Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Working During 1L  (Read 1157 times)

BigRig

• Sr. Citizen
  • Detroit Basketball!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - BTRig12
    • View Profile
Working During 1L
« on: June 15, 2006, 10:58:07 AM »
While it surely not adviseable during 1L, what exactly are the rules in this regard? I've not until after November. Does one sign some sort of binding contract that is enforceable? Who maintains oversight? Would those Westlaw/library jobs where you get paid to do your homework be available for 1Ls if not binding/enforceable?
Attending FSU.Go Noles!!!

greengrl

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Working During 1L
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2006, 11:06:28 AM »
While it surely not adviseable during 1L, what exactly are the rules in this regard? I've not until after November. Does one sign some sort of binding contract that is enforceable? Who maintains oversight? Would those Westlaw/library jobs where you get paid to do your homework be available for 1Ls if not binding/enforceable?

there is a thread about this and I'm too lazy to search for it. however, the general guidelines are no more than 20 hours, I believe it is an ABA suggestion but from what I've seen there isn't a whole lot of policing that goes on. i don't know of any school in particular that makes you sign something; my school does not allow us to work more than twenty hours. i will be working eventually...i'm not comfy without an income but it will be tough. if you have never worked a significant amount of hours and balanced school (30+) I don't think law school should be your time to learn

amaizinbluechick19

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2006, 11:13:43 AM »
I believe that some schools actually do make you sign a contract... I want to say Case does, but I'm not positive.  At any rate, I second Greengrl -- if you haven't done it before, now is not the time to learn.  And I wouldn't take on anything too stressful.  If I can, I'll probably take on a library job or something of that nature (maybe 5-10 hours a week or so).  You'll have to check with your specific law school, though, and see what they offer.
Accepted: IU-Bloomington ($), Case ($$), American
Waitlisted: ND, Wash&Lee
Rejected: Northwestern, GWU, UNC

BigRig

• Sr. Citizen
  • Detroit Basketball!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2006, 11:57:28 AM »
Thanks guys. I worked 20-25 hrs/week as a server in fine dining during undergrad as it's evening/weekend schedule best accommodated classes and studying.  If anything, I am looking for the 5-10 hrs/week "get-paid-to-study" positions offered by the law school or university. It sounds like this might be an option.  Thanks!! Greengrl you've certainly been a wealth of knowledge for me on more than one occasion.

greengrl

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2006, 01:52:33 PM »
Thanks guys. I worked 20-25 hrs/week as a server in fine dining during undergrad as it's evening/weekend schedule best accommodated classes and studying.  If anything, I am looking for the 5-10 hrs/week "get-paid-to-study" positions offered by the law school or university. It sounds like this might be an option.  Thanks!! Greengrl you've certainly been a wealth of knowledge for me on more than one occasion.
[/b]

glad I could help :) i've worked fine dining as well and blah! i don't think i could handle whiny, picky people all through law school--go the 'paid to study' route :)

tacojohn

• Sr. Citizen
  • "I voted. P. Diddy told us to vote"
    • ICQ Messenger - 176834534
    • MSN Messenger - tacojohniu@msn.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - TacoJohnIU
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - tacojohniu@yahoo.com
    • View Profile
    • Fearfully Optimistic
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2006, 01:57:45 PM »
A job for money during 1L is probably a bad idea.  A job should really be something which you do that you love to do and essentially takes up part of your leisure time.

terralily

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2006, 02:02:17 PM »
I plan on transfering to a Barnes and Noble in the Chicago area and working a max of 10 hrs a week.  If only to get 30% off my textbooks but I also enjoy working there.  On the flipside I am not afraid to quit if it turns out to be too much.
Windy City here I come....DePaul it is!!!

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=terralily

BigRig

• Sr. Citizen
  • Detroit Basketball!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2006, 02:12:12 PM »
Good point. I think I will try to score a job in the library or as a gym monitor. If anything, it sets time aside to study and if you end up having to do too much or not being able to accomplish anything, quitting is no big deal. I am sure most people are facing very tight budgets during first year and an extra couple hundred a month would surely help.

rajkp

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2006, 07:23:13 PM »
I've heard very bad things about working during 1L from the people who tried it. Working 2L or 3L not so much.

Case doesn't require any sort of contract barring people from working 1L, they just strongly recommend that you don't, and everybody from the faculty to the students is recruited for this effort.

Butch

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2006, 12:17:06 PM »
The ABA limits it to 20 hours. Some schools do make you sign contracts (I know Rutgers made my partner sign one.) 

Plenty of people have no "choice" but to work during 1L and they manage. Beyond that, there are plenty of part-time students who are only doing only 3-4 credit hours less than full-timers, but working 40+ hour jobs and raising families too.

It's amazing what people can manage when they have to.

It'll make law school more challenging, but it's better than being homeless! :)

I'll be working 15 hours a week in a leadership position at work, but my hours are flexible and work-from-home and mostly done via the computer. I'd love not to work, but I can't afford not to - and, I think it'll be a nice little relief from LS too.