Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Northwestern - Shortened Summer Waitlist  (Read 7991 times)

lawrenc967

• View Profile
Re: Northwestern - Shortened Summer Waitlist
« Reply #50 on: August 01, 2006, 02:49:23 PM »
I had it from a reliable source that Santa Claus exists too.

p0six

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 02, 2006, 09:04:18 AM »
I had it from a reliable source that Santa Claus exists too.

That reminds me of a funny David Sedaris article that I heard about where he talks about the Santa Claus myth in different countries. 

Anyway, I think that we should be honest with ourselves.  Right now, everyone on the SSW probably either falls into:

1.  High LSAT, low GPA
2.  High GPA, low LSAT
3.  Low both, but Olympic gold medalist

I think they've pretty much said that as people withdraw they're going to be taking people off the list.  It seems pretty reasonable to me that if they lose someone with a super high LSAT score they'll replace them with a #1.  Alternately, if they lose someone with a 4.0 they'd replace them with a #2 instead of a #1.  They have LSAT AND GPA goals to hit. 

cassise

• Sr. Citizen
  • To eliminate any confusion
    • AOL Instant Messenger - cassise0414
    • View Profile
    • My journey to law school starting soph year
    • Email
« Reply #52 on: August 02, 2006, 11:11:36 AM »
That reminds me of a funny David Sedaris article that I heard about where he talks about the Santa Claus myth in different countries.

I love that story, especially when he starts in about the magical bell that descends in France.

Regarding the NW strategy, I'm thinking if someone from category 2 withdraws they are going to jump at the chance to fill that spot with a category 1 person.  Hopefully I'm wrong.

Its possible, thats the point of waitlists, they can round out their class with whatever people they want.  I really don't think that many category 3 people get in off of the waitlist, if they are going to admitt them I think they do it the first time around. 

I think the cat 2 people leaving thing is a mute point because I don't think they admitt many cat 2 people to begin with.  If they do they are high work experience people in which case I would bet they will replace them with other high work experience people.

Officer Rod Farva

• Sr. Citizen
  • FARVA #1
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #53 on: August 02, 2006, 12:28:00 PM »
I think the cat 2 people leaving thing is a mute point

Moot.

w00t.
LSD saved my life.

Jolie Was Here

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3L. Meh.
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #54 on: August 02, 2006, 01:52:07 PM »
Not to belittle anyone's accomplishments, but am I the only one annoyed that NW is willing to take someone with below a 3.0 in exchange for an LSAT that will boost them in the rankings?

Look, I feel your pain, but you just never know what someone's overall story is.  Why allow yourself to get sucked into a cycle of resentment and bitterness? 

This is a sore point with me, as I was accepted at Northwestern off the waitlist with below a 3.0 uGPA and a high LSAT.  (I withdrew a few months ago, so it's a moot point now, but still...)  I had a lousy undergrad record, yes.  Almost a decade ago.  I also had a pretty serious medical situation while I was in undergrad.  After that was resolved, I went on to do an Ivy masters with a 3.9 GPA, had a strong career, and scored well on the LSATs.  Northwestern has openly positioned itself as a school that values diversity of experiences and a strong work background.  Why would it be in their interest to get hung up on the uGPA in a case like that? 

Believe me, I don't mean to give you a hard time.  I've spent a lot of time grumbling about the fact that I was clearly rejected from some schools because of my uGPA, probably in favor of someone straight from college who's done nothing beyond school.  But I give myself the same advice that I'm giving you -- don't go too far down that path.  You just don't know what the bigger picture is, what your colleagues have accomplished or what specifically the school is looking for.  Focus on the stuff that's within your control.     
I was referring to your intellectual penis. Which is quite robust.

Jolie is creeping up on me. 

Luther7

• AOL Instant Messenger - Lucifix07
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #55 on: August 02, 2006, 03:18:57 PM »
well said

Luther7

• AOL Instant Messenger - Lucifix07
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #56 on: August 02, 2006, 03:50:48 PM »
I don't think she has necessarily proven your point.  I think the most we can conclude based on her case is that you cannot solely look at GPA and LSAT as an indicator.  With her, there was a reason why her undergraduate GPA was sub par.  Northwestern was able to look behind that and see a bigger picture using other factors.  Ya, she had a great LSAT score, but she also has a masters from a top university with a stellar GPA and valuable work experience.  No school the caliber of Northwestern is going to accept a candidate solely to boost their numbers in USNEWS.

You seem a little bitter.  If you're not happy with your LSAT score, take a year off, retake the LSAT, and reapply.

aaaa

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 02, 2006, 04:11:56 PM »
I agree the whole LSAT thing is annoying.  I know I'm a better candidate now, with a much better sense of self, clearer career aspirations and more valuable work experiences, than I was when I graduated 6 years ago... when I probably would have scored better on the LSAT (mostly because I had more time to study then).  But, hey, the LSAT is what matters, and I didn't score that well on the LSAT.  It's just like some jobs give you a test to take in addition to an interview.  If you don't do well on the test, there's a good chance you won't get the job even if you have 10 years of relevant experience.

Alamo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 02, 2006, 05:03:02 PM »
No school the caliber of Northwestern is going to accept a candidate solely to boost their numbers in USNEWS.

Very naive.  Why do you mistake realism for bitterness?

What makes you think that you know why adcomms pick who they do?  I wouldn't be too presumptuous - adcomms do read these boards, they probably know who you are, and your whining (even if it really isn't bitterness) probably isn't helping your cause.
I must admit that I may have been infected with society's prejudices and predilections and attributed them to God . . . and that in years hence I may be seen as someone who was on the wrong side of history.  I don't believe such doubts make me a bad Christian.  I believe they make me human . . .

Officer Rod Farva

• Sr. Citizen
  • FARVA #1
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #59 on: August 02, 2006, 05:08:36 PM »
Jolie,

You have proven my point.  Had you not done extremely well on the LSAT, NW would never have considered your application at all.

I'm not inclined to give you my resume, but rest asured that I have every qualification NW claims to value.

I know you're pissed, but what can possibly be accomplished here?

LSD saved my life.