Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Scholarships to Akron... but I want Lewis & Clark!  (Read 450 times)

orky13

• Sr. Citizen
  • Legally Blonde
    • View Profile
Scholarships to Akron... but I want Lewis & Clark!
« on: June 16, 2006, 11:02:43 AM »
I've already withdrawn from Akron, but they offered me a $5000 scholarship today, in case anyone is still hoping for $. I am praying for funds from Lewis & Clark but I don't know if it will happen, though they extended my deposit deadline to allow them to see the situation. Anyone received a recent scholarship from them?

Otherwise it is to Cleveland Marshall on a full ride (thanks to work) that I am bound.
It comes to this: Cleveland Marshall, Lewis & Clark
Waitlisted: Case

denk

• Sr. Citizen
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - music_art_pdx
    • View Profile
    • My Pre-law blog
Re: Scholarships to Akron... but I want Lewis & Clark!
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2006, 04:29:26 AM »
Lewis & Clark is one of my top ones too.  Would you think about staying in Portland?

"V"

• Sr. Citizen
  • Vi Veri Vniversum Vivus Vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2006, 09:50:18 AM »
LC offered me no money while several other schools did - some higher in the rankings, some lower. My LSAT was above their median by a large amount, but my GPA was below it. They seem to offer scholarships more to the rounded applicants. You could give LSN a check and see who else they've offered money to - if your numbers are closer to others who have/have-not gotten a scholarship, it could give you a better idea.

LC is an awesome school, though, I hope they come through for you. When they asked why I withdrew I made it clear in no uncertain terms it was because they were tightwads with the bling. If others said the same thing, maybe it will inspire more scholarships... Good luck!

shaz

• Sr. Citizen
  • University of Toledo Class of 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2006, 01:57:43 PM »
wow. that's exactly why i will not be attending l&c.  if they had given me 10-13k i likely would be attending.  they are the only school that didn't see fit to offer me anything.  i even made it clear in my app that $$$ was a very important issue for me.  i might have been willing to throw caution to the wind if their average starting salary stats were not so frighteningly low. 
losin' sleep, gainin' knowledge.

"V"

• Sr. Citizen
  • Vi Veri Vniversum Vivus Vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2006, 02:26:30 PM »
wow. that's exactly why i will not be attending l&c.  if they had given me 10-13k i likely would be attending.  they are the only school that didn't see fit to offer me anything.  i even made it clear in my app that $$$ was a very important issue for me.  i might have been willing to throw caution to the wind if their average starting salary stats were not so frighteningly low. 

Yeah, pretty much the same boat. I had a school ranked in the top 30 offer me a decent scholarship (my handle gives it away, it's a hush hush secret where I'll be attending). But I also had a school in the third tier offer me a full ride, and I got a range of offers from schools between those extremes as well. But Lewis and Clark came through with just a base offer of admission. I was a little surpised because I'd already heard from several schools by then, I actually thought maybe the scholarship letter was supposed to come later or something. I was excited about LC, but without a scholarship it wasn't an option - thankfully I was accepted elsewhere so my law school dreams didn't come to an end.

I do know some people, like Pass36, who have had success with LC. But it seems like anyone who gets an LC scholarship is very likely to also be accepted to a tier 1, probably with money. I'm guessing with such a big city nearby, they can afford to let plenty of applicants go elsewhere, but I'm still miffed about the scholarship thing.

orky13

• Sr. Citizen
  • Legally Blonde
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2006, 09:32:09 AM »
Just came through with the final word... they don't have money for me... so I had to painfully withdraw (they were my #1 choice.) I LOVE THEM but I can't afford them. Not with free school and free books at Cleveland Marshall, plus my $~35000  net salary. So I could actually afford to take a lower paying job when I get out.

Still, I am very disappointed. I loved that school.

On the other hand, Cleveland Marshall is where my Grandfather attended, so I am in some way contributing to a family legacy, right?
It comes to this: Cleveland Marshall, Lewis & Clark
Waitlisted: Case