM »
that sucks to lose everything like that..wow. Thanks for the advice, I'll make sure I get ample backup equipment.
it's funny how money change a situation

tonic

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2006, 12:31:26 PM »
That's almost exactly the system I plan on using. 3 backups are better than one.

Typhoon Longwang

• Sr. Citizen
  • I have the power to stop an LSAT!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2006, 12:31:56 PM »
Seriously, I have seen a number of classmates loose everything, notes, outlines, papers...   

Did she also "Cry havoc, and loose the Dogs of War!" while she was at it?

4DClaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2006, 01:53:55 PM »
Gmail also is excellent for backing up. One account will give you all the back-up space you'll ever need. I have one account for e-mail, and one dedicated only to backing up my personal and work files.

that sucks to lose everything like that..wow. Thanks for the advice, I'll make sure I get ample backup equipment.

Yea, it does.

It happened this semester to a very close classmate of mine, exactly seven days before our first exam. You donít need that added stress if you can avoid it.

I use a back-up hard drive USB linked to my lap at home that is set to do auto archive back-ups every other day. While this is good, if I get a virus it will travel right to the back-up hard drive and kill both.

So each Thursday I back up my school work folders onto my HD space on the schools network.

Then on the last day of the month I burn a CD of those files and keep it at home.

Hopefully not all three would fail at once.

Georgetown

AZWildcat

• Sr. Citizen
  • What LS in San Diego looks like..
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2006, 04:28:17 PM »
I'm sure the PC zealots will go off the ignorant deep end, but Apple makes a very easy solution with a .Mac account.  I am a laptop and desktop user (LOVE my desktop!).  In school, all of my Word files are automatically saved to my .Mac iDisk (which appears on your OS X desktop like it's a regular folder).  It is shared between my laptops and desktop, so all of my computer instantly have access to all of my school files.  There's no jump drive, transferring files, or any issues.

I'm sure XP has a similar (albiet more complicated) solution that you may want to look into. 
USD 2L

AZWildcat

• Sr. Citizen
  • What LS in San Diego looks like..
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2006, 05:06:58 PM »
I'm sure the PC zealots will go off the ignorant deep end, but Apple makes a very easy solution with a .Mac account.  I am a laptop and desktop user (LOVE my desktop!).  In school, all of my Word files are automatically saved to my .Mac iDisk (which appears on your OS X desktop like it's a regular folder).  It is shared between my laptops and desktop, so all of my computer instantly have access to all of my school files.  There's no jump drive, transferring files, or any issues.

I'm sure XP has a similar (albiet more complicated) solution that you may want to look into. 

Yea, briefcase, it sucks. Wish Exam soft would get thier crap together and get a working Mac system.

According to USD, they expect Examsoft to approve the Boot Camp solution any day.
USD 2L