Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What qualifies one as African American?  (Read 5693 times)

thorc954

Re: What qualifies one as African American?
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2006, 01:47:05 PM »
I wanna pet that bunny and eat the pancake...

Question though, can South Aficans(white ones) be considered African-Americans if they truely consider themselves a product of Africa? 

My brother was born in Cali and considers himself a New Yorker like my parents and I are.

OP: You clearly dont identify yourself as black as you stated that you were indian. I would mark down other on your applications then write in Indian.  Asians still get some  consideration as URMs, but it is important to differntiate yourself from other Asian groups which are percieved as overrepresented.   

jnc18

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2006, 02:21:11 PM »
Question though, can South Aficans(white ones) be considered African-Americans if they truely consider themselves a product of Africa? 

No.  In fact, they might be the worst white people of all.

thorc954

« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2006, 02:30:46 PM »
haha, you say that as if all white people are bad.  And you really cant say that they are the worst white people. I have friends from South Africa who were raised after apartheid. They had nothing to do with the whole thing there and are now the victims of crazy amounts of discrimination and violence regardless.

Although, my math professor last semester was south african and he is the closest thing to the devil i have ever met.

jnc18

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2006, 04:02:58 PM »
haha, you say that as if all white people are bad. 

Aren't they?

And you really cant say that they are the worst white people. I have friends from South Africa who were raised after apartheid. They had nothing to do with the whole thing there and are now the victims of crazy amounts of discrimination and violence regardless.

I'm sure their wealth and social privileges soothe their pain

Although, my math professor last semester was south african and he is the closest thing to the devil i have ever met.

Aren't they all?

BTW, I am being facetious.  Aren't I?

thorc954

« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2006, 04:28:46 PM »
lol