54 (25.8%)
gal - no
 18 (8.6%)
Gal - I already am
 11 (5.3%)
Gal - Dunno
 28 (13.4%)

Total Members Voted: 194

Author Topic: Are you marriagable  (Read 15141 times)

sillyberry

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Are you marriagable
« Reply #260 on: July 05, 2007, 03:35:03 PM »
Does G know you're doing this?  Qui, does this count towards implosion?

It does count.  Okay Wiliams Sonoma or Sur la Table?  You'll have to choose one.

Williams-Sonoma, please.  Le Creuset, here I come!
Juicy: UChicago

It sounds so reasonable when you say it.

lawgirl415

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: July 05, 2007, 03:41:16 PM »
My wedding is Sept 2, 2007!!!!!! I can't wait. I am getting married then applying to law school when I get back. I plan on having my ps ready before the wedding. What a busy fall  :D
VOTE MCCAIN/PALIN 2008!!!!!!

lawgirl415

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: July 05, 2007, 03:49:07 PM »
Well, if you asked... ;)

Seriously, I think this society sees marriage as a journey, with dating at the beginning and marriage as the destination.  The problem is that destinations are static -- but people and relationships are not.  Put the two together, and you're setting yourself up for a bitter divorce.

Even if you recognize this consciously, it's still very difficult -- if not impossible -- to alter this unconscious perception.  I'd like to think that I can get around this, but I know I'm probably just like everyone else in this society. :-\

could you dumb that down for us?

And to think that I spent all that time editing out the big words like "conceptual metaphor" :D

People think of marriage as something that doesn't change.  However, people change.  If you try to combine the two, you're setting yourself up for failure.
I don't agree.  My parents are celebrating their 47th wedding anniversary next month, and my older brother and his wife have been married 17 years. If you think they haven't adapted over the years you are mistaken. They haven't set themselves up for a bitter divorce. I hope you can get around this. :) Good luck and I hope you find a man to take this journey with.

lawgirl415

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: July 05, 2007, 03:50:14 PM »
i couldnt imagine me being faithful to one woman, for 40+ yrs

just wouldnt happen.

WOW

n/a

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: July 05, 2007, 03:53:01 PM »
i couldnt imagine me being faithful to one woman, for 40+ yrs

just wouldnt happen.

WOW

WOWAWIIWA

Are you telling me my wife is dead???  HIGH FIVE!

sgtpepper05

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #265 on: July 05, 2007, 03:54:18 PM »
"Outlook not so good."

hmm ... guess not.

lawgirl415

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: July 05, 2007, 04:04:16 PM »
Well, if you asked... ;)

Seriously, I think this society sees marriage as a journey, with dating at the beginning and marriage as the destination.  The problem is that destinations are static -- but people and relationships are not.  Put the two together, and you're setting yourself up for a bitter divorce.

Even if you recognize this consciously, it's still very difficult -- if not impossible -- to alter this unconscious perception.  I'd like to think that I can get around this, but I know I'm probably just like everyone else in this society. :-\

And to think that I spent all that time editing out the big words like "conceptual metaphor" :D

People think of marriage as something that doesn't change.  However, people change.  If you try to combine the two, you're setting yourself up for failure.
I don't agree.  My parents are celebrating their 47th wedding anniversary next month, and my older brother and his wife have been married 17 years. If you think they haven't adapted over the years you are mistaken. They haven't set themselves up for a bitter divorce. I hope you can get around this. :) Good luck and I hope you find a man to take this journey with.

uh...the fact that there are people in your life who manage to have successful marriages doesn't counter a general societal observation.

[/quot]

If you read the post I quoted, the person said, "People think of marriage as something that doesn't change.  However, people change.  If you try to combine the two, you're setting yourself up for failure." OF COURSE PEOPLE CHANGE....That is what I wasn't agreeing with....

sillyberry

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: July 05, 2007, 04:04:37 PM »
Juicy: UChicago

It sounds so reasonable when you say it.

fuwaf

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: July 05, 2007, 04:05:10 PM »
Well, if you asked... ;)

uh...the fact that there are people in your life who manage to have successful marriages doesn't counter a general societal observation.

Twinface, let's tag team and kill her.  :)

mugatu

• LSD Obsessed
  • I'll show YOU pacifist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: July 05, 2007, 04:05:25 PM »

If you read the post I quoted, the person said, "People think of marriage as something that doesn't change.  However, people change.  If you try to combine the two, you're setting yourself up for failure." OF COURSE PEOPLE CHANGE....That is what I wasn't agreeing with....

Wouldn't you then be agreeing with Lily?
Let me show you Derelicte. It is a fashion, a way of life inspired by the very homeless, the vagrants, the crack whores that make this wonderful city so unique.

They're break-dance fighting.