Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Northwestern - Shortened Summer Waitlist  (Read 8207 times)

goinCRAZY

• View Profile
Re: Northwestern - Shortened Summer Waitlist
« Reply #60 on: August 02, 2006, 05:49:01 PM »
I understand the frustration, but its a bit presumptuous of you to think that you are somehow more deserving then others becuase you have higher GPA.  The admissions criteria outlines that they will be using both LSAT and UGPA and other factors beyond to judge each person's fit within the class and I think they are doing just that. As the posters mentioned above, you do not know the circumstances surrounding each person's acheivements.  They could be someone who slacked all thoughout undrgrad and did steller on the test day. Or they could be someone who was battling a serious illness or had to work 40+ hours to support a family. You just don't know. And also, people who have an extremely difficult major at a high caliber undergrad could be equally annoyed at some schools that admit people with high GPAs earned from TTT ugrad where grade inflation is rampant. The bottomline is, admission decisions DO go beyond the numbers and the adcomms are there to judge each person's achievements within the context of individual situations.  If you think NW is just LSAT whoring for the sake of USNWR rankings, please explain why they have been the only school out of T14 that looks at the highest LSAT even though its the average that gets counted in the rankings. And also explain the recent waitlist admits with LSATs lower than their median but higher GPA. Call me naive, but I think they are doing what they say they are doing - using the waitlist to roundout their class.  If you look at LSN, they admitted waitlisted students with criterias similar to those who've recently withdrawn.

On a different note, I called the office today and they said that there IS movement on the waitlist and they expect there to be more before they close on 09/15/2006.  Goodluck to everyone  :)

Stephon Devante

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #61 on: August 02, 2006, 06:33:04 PM »
They don't close until 9/15/2006?
Paradiso: Vanderbilt ($$), UNC ($$), Wake Forest ($$$$), William & Mary ($$)
Purgatorio: Duke (WL), Northwestern (WL)
Inferno: Texas, Michigan, Penn, Cornell, Virginia

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?&cycle=0506&user=sdevante

cassise

• Sr. Citizen
  • To eliminate any confusion
    • AOL Instant Messenger - cassise0414
    • View Profile
    • My journey to law school starting soph year
    • Email
« Reply #62 on: August 02, 2006, 10:04:48 PM »
Stop complaining about schools putting so much weight on the LSAT.  You knew they would before you took the test.  Additionally, who says GPA should matter more?  Honestly, there is no "right" factor, only an overall look at the applicant.  If they chose to weight LSAT heavily, get over it, its their choice.  Boalt by all accounts is a GPA whore, thats their choice.  Are they any more "right" than an LSAT whore?  Heck no, GPA's are easier to game than LSAT scores (for example, crappy undergrad, community college classes for easy a's, withdraw from any class you aren't getting a high grade in, only take easy professors, grab a major that is easy).  What can you do on the LSAT?  Study more? 

Anyway, I dont mean to make this a "LSAT v. GPA" thread, what I do mean to say is STOP COMPLAINING you knew the rules to the game before you started.  I am going straight from undergrad, I know this puts me at a disadvantage but that is the choice I made.  Will I complain if I get passed over for somebody with 2 years WE?  No.  Do I think I should?  Of course not, but I understand why it would happen.  There is no "better" qualification in my mind (other than that legacy and URM status should be SUPER MINOR qualifications compared to all others).  Since there is no "objectively best" qualification, you are left to have your file judged by people that do it for a living.  If you don't get in, they didn't want you, apply somewhere else any move on.

cassise

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #63 on: August 02, 2006, 11:38:36 PM »
Stop complaining about schools putting so much weight on the LSAT.  You knew they would before you took the test.  Additionally, who says GPA should matter more?  Honestly, there is no "right" factor, only an overall look at the applicant.  If they chose to weight LSAT heavily, get over it, its their choice.  Boalt by all accounts is a GPA whore, thats their choice.  Are they any more "right" than an LSAT whore?  Heck no, GPA's are easier to game than LSAT scores (for example, crappy undergrad, community college classes for easy a's, withdraw from any class you aren't getting a high grade in, only take easy professors, grab a major that is easy).  What can you do on the LSAT?  Study more? 

Anyway, I dont mean to make this a "LSAT v. GPA" thread, what I do mean to say is STOP COMPLAINING you knew the rules to the game before you started.  I am going straight from undergrad, I know this puts me at a disadvantage but that is the choice I made.  Will I complain if I get passed over for somebody with 2 years WE?  No.  Do I think I should?  Of course not, but I understand why it would happen.  There is no "better" qualification in my mind (other than that legacy and URM status should be SUPER MINOR qualifications compared to all others).  Since there is no "objectively best" qualification, you are left to have your file judged by people that do it for a living.  If you don't get in, they didn't want you, apply somewhere else any move on.

don't you have a personal statement to write?  ;)

Fact

Officer Rod Farva

• Sr. Citizen
  • FARVA #1
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #64 on: August 03, 2006, 12:17:21 AM »
I've got an idea, cassise. How about you do your paper on self-entitlement? Oh wait, you already did.  ;D

LSD saved my life.

cassise

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #65 on: August 03, 2006, 12:38:18 AM »
I've got an idea, cassise. How about you do your paper on self-entitlement? Oh wait, you already did.  ;D

This one is over my head.

Officer Rod Farva

• Sr. Citizen
  • FARVA #1
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #66 on: August 03, 2006, 01:56:05 AM »

This one is over my head.

Can we blame the cheap gummy bears I just ate and move on?
LSD saved my life.

Towelie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 03, 2006, 02:09:50 AM »
If you care about someone getting in with a bad GPA and a high LSAT, you are more than likely jelous. "It's not fair!" is such a lame argument. My GPA and LSAT were at or above the median at Boalt, but not once did I say "it's not fair!" Why? Because adcomms are looking for very specific things that, in addition to LSAT and GPA, make them desirable candidated. As a school that prides itself on diversity in age and work experience, it actually makes sense NU would place more emphasis on the LSAT than UG GPA. But in any event, who cares?! If you don't get in it's not because NU is a "LSAT whore", it's because you lacked something they desired. Get over it and get over yourselves.
Penn Law '09

lawrenc967

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 03, 2006, 04:22:22 PM »
Well put, towelie.

God what a freakin lame discussion this thread has turned into.

Its funny and sad how the law school admissions process reduces people to... well... idiots.

Tulip82

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 03, 2006, 04:53:11 PM »
Ok, time for a topic change...

Can we all go back to wishing each other good luck and congratulating each other as we all get offers from the WL?

Awesome, thanks.
Sprouting horns... UT '09