Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: driving ticket question  (Read 400 times)

chevelle

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
driving ticket question
« on: June 15, 2006, 03:15:32 PM »
so i am driving home and i pass a school bus that does not have its stop sign out or anything. the bus driver starts honking at me and screaming at me. i say "you didn't have your stop sign out" and then he puts it out, and looks at my license plate.

can i get a ticket if he reports my license to the police? because i didn't do anything wrong. he may not have realized he didn't have his stop sign out, but he didn't.

__

• LSD Obsessed
  • Chowdah mmmm
    • View Profile
Re: driving ticket question
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2006, 03:20:16 PM »
if you do it sounds like an easy one to contest.

I would suggest writing down all the details right now while they're fresh (like time, location, description of the bus driver).

I wouldn't sweat it, that being said, traffic tix are big money (and passing a bus is a biggie).  But you'd definitly get off.
sometimes I put hot chinese mustard up my nose to see if I'm still alive

chevelle

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2006, 03:26:06 PM »
I don't know, I called the police and they said he was making threats but can't do anything because they didn't see anything.

He probably thought I was 17 or something and felt like bugging me...even though I am 24.

I thought to get a ticket and go to court, a cop had to see something.

chevelle

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2006, 03:34:30 PM »
Probably. I am just nervous because I have a perfect driving record and I don't want something I didn't even do to screw it up.

I mean, I slammed on my brakes as soon as he began honking at me. I could have just kept going since he didn't have his sign out.

So technically, I didn't even pass the bus.

__

• LSD Obsessed
  • Chowdah mmmm
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2006, 03:54:36 PM »
in state or out?

they'll prolly just try to contact you for a few years and not let you vote or something.
sometimes I put hot chinese mustard up my nose to see if I'm still alive

chevelle

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2006, 03:54:59 PM »
I think they suspend your license.

I just really hope nothing can be done, I'm not paying $250 because some bus driver decided to pick me to annoy.

chevelle

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2006, 04:02:42 PM »
I almost feel like calling the school district and complaining to them about how he didn't put out his stop sign and then harrassed me about it, but maybe i should just drop it.

He was some angry looking middle aged guy.

chevelle

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2006, 04:08:28 PM »
I figured that's all they would do if I called, I guess I am just nervous because of the money thing, I know I could probably win in court but who wants to deal with all that. If I should get a ticket, though, I'll definitely fight him.

krumanadi

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2006, 04:17:36 PM »
Probably. I am just nervous because I have a perfect driving record and I don't want something I didn't even do to screw it up.

I mean, I slammed on my brakes as soon as he began honking at me. I could have just kept going since he didn't have his sign out.

So technically, I didn't even pass the bus.

Perfect driving records are overrated.

Oh by the way.

I got a ticket last week, and I don't really want to pay it.  Will they throw me in jail or just revoke my driver's license?  I will mail my driver's license to them if it's the latter.

If you dont pay it long enough, the fines will increase, and they will eventually make a warrant out for your arrest.

chevelle

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2006, 04:22:18 PM »
I figured that's all they would do if I called, I guess I am just nervous because of the money thing, I know I could probably win in court but who wants to deal with all that. If I should get a ticket, though, I'll definitely fight him.

Furthermore, in NY at least, driving violations are attached to the driver, not the car.  They wouldn't be able to prove who was driving. 

It was my evil twin. I swear.

They do, however, send tickets to the address where the vehicle is registered. My Dad has run red lights with his boss' company cars in the city a bunch of times and was caught with  video evidence. His boss really loves the 3 tickets he's had to pay cause of my Dad.

I think I am partially so annoyed because I think he did it because he thought I was some stupid teenager. I am getting sick of people I work with treating me like I am 17, so I am starting to worry about being taken seriously in general because of how young I look. I went to visit my high school and a teacher asked me for my hall pass.

Although I don't think a Grand Am is exactly a speed demon car.